Should women practice martial arts?

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

And you did well, my friend...in full contact KO fighting and in your latest venture with FEARS LTD.

To be hand picked by Joe Lewis is no small feat. :)
Van
robb buckland

Whats REEALLY important

Post by robb buckland »

:lol: Its interesting how important the martial arts training and the association with Joe ect. was sooooo important to me ......
.Now what's important is he's my friend , he makes me laugh ,(and "we" ) do martial arts...and when we do.....he keeps me honest (ouch) !!! :lol: :D :lol: :D
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

Humble beginnings:

Getting your arse kicked constantly; having a knife pulled on you twice; learning to deal with things with your friends and on your own, several years before you start martial arts to fill in the gaps.

My dad threatened several times to put me in a karate class so I'd get my arse kicked well and truly good... alas he could never afford to follow through.
Van Canna

Re: Whats REEALLY important

Post by Van Canna »

robb buckland wrote::lol: Its interesting how important the martial arts training and the association with Joe ect. was sooooo important to me ......
.Now what's important is he's my friend , he makes me laugh ,(and "we" ) do martial arts...and when we do.....he keeps me honest (ouch) !!! :lol: :D :lol: :D
Walter Mattson and I were talking about Joe Lewis at Bob Campbell's party the other night. They knew each other well, as Walter was classified in the 'top ten' years ago.

His nickname was the 'Flying Leather-neck' [Marine Corps] _

I had met Joe when competing in the All American at Madison Square Garden ...long time ago...

Walter talked of how really tough Joe was...and how he would pulverize all comers from any style with his ferocious side kick. 8O Once he side kicked an opponent so hard that he ruptured his stomach.

He also told me a story that underscored Joe being a true gentleman that I am not at liberty to post.

Quite the American hero. :)
Van
robb buckland

Proud Papa

Post by robb buckland »

:D My daughter e-mailed me recently........
".......I saw the pictures of you and "papa Joe" wearing the Fears Gear at George's camp ; I am so proud of you dad ! ..I wish I could have been there with you. "

Funny , sometimes I forget the hero stuff (can't see the forrest for the trees :lol: ) He deserves that title...
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
Van Canna

Re: Proud Papa

Post by Van Canna »

robb buckland wrote::D My daughter e-mailed me recently........
".......I saw the pictures of you and "papa Joe" wearing the Fears Gear at George's camp ; I am so proud of you dad ! ..I wish I could have been there with you. "

Funny , sometimes I forget the hero stuff (can't see the forrest for the trees :lol: ) He deserves that title...
Best to you all :D
Van
robb buckland

Here is one for ya Ladies

Post by robb buckland »

In the hospital the relatives gathered in the waiting room, where their family member lay gravely ill.

Finally, the doctor came in looking tired and somber.

'I'm afraid I'm the bearer of bad news,' he said as he
surveyed the worried faces.
'The only hope left for your loved one at this time is a brain transplant . It's an experimental procedure, very risky but it is the only hope. Insurance will cover the procedure, but you will have to pay for the brain yourselves.'
The family members sat silent as they absorbed the news. After a great length of time, someone asked,
'Well, how much does a brain cost?'

The doctor quickly responded, '$5,000 for a male brain, and $200 for a female brain.'
The moment turned awkward. Men in the room tried not to smile, avoiding eye contact with the women, but some actually smirked.
A man unable to control his curiosity, blurted out the question everyone wanted to ask ,'Why is the male brain so much more?'The doctor smiled at the childish innocence and explained to the entire group, 'It's just standard pricing procedure. We have to mark down the price of the
female brains, because they've actually been used.' :lol: :lol: :lol:

My wife has 10 sisters so I get alot of this injoy ! :wink:
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
Shana Moore

back on topic folks!

Post by Shana Moore »

Let's get back on the topic of techniques for larger/smaller opponents and techniques or training that might be most beneficial to women MA's.

Thanks!
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

"Let's get back on the topic of techniques for larger/smaller opponents and techniques or training that might be most beneficial to women MA's. "

Well that is two seperate topics in my book and you have lots of martial arts to choose from. It's funny I was training in the park today when two young girls of about 14 came up and asked me and my friend what we were doing and if they could watch.they were nice kids and respectful so we said yes.and that we were always there on sundays and if they wanted to they could watch again or maybe even join in...we were doing shaolin body
conditioning when they came and really firing the arms into each other, and other similar stuff :D ..........and when the girls had gone we discussed what we could teach them..and that would likely be governed by the kind of problems they may encounter in life i.e. rape attacks and the like.......so we decided that if they came again that I would teach them Aikido related escapes from grabs and that sort of thing.................then we would teach them maybe how to do some power type stuff like Bitch slaps......there is a lot of stuff like that in TCMA.....but it's not an easy decision to make......................now smaller versus bigger is again hard..in real fights
you have to get rid of any notion of fairness I mean after all a big guy versus a small guy isn't fair.is it :lol:.........there are lots of approaches and some styles are designed specifically with that in mind.......such as Wing-Chun or Tai-Chi..but my favourite is probably Escrima, because it shows you how to use a weapon.....and that is very probably what I would do myself :wink:
robb buckland

slaps (on topic & on target !!)

