To pump or not to pump?

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

Sorry to keep throwing info on but:

This clip of the Grappler’s Toolbox has a brief glimpse of a move with a five pound full clubbell as an example of one you don’t want to do with a lot of weight so the minis or five pounders work great. This particular move is one in my workout because it works to strengthen your range of motion against a particular submission move:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeRp66tRexM
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

Please don’t divert the thread's discussion over the stuff I am posting.

There was excellent discussion going on.

But ............... here are some more clips.

Some clips of a lady using clubbells:

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?u ... ubbellGirl

Sonnon fit (don’t I wish):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIyHQjNVBOk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdOjvwLOsDk
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

Thanks for the great info Rick! I like the idea of the mini clubs and the XTension workout..finally got a chance to view the vids, and I think this is going to be a new addition to my warmups and a great way to get back in shape after delivery!

So, to get back to OP....I'd love to hear from more men and women on thier thoughts on weight training and martial arts training!
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
chef

Post by chef »

Very, very cool, Rick. You sold me, buddy.

I will check out the price and, if a little high, I can always ask for it as a birthday gift in October.

It especially appealed to me after what you said about Laird. That is amazing.

My biggest problem is that I cannot lift and reach with my left arm without sharp pain...plus, the left should makes a double clicking sound.

Thanks again, Rick, for all of the input and clips. Amazing!

Shana, I will try to make it to Sue's Wed. if I can get out of a Wed. meeting my hubby scheduled with me that night.

Healing to you all,
Vicki
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

Hi Vicki:

Clearly I am not a medical person so please always consult a professional.

My thoughts on joint mobility and mobility recovery for issues that do not include a damaged structure that needs attending relate solely to my own experiences with the products.

I have had a bad shoulder since damaging it in High school football. A great massage person got me to the point it was functional but the range of motion (and clicking noises) was no where near what I needed it to be.

In fact as my school moved into what we call Dragon Flow I found none of my body moved how I wanted it to.

The first thing I did was finally make the lifestyle changes I long since knew I should and dropped from 255 pounds to 205. I still want to drop some more but right now I seem to be hovering.

However, my body still was not loose enough and mobile enough to do the things I was trying to make it do.

So I went searching. I found a great Yoga program (beginner’s) and that really helped.

Then I remember Van posting about Scott Sonnon and some of the material Scott had posted so I checked his site.

I simply loved how the man moved. Powerful and graceful. He had not only a range of motion but strength in range of motion and the combination of strength and range of motion is what we need as martial artists.

So I ordered his Intu-Flow/Xtension/mini-clubbells and FlowFit 2 as a start.

When I first did Intu-Flow I thought – just another warm up program but I stayed with it and to my great surprise my body began to feel different after about three weeks. Very different. Frankly things began to feel better.

Back then I could not do any of the FlowFit 2 movements, but now only two remain out of my reach -- working on it.

Intu-Flow is about a third or fourth generation program that was once called Warrior Wellness. It was developed so that Scott Sonnon could recover his mobility from years of hard martial arts training and competition.

The guidelines as you train the program are to move to the point of discomfort. On a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is no pain or discomfort and 10 is the worst pain you have ever experienced then you go to a 3 or 4. Discomfort but NO pain. By doing this you constantly challenge your body to increase the range of motion but never to exceed what it can do without damaging yourself.

So my arm circles with one arm were not wide or big in anyway and much smaller than the other arm. However, I managed to be smart enough (for a change) not to push “through the pain” (unlike my drill this is an inappropriate place for it.)

Now my arms do a circle as big as humanly possible and that’s both arms.

So the approach worked for me and that is not scientific data but I am sold on his products.

The min-clubbells allow you to increase the range of motion with weight but not so much weight you cannot control it. That is the value of the five pound clubbell they add enough weight to help with the motion but (when done with what we all call common sense) they will not take it too far.

