tendanitis

Homeopathic systems - Emotional/Mental remedies - Meditation - Focus - Self Confidence -Crystal Therapy - QiGung - Diet - Life-Skills and lots more. Check it out!
Chris McKaskell

tendanitis

Post by Chris McKaskell »

I had some success with one of the homeopathic remedies discussed here so I thought I'd try seeing a homeopath about some tendenitis that's been bothering me on/off for a couple of years, but which really started acting up this past summer.

I liked the approach -- nutrition and lifestyle mainly (less dark roasted coffee :( more raw veggies and fruit :) ), but he also suggested trying 'Ruta Grav 200'.

Any thoughts on this or any other things you might recomend?
Chris
mhosea

Post by mhosea »

Although I don't seem to be one of those who sees much anti-inflammatory benefit, I have heard of people with inflammation problems getting better from using fish oil to bring up their Omega-3 fatty acid intake. In addition to their good reputation with respect to heart disease and clinically proven serum triglyceride lower effects, Omega-3s also have an anti-inflammatory effect in a sort of yin-yang relationship with Omega-6 fatty acids, which promote inflammation. Inflammation is, of course, needed to fight off disease, but you want balance here, and the theory is that most people get too much Omega-6 fatty acids nowadays from polyunsaturated cooking oils, hence promoting excess inflammation.
Mike
Chris McKaskell

Thanks, Mike.

EFA 's were definitely a part of the homeo path's recomendations, so I 've been taking these big fish oil pills - supposedly filtered for toxins etc.

Also, he recomended a subtle multi-vitamin; vitamin D; some gut-friendly bacteria; reduced gluthione (an antioxidant); and a bunch of herbs - milk thistle, for instance.

And I'm having a go at eating way more raw fruit and veggies than I thought possible - along with what I usually eat.

The injury has been subtly bothering me for so long now that I've kind of grown accostomed to it.

Looking forward to seeing if any of this helps.

Anything else you can think of?
Chris
mhosea

Post by mhosea »

Which tendon(s) are we talking about?
Mike
Chris McKaskell

The end of my right biceps leading into my forearm.

It started about five years ago while I was doing some strength training -- curling free weights.

So I laid off it for a while and it seemed to heal just fine.

But this past summer I did a test which involved some threshold training and it flared up again.

Now I can't even do soft work without feeling it a little.

Course, I ain't no spring chicken anymore, but .... it's gotta heal sometime hasn't it??? :?
Chris
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

Aren't glucosomine and chondritin also good for joint health? I realize that's more bone related, but it's a total interactive system we're talking about...

Also, I saw a chiropractor who also does acupuntue, and he helped me address a developing shoulder issue before it became tendonitis...fwiw.
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
mhosea

Post by mhosea »

They're have been some trials to support glucosamine for alleviation of joint pain, but I'm not aware of any proof that those products (glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, etc.) actually promote healing, although as always there is a theory. I've found them useless, personally, but some people swear by them, and I presume that they do something for those people.

I've never had any trouble with that particular tendon. I was just asking to get an idea of whether some kind of stretching might help and whether it might be something besides tendinitis, e.g. what seems like Achilles tendinitis might be retrocalcaneal bursitis instead. Strike one, strike two. I would worry a little about tendinitis that doesn't go away. An x-ray probably won't help, but an MRI might show whether the injury was more serious than you realized. Personally, and that's really the only way to take this because otherwise it would sound like medical advice, I would take the maximum OTC-label dose of Alleve, 3 tablets per day for 10 days. Actually, I'd take a little more than that because its been prescribed for me. Anyway, the idea is to reduce inflammation so that healing can occur.
Mike
Chris McKaskell

Thanks Mike and Shana,

In Canada I can get a good diagnosis -- it takes some time, but I think you're correct: it would be wise to know the severity of the injury lest I make it worse in my ignorance.

Sadly it'll take about three or more months to get in and even if they find the injury is severe they're not likely to do anything about it. The establishment here tends to overlook 'minor' physical injuries unless you're a professional athlete.

Consequently, I see a good PT regularly.

The glucosamine and condritin are interesting. I believe I've had some good results and some non-results -- so it's tough to draw any conclusion at all.

I guess it's time for me to ease back a little and focus on the soft again for awhile -- take some of the advice I left for Shana on another thread! :)
Chris
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

Chris McKaskell wrote: I guess it's time for me to ease back a little and focus on the soft again for awhile -- take some of the advice I left for Shana on another thread! :)
:wink: :lol: :wink:
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Chris McKaskell

accupuncture!

Wow! How could I have forgotten?

I spent a little more than an hour with an accupuncturist today.

It's like having a whole new arm!

Yeah, I know, don't over do it -- but wow!
Chris

Return to “Healing Arts”