Summer Camp and Dan Test 1999

Contributors offers insight into the non-physical side of the Martial Arts, often ignored when discussing self-defense.
michael A.

Post by michael A. »

August 9, 1999

Congratulations to George Mattson Sensei on another fabulous summer camp. I can not wait until next year to do it again. The level of instruction this year was better then ever. Most people at the camp got to experience for
the first time what I have known since I was twelve years old, the teachings of the legendary Bob Campbell Sensei. I was personally honored to have my long time teacher and friend Bob Campbell present at my Dan test.

I would like to thank George Mattson Sensei for allowing me to test in front of a board of distinguished seniors including: George Mattson, Jim Thompson, Bob Bethany, Jack Summers, Clarence Wilder, Bob Campbell, Van
Canna, and Sensei Kamei Uechi. And a special thank you goes to Ed Huff for working with me earlier in the day.

And if testing in front of this board of seniors was not enough, I was also honored and privileged to be testing at the same test as Sensei Arthur Rabesa who was a candidate for his eighth Dan. Because, if it was not for the fact he was testing, he would be sitting with the rest of the prestigious board.

And, I would like to congratulate the other Candidates:

To Dave Elkins, who I had the privilege of meeting and working with over the weekend: Great Job Dave!

To Carlos Ciriza, who I also had a chance to meet and work with over the weekend. He came a long way from Argentina to test at this camp: Job Well Done!

To Peter Blackman: A very impressive performance!

To Arthur Rabesa: When you talk about Arthur Rabesa, only one word describes him, AWESOME!

And last but not least, to my fellow dojo mate Paul Giella who has never looked sharper, and if there is a nicer human being on this planet I haven't met him yet. Way to go Paul! See you in class.

I would also like to congratulate everyone who put on the demonstrations Saturday night. To Mike Murphy who, along with his students, put on another great demonstration as usual. Thanks Mike. Hope to see you soon.

I want to congratulate the impressive demonstration by Wes Tasker and Greg Postal. I understand that this was the first time this art was demonstrated in the United States. For those of you that do not know Sensei Tasker, do not miss the opportunity to work with him in the future. He is a very special martial artist and an even better
student. His talents and skills are only exceeded by his modesty. It was really nice to hear Wes honor his student and my long time friend Greg Postal. Greg did a great job working with Wes, especially being the fall guy. I personally have many friends in the martial arts but outside the martial arts I can count my friends on one hand and Greg is one of them. This karate student will sorely miss your presence in our Saturday class. I would like to wish you the best of luck in your new career in the Air Force. Good luck my friend.

And of course, I can not leave out the Saturday night sparring exhibition and the outstanding refereeing by Ron Fagan and crew. He is the consummate professional. Hope to visit your dojo soon. The exhibition match between Gary Koury and Roy Bedard was very exciting to watch. A couple of other guys I would like to mention are Steve Perry and Bob Spoon. Boy, two tough guys! I only met them last year but I hope I get a chance to work with them and to compete against them in the spirit of good competition.

And of course, I would be remiss to leave out one person, but first you will have to open up a dictionary and look up the word warrior. Pasted next to it will be a picture of David Moy. My long time friend and dojo mate, as many times as I have watched him spar, with David there is never a dull moment. David puts himself at risk every time he goes out, giving 100% of himself, a true warrior in every sense of the word. Congratulations David, along with Steve Perry, on another great match. See you in class.

A special thanks to Jayne Kramer for making it possible to express myself on this post.

I guess that's it for camp 99. Congratulations again to everyone. Hope to see you next year.

michael A.
bbomzer

Post by bbomzer »

Hi Mike,

Conratulations on your well deserved promotion.

Regards,

Barry Bomzer

Return to “Mind-Body-Spirit Forum”