Warrior spirit-what does this really mean?

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Shana Moore

Warrior spirit-what does this really mean?

Post by Shana Moore »

Several things have come together recently to bring this question to the top of my mind.

What exactly is warrior spirit?

I'm sure we all have a definition in our mind, and they will probably all differ slightly. Inquiring minds would like to know what warrior spirit or warrior mind means to you.
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

This started with a very good question posed by Jim, and my initial answer was:
I guess it all depends on how you define a warrior mentality. But certainly, that awareness of your surroundings, that willingness to attack all out when required, and that ability to step back and remove yourself as the first option...and a sound body that won't fail you when needed...are all required in protecting yourself...so as far as that definition..yep...they're pretty much the same.

But if you look at the warrior mentality as a mental and physical discipline...hmmm.....well, then I guess it's still kinda the same.
I think that is incomplete..but it's a starting point. A warrior's mindset certainly involves awareness and attitude, and also discipline, but does it and should it also include a code of honor? or a personal code? Should it include traits such as order and cleanliness...or are those simply cleaned up additions we've added on in modern times (bushido as I understand it might disagree with this....I lack the full understanding of this part of history to truly speak to this point).
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Shana Moore

Van's response

Post by Shana Moore »

from another thread, and Van, please feel free to elaborate or clarify if I misquote you or quote you out of context:
But the most important predatory concepts you need to determine if they are for you to develop are the following:

1. Righteous indignation
2. Instant action
3. Correct action
4. Explosive power in every move you make
5. Decisiveness under pressure
6. Coolness under pressure
7. Ruthlessness
8. Controlled ferocity

This speaks more to a predatory mindset required for a specific conflict scenario...so how would this apply to the warrior mindset....is the warrior mindset of two parts..one for peaceful times and one for conflict?

In the same thread he points to this link, which discuses the importance of attitude and presentation (my summarry of the article, please read it here: http://tinyurl.com/m8afpt ) Again, this is part of the warrior mind, but not the whole.
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Shana Moore

duality of mind

Post by Shana Moore »

Going back to the idea of duality of the warrior mind...in times of peace versus times of conflict...This would make sense. I believe there has been a lot of discussion elsewhere about the need to compartmentalize when conflict is a regular part of your life..at least to a point. There have also been some discussions about the issues many miltary folk have on thier return in dealing with "normal" life. Most here don't need to deal with that extreme; however, this duality is fascinating and something all of us may benefit from exploring.

...and let us keep in the back of our mind some of the ideas inherent in that interesting article posted on Van's thread about silliness in the MA's (link to an article on "Dysfunction in the Martial Arts" as noted in Van's thread http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/sanity.htm )

In other words, how much of the warrior mindset is real and how much is distorted by some to fuel thier own internal and psychological fantasies?
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
harlan

Post by harlan »

Just adding some other views to the pot:

http://tkriblog.wordpress.com/2008/11/2 ... -of-words/
Shana Moore

so why post this question here?

Post by Shana Moore »

Okay..I kinda started to veer into philosphical debate, but I encourage all responses on any points.

However, it occurs to me that some might wonder why post these thoughts here, in the women's forum?

One, I think it's something women, in particular, need to consider because we are not, generally and culturally, encouraged to develop this type of mindset. That is a generalization, so certainly take with a large dose of salt. But recent culture has encouraged women to "play nice", "be polite", be the "peacemaker", be the "caretaker", and be the "protector". Only the last two remotely touch on what is traditionally considered the warrior spirit or mentality.

Two, I'm wondering if a female concept of warrior spirit is different, in some ways, than a male concept of warrior spirit. I do think females view conflict differently, and perhaps fight for different reasons. The mechanics are the same, but is the mentality behind it?

Three, I'm wondering if this may be a line that separates the serious karateka from the dabbler. Now, understand that by "dabbler" I do NOT mean someone who trains without a specific conflict in mind,and I do not mean someone who cannot commit 3x/week or more to training. I mean someone who comes, goes through the motions, and is unchanged by thier training. Whether you actually ever intend to use your MA training for actual fighting, if you take your training seriously it will change how you think and view certain situations....or it should IMHO.

