Your Bucket list: top 10 wishes?

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

chef

Your Bucket list: top 10 wishes?

Post by chef »

If you were terminally ill and had to make a wish list of things to do before you "kick the bucket", what would be the top 10 things on your list?

Regards,
Vicki
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

WOW...TOUGH QUESTION! (as you can tell by the number of people who have read this post and not yet responded) 8O
...hmMMMMmmm..I'm going to assume this is with my current funds/circumstances...as the list would be sliiightly different if money were no object...I'll give it a try....sorta in increasing order of importance

10-have one insanely decadent meal that last for hours with good friends and loved ones

9-go skydiving or base jumping because I've always been afraid of falling...what do I have to lose besides my fear?

8-Go hiking/camping along the Appalachian trail, alone (at least part of the time) to ponder and think

7-Find a place where I can learn my ancestral Hula, particulary one of the fire dances, if possible

6-Choose the tree and location to have my ashes planted under

5-write letters to my daughter and husband, to be opened on special occasions...perhaps do a video for her 16th or 18th birthday

4-plan my funeral and make sure it's paid for, so it won't be a burden (financially or having to make choices/decisions) on my survivors...and also so it pays honor to my religious choices

3-schedule a week or more at the beach where all my freinds/family can come for my wake, so I can celebrate my life in peace and joy with loved ones while I am still alive

2-spend every moment possible with my husband and daughter, letting them know how much I love them and giving them good memories for later

1-make sure my daughter and husband have support and resources to help them take care of eachother once I'm gone
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Mary S

Post by Mary S »

Here are mine in no particular order! :)

1. Write a love song and perform it in front of a crowd to the person I love.

2. Sleep outside one night in each of the desert, the mountains, a forest floor, a tropical island beach and on the water.

3. Be a hero.

4. Pay for an entire meal and help serve it to everyone at a homeless shelter.

5. Write my novel.

6. Learn Italian.

7. Go on a road trip in a 1958 Thunderbird convertible with my “Uechi” girlfriends across the States from East Coast to West Coast.

8. Play in a major league ball game (for the Red Sox of course)

9. Honeymoon in Vegas (and gamble a bit too)

10. Visit the Andaman Islands
Last edited by Mary S on Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

this is a personal belief ..so sorry to put a dampener on this thread :cry: .......never cry when you are down and never crow when you are UP because the devil may hear you.............all the folks I know that where terminally ill were glad to die :cry: ...My cousin Jude just passed last saturday.
You should live every day as if it were your last ( although I don't, so don't take me too seriously)...but honestly if you valued it, and wanted to do it then you probably have already ..getting married, staying faithful, even making lasagne...for me training my a$$ of and talking about it :lol: .....we have everything we want and need.just LOOK AT THE NIGHT SKY AND THE STARS....face it if it was that important you would do it...value what you have....in my case. a loving family, debt and a shitty job :lol: ..and the occaisional walk in the wilds of Cymru with my family
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

Good point Jorvik, and I see no reason why we can't make such a list, and then go about living it now....sometimes, you need to stop and assess what you want and where you are, you know?

for example...money no object, I'd want to travel the United States, slow down and enjoy it....but I can start today by doing local and east coast road trips on weekends and vacations....

good reminder...live today, because you never truly know how long you have, eh?
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

I'd love to go to the US and some other places, and maybe do some crazy things....but really I reckon the things that are inportant to us, really mega important we have done already, or are in hand.....we keep chasing for stuff that isn't important.....Why?.....If I had a million dollares would that piza taste any better, would that sunrise look any better..does music sound any better when you are rich?
I have had surgery a coupla times and I don't care what the medicos say , they are not Gods, clever as they are, or think they are.they are not that clever .........I thought this is my last :cry: ...I went to a cathedral and thought a little about life ,and realised that one day would be my last day and like all my other days I could be positive or negetive......and you know what ..all the negative comes from folks who have never struggled to raise a family. have never known debt, have never worried about losing everything....and I know folks like this ....shadow people they are...they worry about careers and what other folks think of them, did they do well, have they made money.......aqnd they are not real, they never have been.......but I am real, and what I think is worth a whole lot more than their superficial lifes.........to me at least :)
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I'm the kind of person who lives with the distant future in mind. So to me, a "Bucket list" would be important. Right now my most important job in life is to be a good dad to my boys, and be prepared for a retirement without a working government to help me.

But if I knew I would die soon... Scrap Plan A. Bring in Plan B.

In no particular order...
  • Engage in as many lengthy, private, and meaningful intimate sessions as I can. Equipment optional, so no excuses for how sick I am. The gift is in the giving, or for me anyway. Do it until it can't be done any more. Leave an indelible impression.
  • Finish that book. My first Uechi instructor left this world way too early with a collection of the most wonderful poems. His wife saw to it that they were published after he passed away. *
  • I like Mary's "Be a hero" wish. The what would depend on the circumstance. For instance if saving lives meant giving one, well hello afterlife! What a way to go, and what an example to leave behind for my boys.
  • Tell everyone I know that I love them. Often...
  • Ask something of someone that I wouldn't dare do right now. (private...) No is an acceptable answer. But I'd never forgive myself if I didn't at least ask. What the hell, eh?
  • Leave private notes to my boys.
  • See to it that my significant other is as set as she can be.
  • Forgive and forget.
  • Plant many bushes and trees that will take years before they look nice, and last as long as possible. Spread the joi de vivre!
- Bill

* Smith, Rad: Distant Early Warning
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

No brainer.

1. Find the fountain of youth

Cancel the rest of the list. :lol: [/list]
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”