Ten Years Ago

New members and old members are invited to introduce (or re-introduce) themselves to the community.

Moderator: Available

Kevin Mackie

Ten Years Ago

Post by Kevin Mackie »

How time does fly.

Ten years ago tomorrow, I was on the phone with George about something or another and he happened to mention that he was started something called a web forum off the Uechi Ryu web site and that I should check it out. So I did and became the first member (not counting the admin position).

Although I’ve been in and out, (mostly out, but who’s keeping score??), of here over those years, It’s been a treat and a privilege to read, learn, debate, and get a chance to meet and reconnect with the finest martial artists in Uechi and other styles.

I’m certain that the frankness and honesty presented on this forum is what makes it a cut above the other martial arts blather that fills up too much of the web.

Thanks, George for all your efforts on the forum and thanks to Van, Bill, and all the others who have taken on the sometimes trying task of keeping this a great place to learn and share.

A mighty big bow to you all.

Sincerely,
Kevin
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Hi Kevin,

You have got class, my friend...but then again you were my student in the old Norwood dojo...and in my Brockton TC classes...so it comes naturally to you :wink:

Hope all is well with you and family...we should have lunch someday. :)
Van
gmattson
Site Admin

Hi Kevin. . .

Post by gmattson »

Wow. . . has it been that long!

Actually, we started one of the first forums on the internet, years before this "Eastern Arts" version.

Can anyone remember some of our earlier efforts? I can remember the one just before this one, where I used a program called "FrontPage" by microsoft.

The biggest problem with the web, was when we rented space on outside servers that went out of business and all our data was lost.

Remember when the site was hosted by usa1 (I think that was the url). I now wish I would have at least kept a record of all the companies I worked with during that era. I'll have to look through the archives and pull some of the remaining early forum threads that I did keep.

Our current site administrator, Ted Suzman, is doing a great job keeping our Uechi-ryu.com and Eastern Arts on-line a record 99.999% of the time. (we had a couple of down-times years ago when Ted was just getting started in the business)
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"

Return to “Member Introductions”