the farmers walk-deceptively simple exercise?

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Shana Moore

the farmers walk-deceptively simple exercise?

Post by Shana Moore »

I just found this link online, and this appears to be a deceptively simple weight cycle. I found the mental aspect mentioned fascinating.
http://www.stevewalrath.com/farmers.htm

I also pictured this as a great way to practice the steps in sanchin and focus on proper body alignment. I'd be interested in the thoughts of others as well as any other similar workouts for body and mind.

I imagine this is similar to what I've read about nigiri game (weighted jars), and Ishi Sashi (stone padlocks), as well as kettle bells. If you've done any of these exercises, can you please advise of the similarities, differences?

I'm thinking of trying this in my next workout, and would love some feedback and thoughts by others on the safety, effectiveness, etc.
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Halford

Post by Halford »

The so-called 'farmer's walk' is an old way to build stamina, strength, endurance, etc. and has innumerable ways to be performed. If you have a yoke, you can place that on your shoulders and attach buckets of sand, water, maple tree sap(as did when a kid on the farm during sugaring time) and so forth, and walk around and do sort of squats by lowering your buckets to the ground from time to time. Other ways, include walking, as many strongmen did in the old days, with barbells on your shoulders or carrying heavy dumbbells in your hands(to strengthen your grip) and even suitcases,etc. or buckets,etc. You can also carry barbells or heavy sacks on your chest with hands like a press,etc. or on your shoulder(s), varying the shoulder. You clan place heavy planks, logs, etc. on your shoulders and so forth. You can walk with arms extended overhead with a barbell or other heavy thing and walk around. You just have to use your imagination and take care not to overdue or injure yourself or to show off. Walking in circles, straight lines, or going backwards and forwards,etc. will also be ways to do all this. Or walking uphill or downhill or up inclines,etc. Well, I guess you get the idea. Walking in snow or on sand dunes and on beaches,etc. is a way some do to improve things. Just working a modern gym has its drawbacks for all this, however.
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

This is even more amazing to me. I have actually seen old women back, home in the old country, carry such weight on their heads up and down mountain sides. 8O
Van
Halford

Post by Halford »

Know what you mean! Once in the Philippines,I saw a woman get out of a banca(boat) and stand while two or three men took sacks of rice(real heavy) out of the boat and pick them up and place them on her head so she could walk off with them to the road,etc. Again, I recall in the Philippines another elderly woman walking up a steep hill with a heavy sack of rice on her head, which was well balanced. I can recall numerous other instances of much the same. The various dances that involve balancing lamps, candles, glasses of water,etc. on the head and in the hands at the same time are other similar balancing acts. The skeleton if held rightly can hold a lot of weight. Most of us have not used our heads! We fear crushing out fragile necks and dislocating them,etc. !!! Keep up the good work.
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Yes...simply amazing what these women could do. 8O
Van

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”