Pregnancy-Kotekitae, bag work...

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

Heather,
Thank you, and I was not implying anyone here was treating me as fragile; that was more frustration at folks who are encouraging me to use pregnancy as an excuse to pig out and stop working out. I just think that's wrong.

Your cautions and thoughts make a lot of sense to me. I want to continue training, but I do realize that how I train will change over the pregnancy. I do not intend to do anything high impact, and will be cautious with anything even close.

I've also noticed that my focus has changed slightly as well, and the mental changes are equally fascinating.

Thank you Heather, I find your thoughts fascinating and useful!
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
2Green

Post by 2Green »

Hey Shana:

I don't see how some kata practice could hurt during pregnancy, especially if it's slow and form-intensive, rather than high impact.

I'm a guy so I don't really know ... but it seems like an ideal opportunity to hone the fine points of the movements without the risk of accidental impacts or falls. Baby is first and foremost.

I'm thinking I wouldn't want my wife to be exposed to impacts and falls during the critical months, but I recognize the need for meaningful and productive exercise -- so, Kata seems to be a likely candidate to fill the bill if one is a pregnant MA.

God knows, we could ALL use the practice!

~N~
The music spoke to me. I felt compelled to answer.
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

2Green wrote:I don't see how some kata practice could hurt during pregnancy, especially if it's slow and form-intensive, rather than high impact.[...]I'm thinking I wouldn't want my wife to be exposed to impacts and falls during the critical months, but I recognize the need for meaningful and productive exercise -- so, Kata seems to be a likely candidate to fill the bill if one is a pregnant MA.

God knows, we could ALL use the practice!
N,
Thank you for your input and for understanding the need for meaningful productive exercise (great way to put that, btw!), and I agree...practice is NEVER complete...I've started to learn a new form of sanchin that focuses very much on breathing technique, and that's exciting!

So we will take this one step at a time and see where it leads us. I am thoroughly enjoying the commentary on this topic! Thank you!
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Some things are best left to the experienced. And to understand that, you just have to watch.

While the OBs thought my wife was looney, I relaxed and put my trust in her judgement. I followed her to many bodybuilding contests. I trained beside her. I put up with the pre-contest mood swings that come when you get ripped before going on stage. Anyone who pays attention to milligrams of sodium entering her body is a person who knows her body.

She did what she did because she was damn good at it. Sort of in the spirit of Bruce in the movie Bruce Almighty, she was "showing off."

Even pregnancy became an opportunity to compete with her peers. And in the spirit of it all, she "won." Good for her.

Last night I did something with Shana that I have always dreamed of doing. I tried some karate training that I've always felt would be perfect for a pregnant woman.

I started by taking her and a few students through Seikichi Toguchi's rendition of Sanchin.

It's all about breathing done in perfect dynamic and temporal synchrony with slow, controlled movement. I was rusty... I hadn't done it in ... oh ... maybe 2 decades. 8O But it did come back to me. I'll go back to Toguchi's book tonight and brush up on the final details.

Then I told Harry to do arm rubbing with her. No blood, no foul here. Even a hack can do this with a beginner and not hurt them.

Then I asked Harry to step aside.

I then had the opportunity to "show off." I showed Shana how someone could do arm pounding with speed and precision, and barely bump the forearm. It wasn't about forearm bashing. It was all about redirection and control of the person's center.

:idea:

Yes, we are pangainoon. And I did start the middle of the workout with a Go-ju Sanchin. The harder we are, the softer we should be capable of performing. If you don't know how to do both, then you just haven't arrived. This is my bias in karate. I want white to be white, black to be black, and the contrast to be as stark as a human can make it. And I want the capacity to do both - at the same time.

Go ahead, Shana, sue me if I hurt you. :lol: :wink:

And I think - just maybe - that Harry learned something last night.

As they say on TV, "Don't try this at home." Leave it to people who have done the exercise long enough to understand its potential dynamic range.

- Bill

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.

A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

Bill Glasheen wrote:Last night I did something with Shana that I have always dreamed of doing. I tried some karate training that I've always felt would be perfect for a pregnant woman.
I started by taking her and a few students through Seikichi Toguchi's rendition of Sanchin.It's all about breathing done in perfect dynamic and temporal synchrony with slow, controlled movement. I was rusty... I hadn't done it in ... oh ... maybe 2 decades. 8O But it did come back to me. I'll go back to Toguchi's book tonight and brush up on the final details.
Then I told Harry to do arm rubbing with her.
[...]I then had the opportunity to "show off." I showed Shana how someone could do arm pounding with speed and precision, and barely bump the forearm. It wasn't about forearm bashing. It was all about redirection and control of the person's center.
[...]Go ahead, Shana, sue me if I hurt you. [/i]
First, I trust your intent to not hurt me, and I will also be doing my best to protect myself and my baby. In the end, I and my doctor, will all due respect, have the final say on what I do and do not do. While I trust my group and teachers, in the end, it's my responsibility to keep myself and baby safe and healthy.

