Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: English table manners
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:29 pm 
I just stumbled upon this, and it reallly, really annoyed me :x

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WiJQl6Bf3 ... re=related

Everything she says is nonsense ...In England you eat with a knife and folk, it is not acceptable to just eat with a folk, or to eat with a folk in your right hand.folks will think that you are a bit simple or a retard.....may as well eat with a spoon or your fingers

Sorry for this little rant..but she has absolutely no idea......why is she posting clips :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:11 am 

Ah York, I'll bite -- seems to me that, not only does the fork never leave the left hand, but the tines should also be oriented downward.

And, when one is eating ice cream, a spoon takes the place of the knife.

Of course, is it not also good manners to always use the utencils your host provides?

I am a mere simpleton at best (from the colonies, no less). Please, correct me if you will.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:03 pm 
Chris
I am no expert at etiquette
but check out this
http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk ... rfood.html

which basically sums it up :D
The thing that I don't like about that silly girl is that she is giving folks totally wrong information and with such authority. If somebody ate like that in public, in England then people would think it strange and probably conclude that they were Americans. Maybe I should go on U-Tube and tell folks how to use Chopsticks .one in the right hand and one in the left hand :lol:
We always keep a knife in one hand and a fork in the other.at least folks of my generation do.but we eat chips from a chippy with or fingers, out of the paper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:21 pm 

It is rare you will ever spot Santa Claus.
It is still rarer you will ever lay eyes on the Easter Bunny.
It is rare again that you will ever see the Tooth Fairy in public.
It is beyond rare that you will ever find an expert posting on You Tube.

I checked out Hazley’s website. I'm pretty sure I would never send my child there. In the meantime I’ll go on eating my Snickers bar with a knife and fork. ;)

When in doubt, follow your host's lead....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:37 pm 
"In the meantime I’ll go on eating my Snickers bar with a knife and fork."

in fish and chip shops they soak them in batter then deep fry them ..something we borrowed from the Scotts :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:54 pm 

haha - glad you liked that (stole it from Seinfeld) but, in the meantime, Jorvik any good recipes for fish? I've had fishcakes from the UK and they were delish!!! I thought the fish and chips from the chippy shop in London was going to kill me (but it tasted terrific)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:53 pm 
Sorry Mary I am a vegetarian so I don't eat fish :wink: The chippies have a special why to cook chips they soak them for a while in low temperature oil or fat and then cook them in very hot fat so that chippy chips are better than home cooked ones.....another favourite delicacy of mine is mushy peas........I've had them as a type of rissole coated in batter in Wales, absolutely gorgeous.sadly that chippy closed down :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:56 pm 

Love the mushy peas AND curry on chips (one of my favs). Nothing better than fish and chips out of a newspaper!!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:45 pm 

:idea: That could make an intersting thread...

different ways to do french fries - and I don't mean with gravy and curds.

I make them at home occassionally as a treat in a big 'ol cast iron skillet -- the full procees takes some time, but the result is deliscious.

Meanwhile, there is a portuguese chicken place around the corner from my shop that I swear is cooking it's chips in rendered chicken fat.

So many different ways to make a fry.

Of course we have drifted...the real question to ask concerning chips here should be, "which fork do I use in polite company?" :lol: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:10 am 

In my house you can eat your chips with whatever utensil you are comfortable with including fingers. Have you ever tried sweet potato fries?? L-O-V-E THEM!!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:17 pm 
I don't tend to eat chips a lot, the only time is when we go the chippy, I haven't even got a chip pan or deep fryer. When my wife was on the "Slimmer's world" diet I used to make potatoe wedges.what I do is cut unskinned potatoes into 4 then put them in an old plastic carrier bag. squirt in a few drops of fry light 1 cal oil , a good heaped tablespoon of hot chilli powder then shake it all up and put it on a baking sheet in the oven........I used to serve with virtually fat free fromage fraise mixed with garlic puree and some chill powder sprinkled on top :) ......nice but not too fattening

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:39 pm 

Bring on the fat! You might want to be sitting down when you read this -- my favourite french fry recipe:

1) Cut up about 6 yukon gold potatoes to look like fries.

2) boil them for 30 seconds, drain them then refridgerate them for at least an hour.

3) heat oil - I use a big old cast iron skillet, but a wok or a deep frier work too. Get the oil to 300 F (150 C) or until a cube of bread turns golden in 35 seconds. Cook for fries for about 7 minutes or until soft. Drain well and set aside to cool -- if you're entertaining you could put them back in the fridge until needed.

4) heat oil to 350 F (180 C) of until a cube of bread turns golden in 15 seconds. Cook the potatoes till golden brown (3 minutes or so) Drain and toss with lots of freshly ground sea salt.

Serve as desired and eat immediately.

MMMMM.

I'm only allowed to make these twice a year.

Gee, I wonder why? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:10 pm 
Just need some cheese and gravy and your laughing :lol: ...or become a Brit and pour curry sause all over it :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:56 am 

Curry's good, but I prefer to use a fork...

but hey Jacques, poutine requires no table manners at all!

:twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:49 pm 
I've never quite got the hang of making that.although in England Gravy and chips or chips with melted cheese on them are quite common...seems it takes a french Canadian to think of combining the two :)