Are you (and your car) prepared?

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Shana Moore

Are you (and your car) prepared?

Post by Shana Moore »

Last week, I had a supreme moment of stupidity, followed by some interesting musings. Distracted by a personal issue I was struggling to address, I...well... :oops: :oops: :oops: ran out of gas on the interstate at about 9pm in the evening. Now, I should mention that I commute approximately 1 hour to and from work and live out in the country, so I was pretty much in the middle of bufu.

My husband freaked out when I called him to tell him I'd be late because I was going to walk approximately 3 miles to the nearest exit and gas station, and he asked me to stay there while he came with a gas can. Sigh.... :roll: :?

While waiting for him, I started going through what I had in my car and repacking my purse, just in case I needed to leave...for whatever reason. Since I had about 25 minutes to wait, I also inventoried what I had in the car for general emergencies. It was an interesting exercise.

So, what items do you keep in your car in case of emergencies....of any type? Are you prepared to handle many common emergency situations?
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Shana Moore

what I found....

Post by Shana Moore »

So, I had the following on hand:
my cell phone
a small utility knife
two flashlights (one didn't work 8O)
a state map
two regular blankets
sneakers (from workout bag I keep in trunk, just in case)
a roadside emergency kit (with a good set of basic tools, a thermal blanket, reflective SOS signs, an out of date/depleted first aid kit, and jumper cables)
A hazard reflector triangle
lifesavers (I'm a diabetic)
a snow shovel
matches
an empty water bottle

And I found I need to consider getting/doing:
a can of emergency fuel (a non flammable can of stuff you can put in your car to get you to the next exit)
an updated first aid kit
flares
testing flashlights regularly
a map of the region (more detailed than what I have)[/u]
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
chef

Post by chef »

Good question, Shana! I need to do that inventory as well.

We used to have a travel air pressure pump, going blank on the actual name...in case of a flat to inflate tire.

I also used to alway carry a all in one tool, like the leather man with all the gadgets. Always had a screw driver with both heads.

I do believe the most useful and important thing you can carry is your cell phone. If in trouble you could always set off the alarm to attract attention. By the way, your car keys by your bed is a great idea. You could set off the alarm to startle a 'would be' intruder in your home.

Now you got me thinking. I will check this weekend.

More later,
Vicki
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

I would add some jumper cables to the list.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
Chris McKaskell

Post by Chris McKaskell »

We keep road reflective vests - the sort road crews wear - just to increase personal visibility.

Also, in the first aid kit I always make sure I have disposable nitrile or medical examination gloves (and a fluid block for administering mouth to mouth). The gloves will help keep you safe incase you need to help someone who has been injured and they also can help keep your hands clean in case you need to change a tire or something while on your way to a meeting (or a picnic lunch!).

Wet wipes or handi naps or similar are also really helpful the odd time you need them.

:idea: And Steve Martin used to always -- no wait, it was never -- no, no, always keep a garbage bag in his car. As the joke goes: that way when it fills up you can just leave it by the side of the road. (yeah, I know -- it's funnier when he does it) But a garbage bag can be a handy thing at the most unexpected times -- and that's what being prepared is about, right?
Chris
harlan

Post by harlan »

Spare tire, jack, quart of oil, jumper cables, some paper and a few pens/pencils and spare change, my cell phone charger, and a converter so I can run the laptop when inclined.

For trips outside of the normal commuting distance, I always check the tires, fluids and gas before hand. Longer trips, I have the mechanic give it a once over on the belts/hoses and buy a few quarts of oil and throw in the portable electric tire inflater and assorted maps.

Things I have on my person, and don't leave in the car: cell phone.

Two things I've been meaning to do:

1. keep a few spare fuses...just in case.
2. get a third key made. the car came with 2 factory made keys with chips in them that are recognized by the car. lose them and you are in trouble.
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

Harlan, GREAT point about the tuneups...that's something a lot of folks don't think about.

I forgot to mention the spare tire and jack in the trunk, but I do need to get a pump. My care has 160K on it and I commute about 2 hours/day...so it's not going to slow down consumption anytime soon. I do make sure to get it checked and tuned regularly, as that's good insurance as well as better on gas mileage.

Got a first aid kit this weekend, so that's covered also, and I changed batteries in the flashlights...maybe I need to do that when I check/change batteries in the smoke alarms?

I just found it an interesting mental exercise. I like the idea of the reflective vests, just in case walking is the best option.

Good discussion, thanks!
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Shana Moore

flares or not?

Post by Shana Moore »

My husband keeps flares in his trunk. He's never used them. I was thinking about getting some for prep reasons...but I'm just not sure if that's the best use of my moneies...sooo

anyone else here have flares or ever use them?
Live True, Laugh often
Shana

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”