spunky sayings

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Shana Moore

spunky sayings

Post by Shana Moore »

On another martial arts site, I saw the following in someone's signature, and laughed myself silly!!!

Karate Moms have Brass Ovaries!

That has spunk, and I love it! So...just a random thread for the fun of it.....heard/read any fun/spunky/spirited sayings related to any style of martial art? doesn't have to be female specific BTW.
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Sochin

Post by Sochin »

"Fear is a reflex - confidence is a choice."

Sorry, don't know who gets the credit for this.

Ted

Great-Grandma, 83, Fights off Purse Snatcher

and

Woman fights off knife attack
chef

Post by chef »

My personal favorite that I have on my Uechi Forum profile is

"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battle field".

It comes from a saying my good friend, Reno Firmin, used to say. He is now some where in Indonesia far, far away. I miss him. He was my sparring partner and class friend.

Regards,
Vicki
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Vicki got a good one. That's Reno Furman, or Farino Furman. He was a Shotokan pratitioner who walked into my dojo and became a great student. He's now a Uechi shodan - somewhere in Indonesia.

This saying is a little longer, and is a line in a Flip Wilson comedy story (from 1968) called Days of the Knights.

It's a very cute story - one worth listening to if you can dig up the old Flip Wilson album.

Early in the story, he gets into describing it. It's a groaner, albeit a very good one. But in describing it as such, he comes up with a classic and interesting line.

"It's one of those things that creeps up on you later - like them Fruit of the Loom shorts."

I don't know why, but that line has stuck with me, and is a mantra for how I go about long tasks. Those with a modicum of emotional intelligence understand that good things take multiple year efforts. That intimidating scenario will stop many. The goal may be very frustrating to achieve if you focus only on the goal. But appreciating that getting can be as rewarding as having may just change everything.

Ironically enough if you learn to love process and forget about the goal, then the desired outcome sometimes creeps up on you later - like them Fruit of the Loom shorts. ;)

- Bill
Last edited by Bill Glasheen on Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Words are silver...Silence is Golden 8)
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

one I got from Ms Vicki here....
sometimes your worst has to be your best
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Chris McKaskell

Post by Chris McKaskell »

Not MA...but around the shop we often joke:

'if it's not done twice it's not done properly'

Applies to more than I care to awknowledge... :oops:
Chris
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Chris McKaskell wrote:
Not MA...but around the shop we often joke:

'if it's not done twice it's not done properly'

Applies to more than I care to awknowledge... :oops:
Yep...

The carpenter's adage is "Measure twice; cut once."

- OR -

You get what you get. 8O

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Just a piece of trivia here. Do you know what the acronym WYSIWYG is? And if you do, do you know from whence it came?

;)

- Bill
Chris McKaskell

Post by Chris McKaskell »

Bill Glasheen wrote:Yep...

The carpenter's adage is "Measure twice; cut once."

- OR -

You get what you get. 8O

- Bill
Another one I hear way too often: 'I keep cutting the dang thing, but it's still too short!'

Um, WYSIWYG....wassat?? :?:
Chris
CornMaiden

Post by CornMaiden »

WYSIWYG is 'What you see is what you get'. Glasheen Sensei, it originated from your earlier character, Flip Wilson.

Sorry, I cheated and looked the origin up.

Origin: The phrase was originally a catch phrase popularized by Flip Wilson's drag persona "Geraldine" (from Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In in the late 60s and then on The Flip Wilson Show until 1974), who would often say "What you see is what you get" to excuse her quirky behavior.

Corn Maiden
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

For people new to computers, WYSIWYG implied a quality to a text program which meant that the appearance of text on your screen would be identical to the appearance of the text when you printed it. It didn't used to be that way. Every printer had its own formatting software. And each would interface in its own way to your Word or WordPerfect document software. It was often a matter of trial and error to get something (a flier for example) to come out the way you wanted it to.

The Forum software actually is non-WYSIWYG. You have to put all these special characters in to get bold or underline, or to make a
  • list
  • list
You don't quite know what it will look like until you hit the submit key.

WYSIWYG became a word which sounded like "wizzy wig."

The archaic nature of early generations of PC software is associated with a time period where most people would know Flip Wilson's character Geraldine.

Also note another anachronistic reference in this skit. Apparently a phone in a pocketbook was an unheard-of phenomenon. ;)

Flip Wilson Show with Geraldine and Muhammad Ali

- Bill
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

I collect quotes that appeal to me...here are some that might apply to the OP...not all are SPUNKY necessarily..but good points, nonetheless:

If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito. -Betty Reese, author

“Time and trouble will tame an advanced young woman, but an advanced old woman is uncontrollable by any earthly force.” -Dorothy Sayers

A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
chef

Post by chef »

Love those, Shana. I also like some of Mae West's sayings...oh, my, they are funny!

Later,
Vicki
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
Shana Moore

mae west

Post by Shana Moore »

the few I know ar great please share the one's you had in mind! more! more!
Live True, Laugh often
Shana

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”