So, I'm wondering if the development of a warrior mentality...whatever form that takes...is the separating line between the serious MAist and the dabbler?
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

I wouldn't get to caught up in " warrior mindset" etc..but pretty much every Chinese Sifu I've met said "Kung Fu is for fighting" :lol: .the difficulty I guess is that there are different races and each has a different warrior code.
I know the stuff that draws me and a lot of it is pretty useless in our modern day :lol:
I love this 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nbh30Hn ... re=related

and this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aNng59d ... re=related
( note to self-buy some good throwing knives)

but there is one thing that I think a lot about, the old samurai saying that
" The way of the Samurai is resolute acceptance of death"..when you have a choice between life and death then you must choose death

http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2006 ... der-p1.php
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Not sure if the idea most of us have is "warrior-mindset" as few of us are really warriors going out of our way to wage war on someone.

I think for most self defense a survival mindset is needed and for training a fighting mindset.
I was dreaming of the past...
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Yeah I don't like that idea either :lol: ....a warrior now is somebody who sets his inflight computer to fire so many air to ground missiles.....or what a lot of folks won't like here...somebody who plants his car bomb closest to the nearest enemy post.....or even brutally "Executes" his enemies labour force..when we don't like them we call them "insurgents"...but really they are still warriors....not valiant knights on horseback...but usually scheming nasty little nobodies who work out how to committ the next atrocity........I remember years ago in Ireland how a loyalist mob caught an ira bomber..how he screamed and begged for mercy......how he didn't wish to recieve what he planned to give..many warriors are cowards...............sometimes simple people who do things not expected of them are the bravest..selfless acts of heroism....soldiers kill in the most effective manner possible....................land mines are great weapons of war because they tie up army personnel looking after the wounded..folks with limbs blown off, who haven't died..the dead are not a liability...cruel but realistic :wink:
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

before we get too far off track in literal warriors, etc...I am talking more about a mindset that helps you survive...I am not connotating that you must be an actual warrior to have this mindset.

through training, we should develop an awareness of our environment, a way of thinking that allows us to defend ourselves or recognize a potential conflict before it happens.

also, to Harlan's post, I am NOT speaking about some kitchy refrain or "no pain, no gain" mentality that is used to force people to TOUGH UP!

It's interesting that the responses so far look at a warrior mindset as a negative thing, as a burden, or as something that doesn't really apply to me.

Am I being so naive to think that the mentality of a warrior is an idealized thing of hte past?
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Harlan's link is another 'kick in the ass' :lol:

Here is something really good that helps understand and clear the fog of the MAist's mind. :wink:

http://www.lwcbooks.com/books/warriorsonliving.html
Van
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Have you read that and recommend it sensei Van? Looks interesting.

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

I own a book by Loren Christensen called "Crouching Tiger, taming the warrior within""
I'll have to read it again, must have been 10 years ago.

f.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

f.Channell wrote:Have you read that and recommend it sensei Van? Looks interesting.

F.
No Fred...but I plan to.
Van
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

jorvik wrote:..I remember years ago in Ireland how a loyalist mob caught an ira bomber..how he screamed and begged for mercy......how he didn't wish to recieve what he planned to give..many warriors are cowards...............sometimes simple people who do things not expected of them are the bravest..selfless acts of heroism....
Ray, you and I have MUCH different definitions of the term warrior. I certainly consider these folks combatants, but not warriors. To classify as a warrior, in my book, you need to be fighting for an ideal and continue fighting, even when you are afraid, and I believe there should be SOME sort of code of honour or principle..even if it doesn't match mine. Some folks I would call terrorist might qualify, but not all.

I've not spent a LOT of time thinking about how much of this is an ideal and how much of it is reality. Of the military folks I've known, some of which did some pretty horrible things, they all had a personal code and/or esprit de corp that I think qualified them as warriors.

But I am not talking about BEING a warrior, as I do NOT believe that simply training in a martial art makes one a warrior. I am talking about a warrior spirit, a personal code, that anyone can develop...and a mindset that one should develop if you are training or going to be in a conflict situation....so perhaps we are speaking two very different things...or perhaps we simply define things differently.
Live True, Laugh often
Shana

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”