Konbanwa from Okinawa!

New members and old members are invited to introduce (or re-introduce) themselves to the community.

Moderator: Available

MBergeron

Konbanwa from Okinawa!

Post by MBergeron »

Sensei Mattson,
How are you? I came across a couple of old posts from some of Greg Brown's students. They were inquiring about Julius Scott Sensei in your vidmag 10. He was my first Sensei, and I trained under him for about ten yrs. I haven't seen the video, but it sounds like it was probably him. I couldn't find the video posted online. Is there any way that I can see it?
I have wanted to train in Okinawa since I was a kid. After talking with a few well known Uechi Ryu Sensei in '02, I decided to enlist in the Air Force with hopes of going to Okinawa. Five years later, I received the orders and have been here since October. I am living my dream everyday!
I'm glad to be a part of your forum, and look forward to getting to know some of you!
Vr
Mason Bergeron
Mason R. Bergeron
Budoka
gmattson
Site Admin

Hi Mason. . .

Post by gmattson »

Welcome to our forums. . . And I am very happy to see that you have achieved your goal of spending time on Okinawa. The readers of our forums will be looking forward to frequent reports on your training and other experiences.

I don't remember the forum post you refer to . . . but if you are interested in any of the "vidmag" series, they can be found in our store. The vidmag 10 dvd contains video of Kanei Uechi sensei that Charles Earle and I took back in the 60s during a trip to Okinawa. The dvd contains video of me and other Americans who were training on Okinawa during that period of time.

Again, welcome to the forums.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
MBergeron

Okinawa in the 60s

Post by MBergeron »

Sensei Mattson,
Thanks for the reply. The post I was referring to was left in 2002 by one of Greg Browns students. A long time ago, I know! One of the guys that I train with has this footage, and I just got a chance to watch it. It has you, one other man and a man who I BELIEVE was Julius Scott all doing Sanchin for Master Uechi. I've never met Fredrick Norris, but I know that it wasn't Sensei Thompson.
Anyway, GREAT footage!
Mason R. Bergeron
Budoka
gmattson
Site Admin

Thanks for the memory jog. . .

Post by gmattson »

I met Fred Norris during that trip to Okinawa and we became friends. He participated in a couple of tournaments I sponsored during that era, then sort of retired and dropped out of sight. I received a few letters from his former students saying that he stopped teaching.

I don't remember the other Americans who were studying at Uechi sensei's dojo during that time.

Fred
GEM
MBergeron

Post by MBergeron »

Oohh, ok. Fred Norris was Larry Jennings' Sensei, who became James Foleys first Sensei. So are you saying that was probably Fred Norris in the Futenma '65 video? Or is it possible that it could have been Julius Scott?
Vr
Mason R. Bergeron
Budoka
gmattson
Site Admin

Probably. . .

Post by gmattson »

was Julius Scott.
GEM
Stevie B

What Up Masy Mase!!!

Post by Stevie B »

hahahahaha... :D
MBergeron

Post by MBergeron »

It's been a while since I've last posted on this site, but I often check in to see what's new and how everyone's doing.
It's now been well over two years since I arrived in Okinawa. I've made many great friends and have met many amazing Karate students and teachers. Every moment is a lesson I hold on to.
Attached is a short clip of some of the experiences I've put together from the Island. Please take a look.
Ganbatte!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9epbaYq58gc
Mason R. Bergeron
Budoka

Return to “Member Introductions”