That said, I am equally excited about the possibilities we explored last night. I think Harry and I both learned a great deal, and I am grateful for his contributions to what I learned as well.

I am looking forward to learning and practicing Seikichi Toguchi's rendition of Sanchin, I found it an exciting new way to view Sanchin, and I can see the dynamic breathing could be very useful in the coming months.

The arm pounding exercise was a fascinating shift from conditioning to practice and controlling the center. I am continually amazed at how much there is to learn!

As long as I can continue to practice in some form and learn new things...I am happy.
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Crystal.Sands.McKinney/Be

Take your time the special day is almost here!

Post by Crystal.Sands.McKinney/Be »

Hey Shana! I copied an pasted some info I emailed you here for any new moms in the forum. Your Dojo family is with you every step of the way. If I knew how to insert pictures on this thing I have 3 pics I would love to post. You are an amazing woman, with incredible energy. But remember you need to take your time until that 10th lunar month rolls around. I was nesting the entire time I was pregnant with both of my kids, the excitement of having my child growing inside of me is the greatest feeling in the world. Nothing could ever replace it. I always wanted to have 4-5 kids but that is not possible due to the unfortunate event of my son being still born and the precautions of my daughter making it into the world. However, I love kids so much, they are the worlds greatest teachers and the future. You and Todd both make excellent parents!

Sue tells me that you are making great progress even though there is a baby in that cute tummy. You may have stitches below keep in mind. And not to mention a 6 week period...yeah gotta may make up for all those missed ones, lol. I would take my time during postpartum to save your health. We will always be here for you and that baby needs her mommy. Once the doctor releases you to light exercise I can take you one day and show you some cool bed exercises that are very efficient in toning and strengthening every where. Your iron levels will be low, so you are ok to still take prenatals esp.during breast feeding. However, eventually you will need to transition to a regular multivitamin to avoid too much of a good thing.

Keep us posted on things you need. I learned a very hard lesson with both of my kids that I bought stuff I thought was cool because it was the "in" thing but gave away hundreds of dollars worth of stuff and realized that basics ended up making sense. Including corn starch powder for diaper rash instead of sticky messy creams that hurt her when i applied them. Remember that stuff worked when we were growing up and it still does. This will save you lots of money and time. I found that Luvs diapers are just as good quality as Huggies. Toys r us sells diapers for more and for cheaper, and they sell all baby stuff including clothes cheaper than babies r us. Although my hubby has to drug away from toys and games for himself, LOL.
Life is a series of quests - become your own hero.
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

In that spirit of future moms-too-be reading these posts...some things I've learned in the last 8 1/2 months:
  • you can continue to train, but keep in mind that your joints will be looser (relaxin hormone) and your balance will be continuously changing
    Early on, you need to watch your body temperature and water consumption CLOSELY. It helps to have partners that will also watch you.
    Remember that you are an "under construction" zone, so don't beat yourself up when your body doesn't do what you expect. You're working harder just standing still, than you normally would.
    That said, regular and consistent exercise is a blessing: sanchin position and breathing, especially, are GREAT benefits to back pain, gastrointestinal distress, and stress relief.
    As you get into the 6th month or so, you may want to stop kicking all together due to balance issues.
    Yoga and stretching are great benefits to practice and health during pregnancy.
    As you move into later months, you may find your practice is greatly reduced, due to balance, weight, stamina, etc. This is OKAY, as this is a temporary situation.
    Even as little as 5-10 minutes/time of practice can have mental and physical benefits. (sanchin in am and before bed?)
    Find mental practices and things that can keep your mind in the game as well as specific focuses you can do (such as practicing breathing, practicing stances, practicing hand/arm positions, etc.)
    Listen to your body and get workout partners you trust to work with.
    Enjoy the moment!
Lastly, I'd like to think my entire Uechi family for thier support. Sue and Vicki, especially, have been very patient, supportive, and wonderful! Crystal and Bill, thank you as well for your support! You've helped to make this a better pregnancy, and I appreciate your help and support!
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Crystal.Sands.McKinney/Be

Post by Crystal.Sands.McKinney/Be »

Any time gal!
Life is a series of quests - become your own hero.

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”