thesis

Contributors offers insight into the non-physical side of the Martial Arts, often ignored when discussing self-defense.
paul giella

thesis

Post by paul giella »

I hope people will take the time to give my Renshi thesis a careful read. It is a personal statement as much as an "academic" exercise, and I think it was an opportunity for me to chrystallize in my own mind several lines of thought that I needed to weave together. I look forward to your replies and further discussion.
Gary Santaniello

thesis

Post by Gary Santaniello »

Paul,

I would certainly take an interest in reading your thesis. Having worked out with you and also knowing your strong veiw of "the way" which i'm sure you have reflected on, is your thesis complete and if so, where is it posted ?

Just remember that by putting it in public veiw you may open yourself to critisicm that may or may not be valid.

However, i am sure that it was well thought out and expressed with much proficiency.

Be in touch!

------------------
Gary S.
gmattson
Site Admin

thesis

Post by gmattson »

Paul's Thesis link is http://www.Uechi-ryu.com/paul_giella_renshi_paper.htm

------------------
GEM
Van Canna

thesis

Post by Van Canna »

Paul,

Congratulations on a job well done! Bob Campbell grabbed me by the arm and wanted to know what I had done to you to make you explode the way you did at the test! The answer of course was that Mattson sensei had installed that "tiger" instinct in you from the start, that you had it in you all along and I was only a "facilitator"!

You went from a .38 special to a .44 special!

Your thesis is the best piece of work I have seen in a long time! You certainly have my vote for Renshi! Godspeed my friend!

------------------
Van Canna
paul giella

thesis

Post by paul giella »

Van,
Thank you for your kind words... and thank you even more for your teaching. A famaous violinist, perhaps it was Yehudi Menuhin or Itzak Perlman, once wrote "from my first teacher I learned music, from my second I learned musical expression". The analogy holds perfectly for me, too. As Sensei Mattson has been my principal teacher since 1967, and continues to be, I had always been in the habit of referring to him alone as my teacher,(even though I picked up hints and ideas from others along the way). But I now say I have had two teachers. What you were able to bring out of me could not have come from any other source. For this I am eternally grateful. I will do my best to pass it on!
bbomzer

thesis

Post by bbomzer »

Hi Paul-Sensei,

Enjoyed your Renshi thesis.

Agree with much of what you propose. Have somewhat different eperience with meditation and view of being both relaxed and tense at the same time. " Yogasta karu gastani" is a classic Hindu expression that means " In yoga perform action".

Would like to discuss with you sometime.

Regards,

Barry Bomzer
gmattson
Site Admin

thesis

Post by gmattson »

Hi Barry:
How about sharing your experiences with the rest of us as well.

Nice to see you on the Forums finally!

------------------
GEM
Gary Santaniello

thesis

Post by Gary Santaniello »

Hi Paul,

Just like to compliment you on your thesis. It was very well presented an one can see that much time and effort was put into it. I hope that when i put mine together it will be as well prepared.

I do not have a printer at the moment so i am unable to make discussion or comment on any particular area at this time. But, i do compliment you and congradulate you on your "Renshi/Rokkyudan" promotion!

Great job!

------------------
Gary S.
bbomzer

thesis

Post by bbomzer »

Hi Sensei Mattson, Sensei Giella and All,

Enlightened ones, Masters, Gurus and Saints throughout the world and history have taught us that everything we're searching for is within. The Vedas say, "Thou art That", or "You are Spirit".

We are incredibly strong and powerful beings, but our power is within us. Only by going within can we begin to tap that power and meditation is a way to bring our awareness to this central source of unlimited potential.

The correct way to meditate is without expectation, no anticipation or preconceptions. Here lies the paradox for the student. How do you do, or not do, what you're supposed to do?

We should all realize that our experiences are a reflection of our inner state. Waking, sleeping and dreaming all have corresponding and measurable physical attributes. This is also true with the transcendence, the state of restful alertness. In this state a person achieves both rest and pure dynamic consciousness at the same time. The basis of the Vedic statement, "In Yoga (or union) perform action". Many of the early Masters of martial arts were living examples of this thread and incorporated it in their teachings.

Central to most of the martial art systems is the balance of mind, body, and spirit. Unfortunately as with many systems of personal development not all of the techniques get passed on to the next generation. It is this aspect of the art that I find intriguing and the reason why I believe Sensei Giella's thesis is so interesting for all practitioners of Uchi-ryu.

Best regards,

Barry
JOHN THURSTON

thesis

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Congratulations as well.

I just printed your paper and hope to get a chance to read it tonight.

Looks very interesting thus far.

JOHN T.

------------------

Return to “Mind-Body-Spirit Forum”