Thoughts on Scott Sonnon’s material and MA training

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Rick Wilson

Thoughts on Scott Sonnon’s material and MA training

Post by Rick Wilson »

Some of my thoughts on Scott Sonnon’s material and how it can relate to our Martial Arts training:

I wrote a number of threads on Scott Sonnon’s material over on my forum and the Coach picked up a few to post on his blog.

Not intending to start any issues here that seem to have developed elsewhere I am simply throwing them out for interest.

The first one is on breathing

http://www.rmaxinternational.com/flowcoach/?p=225

The second one is the one on loosening the body:

http://www.rmaxinternational.com/flowcoach/?p=226

The third deals with FlowFit I:

http://www.rmaxinternational.com/flowcoach/?p=312
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

Rick,
Thanks for the useful information!

All,
I will make this one comment, and I would like to have that taken into consideration by any future posters.

It is each individual's personal responsiblity to filter all information taken from all sources through your own sense of judgement, reality, validity, and usefulness to them. As with all things, take what is useful, discard the rest, and move on. We are adults here. Discussion of opinion is fine, but please leave it there.

Personally, I appreciate any new information, as that is the only way you can even begin to grow! Thank you again, Rick for something else to review and consider if I want to add to my own personal knowledge base.
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

Thanks, Shana. :D
Dale Houser

Post by Dale Houser »

I bought the Ageless Mobility DVD. Hasn't arrived yet. It sounds good, fits my schedule and I like trying new things. If I don't like it, it's OK. I've lost more in Vegas. :)

You wrote some good articles on Sonnon's site.
The martial arts begin and end with respect...
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

Hi Dale:

Thanks.

I love Ageless Mobility.

There are similarities between it and Intu-Flow but definite complimentary programs not replicas.

Ageless Mobility goes into deeper muscle work and movements where Intu-Flow works each and every joint in progressively more angles and intricate movements (four directions to circles to figure eights to cloverleaves).

Ageless Mobility begins at the neck and works down the body.

The body is often worked in four direction then into circles using those movements. (For all three levels of the torso.)

Like all Scott Sonnon’s programs there are levels of progression.

However, in most of his programs they are a distinct level 1 to level 2 or beginner to intermediate etc.

In Ageless Mobility the progression is in how deep or how far you can take each movement within the guidelines. So as you do it more you progress within the move. So this is one program but with many levels built into each move.

Some people break the program out into two parts. The first half (40 minutes) is all standing movements, and the second half (another 40 minutes) is all on the ground. Yes the entire program is 80 minutes. But you don't notice the time and I am always shocked that it goes as long as it does -- it does not feel that long.

Ageless Mobility is unique from Intu-Flow in that because each movement is governed by itself you can tailor it to how you are feeling that day. You can work along an entire range of exertion based on what you want to do that moment.

I often do just the whole Ageless Mobility program because at the end of it I feel so good I don’t want to mess with that feeling. :D

I think you will really enjoy it. :D
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

Rick has posted a nice history and overview of clubbell usage and differences. It's a nice post for those who are interested in this topic and tool!
Thanks Rick!

http://forums.uechi-ryu.com/viewtopic.p ... highlight=
Live True, Laugh often
Shana

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”