Anyway I have now have a number of his programs (Intu-Flow, Xtension, mini-clubbells, Ageless Mobility, Grappler’s Toolbox, Be Breathed, FlowFit 1, FlowFit 2, Body Flow, Prasara Yoga Instructional, Forward Pressure and a buddy has ordered a pair of 10 pound clubbells for the dojo – school can’t afford them yet but I have plans to buy a number of sizes) and they all have lived up to what they offer to deliver.

Some I am still trying to get the ability to perform but that is the great challenge of progressing. I am finding that as loose as I have gotten I still have bound tension in places that are restricting where I want to go so more practice and work ahead.
chef

Post by chef »

One thing I can vouch for, Rick, no one can refute a personal testimony: it worked for you and increased you mobility and strength. You go, boy!

I am going through your site and check out what you offer now.

Question for you: with a damaged shoulder, did you work both side with the same smaller weight?

Regards,
Vicki
chef

Post by chef »

Hey, Rick, I'm not sure where you have the info for Intu-Flow/Xtension/mini-clubbells and FlowFit 2 on your Northern Lights Forum. Is this on there anywhere with a description and price?

Regards,
Vicki

PS I just registered on your forum.
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

Rick, I was also unable to find on your site, but did go to the RMAX site...but want you to get credit...Can you let us know? You've got two interest folks here!
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

Okay, in keeping with the weigth lifting and MA benfitting eachother...I just had someone send me this article.

I'm not saying Dolph Lundgren is "the man" or a poster boy for clean living...but at 50 years old, he is still quite young and impressive looking in both power, ROM, and physique. The article has pics of him in MA workout and weights. I didn't know he was such a Martial Artist. He puts his youthful looks and health down to a combination of diet, supplements, and regular workouts..I'd also add Swedish genes...but the pics are impressive...some of the article is interesting...discard the rest....

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dolph_l ... erview.htm
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
chef

Post by chef »

Like Shana, I have been researching sites on clubbells and the benefits. It's looking better and better.

I found this surfing on Iron Body Fitness (http://www.kblouisville.com/clubbell_tr ... rcular.htm):
Clubbells® can also be used to rehabilitate shoulder injuries. Well-known Brazilian Jiujutsu World Champion Steve Maxwell® uses a pair of 5-pound Clubbells® as part of his daily workout routine to help repair injuries to his shoulders and maintain joint strength and flexibility. People suffering from loss of ROM due to injury can regain that ROM using light-weight Clubbells® and following a rehab protocol of doing medium to high repetitions in order to build endurance. Even if your ROM is restricted due to inactivity, Clubbell® usage can help regain the full ROM through the increased synovial fluid production in the shoulder joints.
Encouraging for my aggravated shoulder.

Regards,
Vicki
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

Hi:

Sorry I forgot the link on my signature is my forum and not my home page.

The Scott’s banner is on my home page:

http://wilsonkarate.com/

The banner for Scott Sonnon right under the Forums link. Just click on that and you go to Scott’s Home page.

At Scott’s Home page, on the top is “shop” and from the drop down menu select “on-line Store”

On the left hand side click bundles and packages.

The Intu-Flow Mini-clubbells package is about ten down on the right hand column.

($99.95 for two DVD Intu-Flow regular $49.95, 1 DVD Xtension and the pair of mini-clubbells (regular $80.00).

Scott has a tremendous amount of material so it can indeed be hard to find what you are looking for.

I do appreciate you going through my site too –thanks.

(Change my signature. :oops: )
chef

Post by chef »

Thanks, Rick. I will check this out when I get back from work.

Regards,
Vicki
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

Thanks Rick!
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Shana Moore

women specific injury risks

Post by Shana Moore »

good article/discussion on Bill's forum that discusses knee injuries...particularly in women athletes....goes to some gender differences

http://forums.uechi-ryu.com/viewtopic.p ... men#183123
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
robb buckland

Pump !!!!!!!

Post by robb buckland »

I have trained my way back from many, many ,many ,many injuries..resistance training is key !!!!!! :D
Try kettle bells (lots of fun !)
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”