Post by robb buckland »

"...........then we would teach them maybe how to do some power type stuff like Bitch slaps......"

:D Probably one of the most underated techniques in all fighting !!! :D

Big or small this one works for all ! We used to have to help Michael DePasquale Sr. to the mat ....but once there, he would shut down any one with various slapping type defenses.. 8) 8)
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Yeah a great move :) .........there are a few good ones like that, What I call "stoppers"...With martial arts they seem to divide into sparring type styles.................and others where it is a one off . Trouble with a bitch slap is that if the guy avoids it then you can't just keep on throwing them..so it's good to have some boxing or other (s)kills behind it...I've picked up some good stuff like that.....like .........Dumog , mix that with a bitch slap and you can do some very serious damage.....funnily enough it looks like an Aikido technique ( Irimi-nage ) done badly :lol:
tigereye

Re: back on topic folks!

Post by tigereye »

Shana Moore wrote:Let's get back on the topic of techniques for larger/smaller opponents and techniques or training that might be most beneficial to women MA's.

Thanks!
There are huge variety of styles all around the world and studied for various reasons.
Martial Arts can be practiced as a combat sport (boxing, wrestling, pankration), as self defense training
(Jujutsu, Karate, Taekwondo,Wushu) and also as a dance (war dances).
Others like Tai chi for example is not intended for self-defense at all it is typically practiced for health and longevity purposes.
Each style includes wide variety of techniques (standing and ground techniques):while one style requires less flexibility
,other requires greater leg stability or strong arms...
So what is most beneficial for you, entirely depends on what for purposes do you want to learn Martial Arts?
I'm afraid You cannot find answer to your question without discussion of different styles,training methods and techniques.
It's a pity you stopped the boys...interesting tread anyway.
Eva
JimHawkins

Tai Chi Chuan

Post by JimHawkins »

tigereye wrote: Others like Tai chi for example is not intended for self-defense at all
This may well be the case for certain schools or certain teachers however it was not the intention of the creators of the style/system and is still taught today as a combative style..

Translated as Grand Ultimate Fist, it is one of the oldest and most fascinating fighting styles in China.. Considered one of only three 'Internal' styles, at one time it was one of the most respected combative forms in China..

TaiChi is best known for its slow forms, it is also well known for its close range energy training called push hands, and weapons work, things most of the 'health players' of the art probably don't engage in..

Push Hands (Competitions & Differences US v China--but some good examples of PH)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNAV_AurtKI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zeqVJKg55g
The Mandarin term "t'ai chi ch'uan" literally translates as "supreme ultimate fist", "boundless fist," or "great extremes boxing" (note that 'chi' in this instance is an earlier romanization of modern 'ji', not to be confused with the use of 'chi' in the sense of 'life-force' or 'energy', which is an earlier romanization of modern 'qi'). The concept of the "supreme ultimate" appears in both Taoist and Confucian Chinese philosophy where it represents the fusion or mother[3] of Yin and Yang into a single ultimate represented by the Taijitu symbol. Thus, tai chi theory and practice evolved in agreement with many of the principles of Chinese philosophy including both Taoism and Confucianism. Tai chi training first and foremost involves learning solo routines, known as forms (套路 taolu). While the image of tai chi chuan in popular culture is typified by exceedingly slow movement, many tai chi styles (including the three most popular, Yang, Wu and Chen) have secondary forms of a faster pace. Some traditional schools of tai chi teach partner exercises known as pushing hands, and martial applications of the postures of the form.
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit
Shana Moore

Re: back on topic folks!

Post by Shana Moore »

There are huge variety of styles all around the world and studied for various reasons.[...]It's a pity you stopped the boys...interesting tread anyway.
Eva,
I didn't request that we stop talking about the various techniques of all styles and their benefits or application to the OP, which is techniques for smaller/larger opponents and women MAs. What I DID request we stop is a comparison of my style is better than yours.

I agree that many styles can serve the purpose, and each person must choose what works for them. I also beleive that we can learn from one another's styles, and that denigration of another style distracts from the real learning.

So, Eva, what styles/techniques, do you prefer in your practice?
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
tigereye

Post by tigereye »

Jim,

Look back to its roots,probably centuries ago Tai chi was developed and practiced as a self-defense system,but
today most people practice Tai chi for its many health benefits.
It has been recognized in China for centuries as a healing art.
Even if it practiced only for the health benefits it is a valuable treasure.

Shana,

I never loved other style more as I do love Uechi-ryu. Its dynamic,powerful.
I love the combination of the soft circular blocks with hard, linear strikes, and I enjoy the intensive body conditioning.
It is the most practical style for self-defense.

(and now I must go to sleep.. :) )

Have a nice Day!
Eva

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”