Asking a student to leave

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Shana Moore

Asking a student to leave

Post by Shana Moore »

Mary brought a great issue up in a thread on healthy dojos, and I have a question to all you teachers out there.

When and how do you ask a student to leave your dojo?
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Mary S

Post by Mary S »

I'm not a teacher but...

I would suggest if you are going to tell a student it's time to leave it should be a one-on-one conversation and, of course, there may be many reasons why the relationship is not working. It all depends on the situation.

If it is severe, I live by the "two strikes you're out" principle.

Just my opinion....
hoshin

Post by hoshin »

it depends on why the student is no longer welcome.
i think in my own experience it would usually be for concern for other students like anger issues and such.
i remember one student who had LAW SUIT written all over him. someone had done a circle block and accidently touched his face he started screaming he was going to sue.
an other would be student let me know he was HIV positive but wanted to train, after talking to my teacher he suggested to put the responsiblity on him and his doctor " sure you can train here ,,,just get a note from your doctor saying that there is absolutly no chance other students wont catch it from you when you sweat or bleed"

my only suggestion is do it quick and humainly.
Chris McKaskell

Post by Chris McKaskell »

I've been thinking about this for a couple of days.

Nothing profound; but, often it's not about asking the student to leave -- it's about telling them to leave.

Subtle difference, but I thought it worth mentioning.
Chris
Mary S

Post by Mary S »

I would suggest if you are going to tell a student it's time to leave it should be a one-on-one conversation and, of course, there may be many reasons why the relationship is not working. It all depends on the situation
I specifically used the word "tell". :D

Thanks Chris! Exactly - afterall it's your dojo and that makes you the person in charge.

I think a pre-interview, one-on-one session is often a good measure of whether you and your student will be a good fit. There are some questions you should ask that will help you get the lay of the land on people and attitude.
Chris McKaskell

Post by Chris McKaskell »

Ooops, I see it now. Thanks for pointing that out. :oops:

Pre-interviews are a good idea: any questions in particular that you like to ask?
Chris
Mary S

Post by Mary S »

A couple...

Have you studied before? (More questions if the answer is yes - where, with whom, how long, why did you leave, rank when you left)

How did you hear about my dojo (word of mouth, advertising, fellow students/friends)

Why do you want to learn Uechi-ryu (That's often the stumper)

Any medical conditions that might hinder you in class (allergies, asthma)

What do you expect to learn/want to take away from your experience?

In the pre-interview you can tell the student what you expect behaviour-wise, time-lines for gradings, expectations for gradings, history, payment schedules, class times (a printed schedule helps), proper dojo ettiquete, what gear they will need, gi costs, etc. You can even take them through a mini class to gauge their fitness level. Oh, and if you have a waiver form they should sign before the first class.
Shana Moore

okay...here's another related question

Post by Shana Moore »

All good points, and I agree it's a "tell" not "ask" situation.

I think a pre-interview is a great idea, and a way to head of obvious issues/problems, but not all folks show thier true colours up front and....life happens.

Sometimes the reason someone is out of control is a life change situation (divorce, new habit, etc.). These are items that you might be able to discuss/help with, but usually the best option is to refer them to professional assistance/counseling.

But that brings up another interesting question...if a student poses a danger, and the best option is to tell them to leave (see, I learn :wink: ), do you give them an option to come back?

I realize this is probably a case by case situation, but if you WERE to discuss that they need to take some time to deal with a situation or reasses thier needs/situation, isntead of simply "leave and don't come back"....do you offer them a chance to come back and under what circumstances?
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
hoshin

Post by hoshin »

i do think this is a somewhat case by case instance like you say.
i would only tell a student they can no longer train for things like anger and safety issues. that being the case i would not let anyone back. if you do and something happens you are open to some major law suits.

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”