King of the wall

A place where this subject can be evaluated and discussed. No "bashing" allowed. "Tell us what YOU do"
f.Channell

King of the wall

Post by f.Channell »

This is a drill I picked up years ago after my teacher trained with the late Robert Trias.

One person is against the wall. The other person has to attack and score a point (both have to agree). The King should block and counter.
Once the attacker is within range. The King can go on the attack, if they have come close enough without attacking.
Everyone lines up and tries to take out the "King".
Being against the wall forces good blocking and not relying on stepping back.

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Fred...it seems like my drills as well... :D
Van
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Yes Van.
Typically in your class we worked say a right hand punch attack.
This drill can be any sparring attack.
and it's one person after another.
and you step out if you fail in your defense.
but not too dissimiliar.

f.
www.hinghamkarate.com
Chris McKaskell

Post by Chris McKaskell »

We've been doing a very similar thing with training knives - the wall really forces you to move/twist with no ground to back up.

We keep going till the 'king' actually manages to trap the blade arm then partners switch. So a little different in that success drives the switch rather than failure.

I like yours - we'll try it this weekend.
Chris
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Not quite, Fred… you may not have been to too many of the classes where I did that drill.

These are the drills:

1. You against the wall.
2. The attacker is at a 6ft distance [fairly safe] like in a social context…party etc.
3. Then he moves in for whatever reason with an unexpected attack, kick, punch, etc. [maybe you were looking at his wife’s ass a bit to longingly]
4. You must block and counter by standing your ground, moving in, or getting off the X …meaning sideways, then in diagonally to spin him and slam him into the wall then finish him. Using the wall as an improvised weapon is your first priority.

Next:

1. You against the wall
2. You read the opponent’s ‘situational’ intent as he moves towards you [the most important skill]
3. Just as he breaks the safe zone [6 foot distance…reaction time] you move in to pre-empt as above, attacking the ‘mechanism, the platform of the attack’ instead of waiting to react to his attack, whatever it might be.
4. At the Shinkookai dojo I have the attacks include hidden weapons or hands moving in ways to flag a reach for a weapon…where the defender must short stop any movement whatsoever of the potential assailant along a continuum.
5. Next I move the defender from the wall to the center of the dojo and continue the drill with options …so any movement is now free in all directions, especially when using wauke principles to engage, rotate and redirect, finding yourself behind the opponent, with specific techniques I teach to disable, KO…and use the stunned opponent as a “circling or shoving shield” to suit the end strategy of the encounter.

~~

These are the best drills that should flow from our basic prearranged ones _ IMO_ which are dependent on stepping back, straight or diagonally, for the most part [our training wheels]…not that they are no good.

The strategy is to always ‘work it’ to find an escape ‘hole’ so you don’t stick around much in the kill zone, unless you really have to.

The ‘kill zone’ is populated by the physical enemy_ the adverse witnesses_ the criminal charges specter_ and the ‘financial meltdown’ ogre. [Civil actions]

You need to work on ‘action’ which is more congruent with our katas and validated defensive concepts.
Van
Van Canna

What it boils down to

Post by Van Canna »

You train and can concoct a myriad of ways to drill for self defense...OK no problem...unless you are one that went to karate for the 'art' of it...the exercise...weight loss BS...why you could have done much better running up and down a hill :P

The bottom line is: If you train and fail to learn how the body responds to combat, lethal and less than lethal...

if you fail to learn what happens to your blood flow, your muscles, your judgment, memory, vision, and hearing when someone is trying to kill you or just beat the crap out of you....

Well then, welcome to the 'Masturbation Olympiads'
:microwave:
Last edited by Van Canna on Fri May 30, 2008 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Van
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Hi Van,

Great stuff. The premptive training is excellent.
I like the hidden training knives too.

F.
www.hinghamkarate.com
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

we do this drill as well , slow speed up and you get quite competent in no time .

Good training !!

will have to try it with knife work , I forsee many stabbings .
Chris McKaskell

will have to try it with knife work , I forsee many stabbings .
Yeah, success doesn't come easy.

Often it doesn't come at all :twisted:

When it's completely impossible it just gets discouraging and no one benefits except to realize how fricken difficult it is to defend against a knife! Which is bood, but...

When it's way too difficult we do slow it down, reset and go again, or switch roles.
Chris
Chris McKaskell

Also, I like Van's comments about learning about what happens to you emotionally/chemically -- I know he's pushed this elsewhere, but it's a really good thing to be reminded of --- often. IMHO
Chris
jjpein

Bull in the middle

Post by jjpein »

Actually we had something similar to this in BJJ, one person would be in the middle "Bull" and then everyone else one at a time would get to grapple with the bull. Most rounds lasted 5 minutes, no matter how many tapouts occured the same two people worked for those 5 minutes. Then at the end of the 5 minutes, another 'fresh' person would come in and challenge the bull...believe me on nights when you were the bull, you hoped and prayed for a smaller class size...

Return to “Fighting Drills”