Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:38 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:47 am 

We had a long winter and a slow spring.

Finally able to eat baby lettuce from the garden again.

This year it's all basic: herbs, tomatoes, lettuces, carrots, spinach and swiss chard.

Planted rasberries back in the fall and might actually get some as early as this year.

Anybody else gardening this year? Fred? How's yours looking?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:16 am 

My lettuce goes to feed the rabbits and deer around here, so I'm thinking of growing indoors...but outdoors I've planted tomatoes (3 types), peppers (bell and banana), eggplant, cucumbers, zuchinni, watermelon, pumpkins, sunflowers, kale, peas (didn't do so well, but the seed was a year or so old), and flowers and herbs...can't wait to do some nasurtiums and fresh herbs in my salads...oh! and onions!

I think it's all pent up from last year as I didn't get to garden last year....can't wait!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:40 pm 

Sounds like a bigger plot than I'm working -- good on you.

I'd have more space and selection, like yours, if it weren't for my wife's passion for flowers. :roll:

Oh well, can't eat most of them, but they do look and smell nice. :wink:

I'm staying away from pumkins this year. We managed to harvest three and they were fun to carve, but the kids lost interest in them mid summer and they took up way too much space for such a small yield.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:57 pm 

I hear ya on the space. When I lived in a townhouse, I was gardening in pots. Now, I have a house with a little over 2 1/2 acres. I'm trying to actually clear more space (most of my yard is wooded or purposefully left wild). I've cleared back aproximately 3/4 acre and am doing raised beds as I work to create a spiral labyrinth garden...( :oops: heh..long story, won't bore you).

But I try to plant items in succession, in companion groups, and slightly closer than normally recommended to take advantage of space. For example, I planted peas and kale first, then I plant the cucumbers and zuchinnis to take over as the peas die out. I've also planted the sunflowers around my watermelons and pumpkins, so they will help shade them a bit and provide a little something for the vines to twirl around.

On the few (and poor) attempts I've made to plant corn, I've planted nasturtiums and sometimes beans to grow together with the corn. The corn provides a natural trellis for the beans, and the beans put the nitrogen back into the soil that the corn pulls out. Unfortunately, I have lots of clay and such in my soil, and not enough area in one space for corn to do well. I plant in raised beds about 2-3 feet wide, and corn really wants more rows closer together.

oh! I forgot the strawberries that are taking over one of my flower beds...I think I'll have to get the whip and chain out to tame those bad boys. They're coming ripe almost faster than I can pick them...but the birds and slugs are more than happy to help out....ack!

My biggest challenge is not space as much as time (to weed and properly tend), and critters. Living where I do, I have squirrels, rabbits, deer, turkeys, slugs, groundhogs, etc....it's beautiful out here, but I'm seriously looking into some liquid fence. Right now, I'm trying to stay as organic as possible and using a mix of soap, cayenee, and mustard as well as hand picking...but then you get into time again (as that home mixture requires frequent application)

and....can you tell I really love my garden? Sorry for the long post...it's definatley a labour of love!

Post subject: ACK!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:59 pm 

I just realized that I'm a garden geek! :roll: :oops: :lol:

Post subject: Re: ACK!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:32 pm 

Shana Moore wrote:
I just realized that I'm a garden geek! :roll: :oops: :lol:

Much akin to being a food geek - nothing wrong with either in my books. 8)