Uechi-Ryu Beginner

New members and old members are invited to introduce (or re-introduce) themselves to the community.

Moderator: Available

furyus

Uechi-Ryu Beginner

Post by furyus »

Howdy.

I signed up for Uechi-Ryu training that begins one month from today through our county park system. I chose Uechi-Ryu based on the availability of the class with my schedule, the fact that it isn't flashy, and that the classes were filling much faster than other systems were, indicating to me that the instructor has a good rep. My goals include self-defense, fitness and discipline.

I studied Kung Fu briefly 28 years ago, but have not trained in any MA since. I'm 48, average to below average physical condition, but healthy other than age related wear and tear. I plan on spending the next month working on flexibility and endurance to prepare for my first class. I joined this forum to educate myself regarding Uechi-Ryu and hopefully to seek guidance as I prepare for my lessons. Any encouragement would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

furyus
mhosea

Post by mhosea »

Welcome, and good for you!

I doubt you'll need too much training to get ready for your first class, although I guess it might be more fun if you prepare a little. Cardiovascular conditioning is always helpful, and flexibility is generally a good thing. Work your abs some. You might also appreciate building a little extra stamina in your shoulders, since you could be asked to keep your hands up (in a guard) for longer than you're used to (unless you hang crown molding for a living or something like that).
Mike
robb buckland

Enjoy the Path

Post by robb buckland »

:D I began Uechi -Ryu because I used to get beat up on the bus when I was 9. I have trained with many instructors in and out of Uechi and am thankful that Uechi is the 'foundation' of my fighting art. Welcome to the 'path'........!
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
dean harnum

Re: Enjoy the Path

Post by dean harnum »

robb buckland wrote::D I began Uechi -Ryu because I used to get beat up on the bus when I was 9. I have trained with many instructors in and out of Uechi and am thankful that Uechi is the 'foundation' of my fighting art. Welcome to the 'path'........!
man i can relate to that. i used to get beat on regularly growing up. that stopped when i moved away for a few years and now i don't fear but still want to study Uechi for self defense/self controll, and to follow a dream from boyhood to study the martial arts which weren't available when i was my son's age. so we are studying together.

dean
Learning every day.
dean harnum

Post by dean harnum »

furyus, welcome. im starting on the path as well. i started in october and didnt do anything special to get ready and i am "below adverage condition" as well. i figured the most he could do was to kill me and the Navy couldn't do it :lol: so i figured i was safe from most. :roll:

dean
Learning every day.
furyus

Post by furyus »

Thanks for the welcome.

First lesson is four weeks from tonight. I've been working on stretching and cardio. Not much of a runner - I have a beat-up left leg - so I walk. Did 2.2 miles tonight in about 36 minutes. It was very cold to begin with; the wind stung against my face. Nothing super-human, but it was cold, and I had been on my feet all day at work. It would have been easier to surf the net, or plop down in front of the tube. The real success is not two miles in 36 minutes, the real success is that I did it, period.

My goal is to do SOMETHING everyday, both in preparation for my lessons and to develop some discipline. I honestly am not concerned with belts or tournaments or outward manifestations of studying a martial system. I want inward development and discipline that will apply to all of my life - work or play. I am no longer a young man, and we are only given this moment to live. I want to master the body God has given to me.

furyus
chef

Post by chef »

Hey, Furyus.

Great decision...I think you are going to love this style. Many wonderful things to learn...close in fighting style, strong stance, neat signature Uechi things like our sokusen (pointed toe kick).

Have a blast and never compare your progress to anyone else.

By the way, who is your instructor?

Enjoy the journey,
Vicki
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
furyus

Post by furyus »

chef wrote:Hey, Furyus.

Great decision...I think you are going to love this style. Many wonderful things to learn...close in fighting style, strong stance, neat signature Uechi things like our sokusen (pointed toe kick).

Have a blast and never compare your progress to anyone else.

By the way, who is your instructor?

Enjoy the journey,
Vicki
Thanks, Vicki. I am taking the lessons through our county park system, and have not met my instructor. I am almost certain which school the instructor is from, but since I have not been introduced and am not completely sure I don't want to speculate and cause myself or anyone else embarrassment. I will say the Uechi-Ryu classes are filling much faster than the other offerings, which is a good sign to me.

I am excited about what this system has to offer.

furyus
willh44

Re: Uechi-Ryu Beginner

Post by willh44 »

Hi,
A month or two ago I decided to seriously reacquaint myself with Uechi-Ryu. I studied 39 -40 years ago when I was 14 - 15 years old in a school that had just opened in Newton Corner Ma.. I studies under Jr. instructor Kenny Schiff and the Sr. instructor was either Bob Campbell or Bob Moorman. The instruction was serious, difficult, structured. I loved it. Working hard three and four times a week for two or three hours a night I earned a green belt in a year or so. Unfortunately the school closed soon after.

Doing research to reacquaint myself with Uechi-Ryu, I see methods of training have changed i.e. old style vs new style. I think my original training was in the old style. I found a school close by to where I now live and went to watch the class. I have to say that I was disappointed with what I saw. Schools have to make money, I understand but if what I saw was the new style of instruction it is sorely lacking. There seemed to be no cohesion in the instruction. There was horse play in the dojo, the students were asked what they wanted to do and the quality of the kata's, kumite's and such was just poor.
I am by no means an expert but I get the feeling that earning rank in the new style is more important than learning quality.

I live in Shrewsbury, Ma., does anybody know if there are any Uechi-Ryu schools in the area that focus on the old style of teaching. Please, I really want to restart my instruction in Uechi-Ryu but not in the new style.

Thank You,
Willh44

Return to “Member Introductions”