Poll: Why do you train?

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Why do you train?

self defense
No votes
fitness
43%
self confidence builder
No votes
sport/competition
No votes
mental/spiritual
14%
other
43%

Total votes: 7

Shana Moore

Poll: Why do you train?

Post by Shana Moore »

Clearly there is a large contingent among martial artist here that train to fight in real life or to defend themselves or others. There are also those that train for sports/competition. Then there are those that train for the mental benefits and melding of mental/physical. I’m sure there are many other reasons from getting over a past situation to self confidence builder to a simple personal challenge.

Why do you train?
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Chris McKaskell

Post by Chris McKaskell »

Hey Shana, my reasons have changed over the years.

At first it was self defense, but once I realized a lot of survival on the streets has to do with chance my perspective changed. 8O

Sports have never interested me.

The metaphysical side of it is interesting, but there are probably better ways to get there -- say fishing for instance. :wink:

Today it is simply part of what I do. It is a necessary part - like chewing. Very necessary. It makes me whole and contributes to my sense of wellbeing in many, many ways -- including self defense and fitness and camraderie.

Still, I'm going to say 'other'.

Thanks for asking.
Chris
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

I've done lots of different martial arts. and I suppose my reasons have been different for each one. Initially I started with Jiu Jitsu to learn self defence, now at that time I was at a very rough boys school and I used to get into lots of fights and the JJ was useless for them, after that I became a bit disillusioned with the whole idea of self defence.but later I started karate, then Aikido and just carried on changing styles as and when I felt like and I still do that now :lol: ..the focus in karate was fitness, in Aikido I just liked the look of it, very graceful and arty, Tai-Chi the same...............with Escrima because I was learning to use weapons I was very much focused on self defence.
One thing you realise after a time is that some folks , even the teachers have never had a fight in their lives, and have never actually ever used the stuff that they have learned. :wink:

so I've put other as well
Chris McKaskell

It's a pretty small portion of the population that's responding.

I wonder if that's because we all agree and no one trains for self defense any more. :?
Chris
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

"I wonder if that's because we all agree and no one trains for self defense any more. "
I think that the more knowledgable you are about violence then your perceptions change also...I mean it would be nice to think that you are going to be attacked by someone who is unskilled, unarmed and smaller than you are.and that he is on his own :lol:
and at the same time your perceptions of the benefits of martial arts change as well...when I did Aikido I was annoyed at first just how silly and ineffective it was, then I really got into it because it was enjoyable :D

now I tend to compromise, I do things that I enjoy, but I think ( because I work in law and order.....more "order" than law).that I have a very good idea of what is likely to happen in a confrontation, and I do some of my training to fit that....maybe other folks think on the same lines 8)
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

I'm not sure no one trains for self defense any more, but I know that it's not the primary or even secondary reason why I still train. Heck, if I haven't figured out how to defend myself by now then I've certainly wasted my time doing martial arts. I have to agree with Jorvik and you, I do it because it's enjoyable, the camaraderie and I also find interesting how to pass along what little I know in the clearest way.
I was dreaming of the past...
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Mike
I think the thing that I find interesting about self defence, is that some folks think they are doing a deadly fighting system and when you look at what they are doing you know that they haven't got a clue :roll: ....this is right across the board, I prefer folks who are at least clued into what they are doing, even if it is only for some healthy exercise, at least they know that they are not part of some killer elite ninja death squad.........it's a bit like the Buddhist saying " A fool who knows he is a fool, is wise in his own folly, but show me a fool who thinks that he is a wise man, and I'll show you a real fool" :lol:
gmattson
Site Admin

Jorvik. . .

Post by gmattson »

Wiser words were never spoken when it comes to "word warriors" who think "their" karate is better than anyone else's.
" A fool who knows he is a fool, is wise in his own folly, but show me a fool who thinks that he is a wise man, and I'll show you a real fool"
A great "tag" line!
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Hi Gem
the quote is from the Dhamapadha if anyone would like to know the source.
http://www.buddhanet.net/dhammapada/d_fools.htm

Verse 63. Know Reality. Be Wise
Conceiving so his foolishness
the fool is thereby wise,
while ‘fool’ is called that fool
conceited that he’s wise.

Explanation: If a foolish person were to become aware that he is foolish, by virtue of that awareness, he could be described as a wise person. On the other hand, if a foolish person were to think that he is wise, he could
be described as a foolish person.

I Think a joke that I heard by an American comedian describes the situation as well he said that when he was out driving that he was surrounded by maniacs who drive too fast and idiots who drive too slow :lol:
Chris McKaskell

Fun to see the 'other' vote seems to be in the lead.

Still, too few respondents to draw any inferences, but I suspect we all train for many and diverse reasons.

Wisdom AND foolishness included. :wink:
Chris
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

It is actually quite a deep and profound question :) .because consider this I know folks who are really not very fit but who do karate for self defence, and I know other folks who do karate for fitness and have a ltd interest in self defence 8) ...but if two of them were to fight..my money would be on the fit guy :lol: ...the unfit would be better investing in firearms........also consider in my country "knifecrime" is the current biggy :oops: .....now against a knife even a MMA champion ( and there was one stabbed here recently who actually died 4 times but came back) doesn't stand a chance unless he trains for that eventuality...the best defence obviously is not to get into that type of situation, or maybe study a weapons art............and if you want to go right back historically ..........to the Shaolin Temple, the monks trained for fitness, health and enlightenment....not to kick the cr*p out of folks who gave them a wrong look :lol:

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”