Got any mantis in yer Uechi?

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Dana Sheets

Got any mantis in yer Uechi?

Post by Dana Sheets »

http://www.masterginfoonmark.com/index. ... Itemid,39/

Go to: Video Gallery --> Classic Master Mark --> the clip on the left which says Choy Lay Fut
Did you show compassion today?
hoshin

Post by hoshin »

i rememeber seeing a tv special on Mark back in the 80"s he seemed very impressive to me back then. that web link seems to be under construction, does anyone know what part of china his praying mantis comes from? i have done some on line research on the Fukian area and there was a praying mantis system in that area. all of the Fukian systems have the same kind of feel to them. it has been suggested that they all have a similar origin.
Dana what do you see in the clips that you like and feel are similar to uechi?
the more i look at the chinese Fukian systems the more i understand uechi.
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

The linear answers to circular movements and the circular answers to linear movements.
Did you show compassion today?
JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

I think it's important to keep in mind that these kinds of systems are 'attached' fighting methods.. So reference points of position and motion are only part of the *energy* equation. Energy intent, which can mean many things is core to most of these arts. This incorporates an added dimension to what we see, for 'energy intent' cannot be seen, only felt. Through exploring a *connected* meeting of energy intent, along with position and timing that relates to it, we can add a completely new dimension to what we think we see in "movements".
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

I think theres lots there , especially obvious to me is the feeding the maw the sanchin draw and closing of the gates . and all the good bridging of course .

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”