Who are we posting for? and why?

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Shana Moore

Who are we posting for? and why?

Post by Shana Moore »

In reading posts on this forum and others, a thought keeps occuring to me. Who are we posting for?

Are we posting as an online journal of our personal thoughts and musings?
Are we posting to impress others with our skill and knowledge?
Are we posting to seek the opinion of others?
Are we posting to get a rise out of others?
Are we posting only as uechika, martial artist, or just people?

A tendency I've noticed, as well, is that so many folks here appear to be sensei's, teachers, and/or upper level students. That can be intimidating to someone new.

Are we posting to disseminate information and help everyone grow as uechika (or martial artist in general)?

Are we welcoming of "newbie" questions we now think are "obvious"?

Just some musings of my own that I thought I'd share, but I'd also be interested in your own personal thoughts on this.

One caveat, I'm mainly interested in why "you" post; however, if you are posting about others' perceived motivations, please keep your comments constructive and as respectful as possible.

Thank you!
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
harlan

Post by harlan »

The internet is funny. One reads something, and without thinking, responds.

Sound familiar? :lol:

I post for no reason...it's a response to an action. Sometimes it seems suitable, sometimes not. But afterwards, when I dissect some of the bits I've put out there, I find something out about myself. Something I guess I needed to see in print, before it could be understood.
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

harlan wrote:The internet is funny. One reads something, and without thinking, responds.

Sound familiar? :lol:

I post for no reason...it's a response to an action. Sometimes it seems suitable, sometimes not. But afterwards, when I dissect some of the bits I've put out there, I find something out about myself. Something I guess I needed to see in print, before it could be understood.
and for that same reason, which I can't currently put into words...I like this! :wink:
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

For myself, I post because I am full of questions, want to see if others share any of my questions, hopefully provide some infomration for those who are afraid or haven't thought to ask those questions...and I simply like to have interesting discussions.

Often I learn things about my art, the world,other people...and yes, myself.

One of the reasons I posted these questions though, is that I'm concerned that we can forget there are many folks out there who do not post, but do listen in, and I want to make sure we don't keep them from posting by creating an atmosphere that doesn't welcome questions...silly or no...as we all have to start somewhere....

and still being a relative newbie, I am very aware there is more that I don't know, than I do.... :wink: :roll:
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

I post because martial arts are my passion...and for far too long...I love them but hate violence............and I like to share my thoughts, because not a lot of people want to talk about it as much as I do :wink:
Chris McKaskell

Post by Chris McKaskell »

As long as a question or post is sincere -- there's no need to feel ashamed.

There are no stupid questions so long as they are well intentioned.

And this is a place where we have access to a lot of good people with a lot of good knowledge.

I post to take part in the Uechi community and because of the access that taking part offers me to people who either have different opinions or who have much greater or different knowledge than me.

And yeah, sometimes it can be painful and/or emabarrassing, but that's a small price to pay for the wealth these forums have to offer!
Chris
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

Chris McKaskell wrote:As long as a question or post is sincere -- there's no need to feel ashamed.

There are no stupid questions so long as they are well intentioned.

And this is a place where we have access to a lot of good people with a lot of good knowledge.

I post to take part in the Uechi community and because of the access that taking part offers me to people who either have different opinions or who have much greater or different knowledge than me.

And yeah, sometimes it can be painful and/or emabarrassing, but that's a small price to pay for the wealth these forums have to offer!
Well said Chris, thank you!
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
hoshin

Post by hoshin »

A tendency I've noticed, as well, is that so many folks here appear to be sensei's, teachers, and/or upper level students

you can take the teacher out of the class, but you cant take the teacher out of the post. :)
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

:lol: nor would I want to hoshin! I was just trying to point to the fact that there are a lot of new and mid level students lurking...why don't more post..is it fear of asking stupid questions..feeling they don't rank high enough TO post? as Chris saidM we have great knowledge resources..why aren't more folks posting questions?
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
hoshin

Post by hoshin »

why are there not more posters?
i hate to say what i think, but i will. those of us that have been around martial arts for a long time get very passionate about what we do and why. after all it is an art form. which to me means we will all have different takes on what we do. i feel debate is good. it makes you think about what you do. BUT in the past there have been many confontations. some down right ugly. i remember seeing reactionary posts from uechi people i know who said "see this is why i dont write posts".
now maybe this was not on your forum. i think you do a great job btw :)
but if you have been doing martial arts a long time you can verbaly defend your postion and not get offened to often. but if i was new i would hate to say something and have someone else slam me and berate me. there have been steps taken to reduce the hostility but the feeling of being belittled might still be there. i mean honestly ( and this is for Bill) i feel i have been around long enough to not be called "the peanut gallery" but it happens and while it bugs me, i know nothing is meant by it but others may not.
in the business world one bad experience and you will lose that customer.
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

Thank you hoshin, I appreciate the compliment.

And..actually...what you speak of is one of the reasons I started this thread. I do fear that some posts do tend to cause hesistancy in posting by some. Unfortunately, that is the nature of many online forums. I think we can do better and should simply keep trying to make the fourms more inviting for newbies and other posters.

I like how Chris put it (paraphrasing):
no question, if asked sincerely, is stupid.

And i also like somehing you (hoshin) posted on another thread:
all statements must and should be debated, but show respect.

both speak very strongly and direclty to what I was originally trying to get at in this thread.

That said, I'm still finding the answers to why folks post very interesting as a topic all by itself. Thank you all!Keep it coming!
Live True, Laugh often
Shana

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”