Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:38 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:16 pm 

MMmmmmm. Just like mama used to make! :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:41 am 

Hi all,

Had trouble again with woodchucks. No idea how they are getting in. Nor have I seen them enter or leave, but they hammered my broccoli. Right now picking some beans (he ate most of those) eggplant and cucumbers are almost ready, also good crop of peppers.
A phantom pumpkin seed took over half my garden, should get a bunch of those.
Fertilized and planted some new blueberry bushes. I have 6 now which should be enough to feed a family of 4 they say. Good picking this year, and the net killed a rabbit and two birds for me, good riddance.

If Laird wants to come down and hunt that woodchuck he can have the pelt and we can enjoy a barbecue and some scottish ale to wash it down.
I hate that #$%@#% thing.
Squirrels for the most part leave me alone, although one year they attacked my sweet corn, which was odd.

F.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:10 pm 
Fred the ale would be great! However I think it might be more appropriate to celibrate the demise of a New England Rodent with a New England cider.

This one comes to mind. :lol:

Now the hide should not go to waste. I understand Sensei Mattson has recently spoken out against heavy weight training gear that is adorned with excessive patches. Well as luck would have it marmot leather is very thin..a great weight for summer.

Now I know that a true warrior in days of old just painted blue tattoos on the body and went into battle naked. This struck fear in the hearts of his opponets. Unfortunately in these days of political correctness public nudity is frowned upon. I know I know whats a warrior to do!

Well one could compromise and turn the rodent into a loin cloth. Not only will this be more politically correct it will also please Sensei as you'll show up at camp with something cool and comfortable to train in...and there's not much room for crests on a woodchuck hide. 8O

Now dispatching the irritating little critter won't be any trouble at all. But we will require a woman with a good set of choppers to chew on the hide.

Yes Yes I know we could just scrape and salt the hide, but this produces a very hard tough peice of leather, fine for body armour but not very comfortable.

I believe given the nature of the proposed garment the leather should be as soft possible so it should well chewed and smoked.

I also recommend that we drink whisky while your women chews and smokes the hide. An ale is great but this is a long process and I fear if that if we drink too many ales your backside will grow to large and your loin cloth will not fit.

This will result in my having to harvest another wee beastie, more ales and more ,chewing.

While this isn't a great deal of hardship on our part you will find that a women only was so many hides in her.

Eventually their teeth wear away and they are unable to soften your leather, you will have to find a new women.

So if we drink ale your life may become an endless cycle of drinking ale and looking for women.....you know kind of like when we were single!

I'm in!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:48 pm 

If I'm going to wear what I kill I need to go after bigger game! 8O
And the only thing women chew on around here are your ears.....They can't sew on patches either for that matter.

Perhaps the deer chewing on my beans a few years ago will come back.

I may have a bottle of homemade cider or mead around here somewhere, I'll take a look. Cider by law now in many states has to go through a pasteurization process of some sort, makes hardening off difficult.

I did make a batch of hard cider several years ago. One can also make a combination cider/mead which I think is called a cyser.

F.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:35 am 
Cider and Mead , my kind of food forum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:59 am 

Both are very easy to make. You should give it a try.
As I said you need natural cider that hasn't been chemically sanitized in any way. I think you can even make it out of apple juice, of course if you have access to fresh apples and a press, then your really talking.

With honey, 12-15 pounds of it and blend with water to 5 gallons and toss some champagne yeast. Siphon off in 6 months, wait another year and your talking paradise. You can be real creative with cherries etc... or other natural or bottled flavors. Skies the limit.

F.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:55 am 

Bet it goes real well with meat pies! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:39 am 
Fred really sounds a good Idea , i need a good new productive hobby !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:52 pm 

You can't buy a good mead or cyser (outside Quebec) so you might as well make it. Just watch out for the buzz, made the vikings silly enough to invade Scotland.

F.