Can we trust the Cops

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

When you are in the ER…would you be permitted to use the phone by the hospital personnel?
I've worked in an inner-city ER, so I'll take a crack at this one. Most ER bays and especially rooms at modern hospitals have phones. Hospital staff I've seen are more than happy to let the patient use the phone for local calls (keeps the patient happy, and out of their hair).

There is of course a caveat: if the cops feel a need to stand over you the whole time, you may or may not be allowed by them to make a phone call. Of course, even without the cops, you have no guarantee of privacy.
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

There is of course a caveat: if the cops feel a need to stand over you the whole time, you may or may not be allowed by them to make a phone call. Of course, even without the cops, you have no guarantee of privacy.
Good point. So the cops have the right to stick by you in the ambulance and in the ER as you, in discomfort, await treatment?

I don't get it...a doctor is sure to ask you questions about what happened/your injury/your complaints...and the police is standing right there?
Van
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

While the patient is directly being treated, the healthcare provider can ask the cops to leave the room/bay... but keep in mind that the nurses and such might very well ask the police to stay in the room/bay or right outside, if they view you as a threat.

Sometimes you get a break, the cops aren't too terribly concerned about you doing anything, and they go wait somewhere nearby. It just depends. I've seen all of these happen.
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Good points, Jason…which raise more questions.

I think that we, as the readers, are trying to get a sense of chronology of events flowing from interaction with police following a traumatic event in our lives such as a self defense situation where one of us has used defensive violence or deadly force in response to fear of severe bodily harm or death at the hands of assailants.

1. You will be in a dire state of mind unable to think straight, speak coherently, and in a state of utter confusion.

2. The police asks you questions at the scene, you tell them you will not answer any questions until you first talk to your lawyer, you tell them you want a lawyer.

3. You tell them you don’t feel well and want to be taken to a hospital by ambulance.

4. You may be placed under arrest before the ambulance arrives…so the police rides with you to the hospital as the EMT administers to your agitation/complaints.

5. On the way to the hospital the police cannot ask you any more questions because you told them you will not answer any until after you speak with your attorney, right? Or will the police still ask you questions?

6. Your self defense implements will be appropriated as well as your car impounded at the scene, correct?

7. Your wallet, cell phone, personal items...will be taken as well, right? Or will you be able to keep the wallet/phone on the way to the hospital?

8. Since you have been placed under arrest, the police will want to stay with you until you are released from the hospital so they can put you in the cell, right?

9. While in the ER _ the hospital will allow you to make phone calls, you will have some numbers committed to memory, right? Can the police be next to you and listen to the calls you make?

10. As the ER doctor talks to you about your ailments of the moment and the history of the event…is the police allowed to be present?

11. Isn’t the communication between doctor and patient privileged?

12. What if you also request to see a priest…is the police allowed to be present as you talk to the priest?

13. What if you are admitted to the hospital from the ER room? Can the police sit next to you and participate in all your discussions until you released?
Van
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

I'd say alot of those questions would have multiple answers, depending on the force you had to deal with, and the level of force you responded with.

Would also depend on where you're at. NYPD and LAPD are going to act a whole lot more on the cautious and authoritarian side, than say, Po-dunk, Kansas.

Return to “Realist Training”