Shin-Gi-Tai Ichinyo

Contributors offers insight into the non-physical side of the Martial Arts, often ignored when discussing self-defense.
ShiN

Shin-Gi-Tai Ichinyo

Post by ShiN »

"Spirit,Mind and Body as one"(Shin Gi Tai Ichinyo)
Does anyone live their karate to this standard?
At what grade or stage in one's training would you expect to realise this state?
I am a Goju ryu Sandan,living and teaching in Australia,greetings from down under.
regards,
Bernie Rourke

[This message has been edited by ShiN (edited July 12, 2001).]
dmsdc

Shin-Gi-Tai Ichinyo

Post by dmsdc »

Hi Bernie,

Welcome to the forums.

I think that unless you live a near monastic life - this moment of unity will be fleeting.

For some it may last only for the moment they strike; for other it may last through a class; for a few it could last for a few days or weeks; for the exceptional ones it could last a season.

It is obviously something we are training to achieve - I think most find moments of this the first time they a worked to exhaustion and then asked to do one more kata. THe beauty of Martial Artists who have many years on the floor is that they can create this balance in an instant. But it doesn't always stay.

Life flows constantly between the balanced and the unbalanced -- as does my training.
I think my hope is that as I spend more years in training I can spend more moments in a state of balance.

My reality is that because of the stresses in life I will become unbalanced -- and with the help of training I will again find my center.

"...and the seasons, they go 'round and 'round. And the painted ponies go up an down -- we're riding on the carousel of life"..."we go 'round and 'round and 'round in the circle game"

[for the life of me I can't remember who sang that]
cheers,
Dana
ShiN

Shin-Gi-Tai Ichinyo

Post by ShiN »

Dana,
Hi and thanx for the reply.
I have felt,at times,that feeling where everything I'm doing karate-wise has all come together for one moment.
Timing,focus,awareness and technique.
It happens rarely...but it certainly happens.
Especially during kata.
Just this morning I was demonstrating kata and bunkai for a training partner and felt like I could not put a foot wrong.
I felt very good performing the kata...infact I made short work of half a dozen kata and felt like I could have gone all day...of course here it is late evening in Australia,and I can barely hobble out to put the garbage out. Image
regards,
ShiN
david

Shin-Gi-Tai Ichinyo

Post by david »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
[for the life of me I can't remember who sang that]
Dana,

The Circle Game by Joni Mitchell -- Ladies of the Canyon album -- released in 1970.

(Nostalgia kicking in...)
david

Return to “Mind-Body-Spirit Forum”