Rules for training in Aikido

Contributors offers insight into the non-physical side of the Martial Arts, often ignored when discussing self-defense.
Steve DiOrio

Post by Steve DiOrio »

Aikido's founder, Morihei Ueshiba wrote the following rules for training to guide the practice of Akido . I think they have relevance to all Martial Arts.. Enjoy!
1. Aikido decides life and death in a single strike, so students must carefully follow the instructor's teaching and not compete to see who is the strongest.
2. Aikido is the way that teaches how one can deal with several enemies. Students must train themselves to be alert not just to the front, but to all sides and the back.
3. Training should always be conducted in a pleasant and joyful atmosphere.
4. The instructor teaches only one small aspect of the art. Each student through incessant practice and training must discover its versatile applications.
5. In daily practice first begin by moving your body and then progress to more intensive practice. Never force anything unnaturally or unreasonably. if this rule is followed, then even elderly people will not hurt themselves and they can train in a pleasant and joyful atmosphere.
6. The purpose of Aikido is to train mind and body and to produce sincere, earnest people. Since all the techniques are to be transmitted person-to-person, do not randomly reveal them to others, for this might lead to their being used by hoodlums.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.erols.com/diorio/karate
diorio2000@hotmail.com
I" TARGET=_blank>www.erols.com/diorio/karate
diorio2000@hotmail.com
I</A> seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old, I seek the things
they sought.

Return to “Mind-Body-Spirit Forum”