tailoring your gi (female/differing body types)-pros/cons

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Shana Moore

tailoring your gi (female/differing body types)-pros/cons

Post by Shana Moore »

There is a good thread on Bill's forum about Gi quality:
http://forums.uechi-ryu.com/viewtopic.p ... sc&start=0

I had a slightly different question and didn't want to cause thread drift, so I'll ask it here. Many women (and some men) find that Gi's simply are not made for our body shapes. They tend to gape or bind in all the wrong places, inhibiting movement or at the least providing an annoying distraction and discomfort.

Now, if you dont' want to or cannot afford to spend the money to have a custom made gi, then it's time to whip out the sewing machine or find a relatively inexpensive seamstress to alter your gi.

Questions::
* Do you feel this is appropriate?
* Do you feel that this takes away from the utility and reasons behind wearing a gi?
* (which raises the question of why you feel wearing a gi is/isn't important)
* Do you feel there are limits to the types/amounts of changes that can be made and it still be a "gi"?
* Have you had any successes in altering your own gi?
* Any suggestions or "don'ts" that you can share?
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Shana Moore

article found on web

Post by Shana Moore »

Here's one way to do it, found on web search:
http://www.apocalypse.org/pub/kiai/best ... t_fit.html

How To Tailor A Uniform
-----------------------

" Well I couldn't take it anymore. I go to class, I love working out, I love sparring, I love feeling empowered but I hate my uniform. It is so big on me and makes my 105 pound body look, well, like a 300 pound body so this week I cut up my whole uniform, added darts and let me tell you, I love it. It feels good. I am confident, I can move more freely and I look like myself. Not like a woman hiding in a mans uniform. For anyone who is interested. I am not a seamstress. Actually, I am horrible at sewing, so what I did can work for anyone.

I just took a suit I had, and traced the darts on a piece of paper. Making up the three pieces - like pattern pieces, of the suit front and the same with the back. Then I just traced them right on to the front and back of my uniform shirt. I cut down the division line of the three pieces! and then just resewed them back together, using a half inch seam. Then I just had to rehem the bottom - since it ended up shifting a bit. I just love it. My uniform fits me perfectly now. Just enough room for my chest. The back does not bulge up and you can't see my stomach out the sides any longer. And since I did not adjust the arms at all, it does not inhibit my punching, blocking or striking in the least.

The pants I had to make different adjustments to. I added darts, front and back but needed to keep the waist big, to fit over my hips, to put them on. Also, I wear hip pads when I spar - they are the best, no more bruised hips - so I needed to maintain room for those, however, the biggest adjustment was simply raising the crotch area. To do that, I just turned the waist down one and resewed it in place, rising the crotch area. I can kick much more easily now, and don't spend half my time, hiking up my pants like I did before.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my new found comfort. You can't imagine what a difference feeling good in your uniform can make. It sure has made a difference for me!!! Thanks for letting me share!"

EPBLUESTAR
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Shana Moore

women's cut gi's...tried them?

Post by Shana Moore »

more online searching found these companies with women specific gi's and/or they sell tops/bottoms separately for a better fit..wondering if anyone has tried them?

http://www.jukadragon.com/uniform/diamond.htm

http://www.centurymartialarts.com/Unifo ... forms.aspx

http://www.bujindesign.com/index.php?cPath=22_93

http://masterlineco.com/
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
chef

Post by chef »

I like the idea of a woman's tailored gi. I have been wearing a regular straight cut gi for so long, I wonder if it would feel too clingy?

Unfortunately, I am more like a young gi with less curves than many women so I really only need room in the hip area and like more leg room for kicks.

I like the sites you posted, Shana, especially the one that allows you to mix the bottoms and tops in different colors.

The only thing is that you probably have to order at least five to keep the costs down...hmmm, let's see, you, me, Crystal, Sue, and one more person...would work.

Hope you are having a great day.

Cheers,
Vicki
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

I'm in...I like the idea of the tailored GI as well..but I'm also looking into making some simple fixes like the article mentions..such as simply moving the ties up...we shall see...and definately talk about going in on an order!
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

This seems like a potential market that needs to be developed.
You girls should design one and get a business going.

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
Robb in Sacramento

Add Pullover While You Are Working On It

Post by Robb in Sacramento »

Several of the folks who train with me have used the women's gi from JUKA Dragon. They appreciated the amazing technical innovations, like darts in the gi top.

I have used a BuJin gi, with the fast dry fabric, and love it. It does seem to shrink in an odd manner though, and the ties seem to wear out before the rest of the gi.

I still, however, remain a little jealous of the TKD folks who have the pullover gi tops with fast dry material. Too bad we can't get them without a TKD logo.

Peace
Robb in Sacramento
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

Robb,
Thanks for the endorsements...nothing like actual field experience!
Live True, Laugh often
Shana

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”