watered down forms or changing art?

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

jorvik

Post by jorvik »

"So the conclusion is that because Uechi-ryu kata can be practiced by people of all ages and in all level-
practicing Uechi-ryu kata in slow motion or in medium speed you will have the same health and meditative
benifits as practicing Tai Chi. And when you practice it in a group you will maintain a High Team Spirit too. "

No Eva
Just doing Uechi slowly doesn't make it Tai-Chi.................here is an article I wrote some time back about Uechi and Tai-Chi ( now it looks rather trite and silly :oops: ..and embarrasing)
http://www.uechi-ryu-journal.com/sept_05_RW.php

However, there are points to be made.....The Chinese MA's are often classified as "Hard, hard soft, and hard".and there is the old saying " Hard beats Soft, Hard soft beats hard, Soft beats hard soft" :lol:
Unfortunately with Western "selling" we are often given the impression that "Soft" is somehow better than "hard".or indeed that there are clearly defined lines between soft and hard.....and then it can get very confusing...better to just think that these are dfferent approaches.
Now with Uechi .we are told that it is "Half Hard -Soft".......so I would then think that it would be similar to say Wing-Chun which is also half hard soft...and less like Tai-Chi ( although there will be some similarities)
........now there are different approaches to "Half-Hard soft".you can get very Hard and very soft within that definition 8O .........but to simplify in the first form of Wing-Chun there is a movement called "Three salutations to the Buddha"..which is often thought of by Chunners as a way of developing "inner Energy"..it is not dissimilar to Sanchin.........and of course Sanchin sounds very simmilar to "San-Ti" which is the first standing meditation of many internal styles..........Without propper instruction by somebody who is qualified to understand the meaning of these movements it is pointless to do them :cry: ......may as well just do hard stuff......and of course you have the Hung gar approache using the "Iron Wire " form...which could also be Sanchin..lots to think about and none of it simple or easy to answer :wink:
IMHO, many of the moves in Sanchin kata relate directly to the first form of Wing-Chun or at least WC uses them in a "Specific Way"...that in my humble experience I have never seen Uechikas use......but if you don't like WC then there is also Mantis.......which again uses Uechi stuff...........imho again lost to a lot of Uechika
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atvZqA7y ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phB8xu1C ... re=related

and after all this talking I'm up to 3,000 posts :oops: ......time to move along.Ta Ta :wink:
fivedragons

Post by fivedragons »

Okay, so now that we've got all that sorted out. Tai chi is a form of chi kung. It's the whole point of it, martial chi kung.

Sanchin is also chi kung, if done with an internal focus. The way that GEM sensei outlined his practice of it, that is chi kung.

So sorry, no secret.
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

fivedragons wrote:Okay, so now that we've got all that sorted out. Tai chi is a form of chi kung. It's the whole point of it, martial chi kung.

Sanchin is also chi kung, if done with an internal focus. The way that GEM sensei outlined his practice of it, that is chi kung.

So sorry, no secret.
Yep, it's great.

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”