2011 VW GTI Autobhan

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Van Canna

2011 VW GTI Autobhan

Post by Van Canna »

Hey Bill,

What's your view on this pocket rocket from Germany with the DSG transmission and autobhan package?

Was thinking of trading my Mazda for one so to give my BMW 5 a little sister.

Ever driven a DSG?
Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Van
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Van

This looks like a very interesting ride.

I think the feel would be a matter of personal preference. It sounds like it has a very tight (harsh?) suspension. That'll mean great performance, but you may sacrifice a bit of comfort.

I'm not familiar with this transmission. But it sounds like a lot of the ones which can be shifted like a manual (on the steering wheel???) but is still an automatic. I think the Germans invented that. It's fairly common on sport rides these days - by any number of means and places to shift.

No torque steer? That's unusual for a FWD car. They apparently did a lot with the left-to-right torque management to pull that off. Interesting...

- Bill
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Hi Bill,

I test drove this car last Tuesday and fell in love with it.

The ride _even on the 18 inch wheels...is not harsh at all.
This new architecture also uses separate mountings of springs and dampers and allows for improved lower wishbones mounting points, and the use of twin-sleeve shock absorbers.

At the rear, for the first time, the GTI comes equipped with an advanced multi-link independent rear suspension. This groundbreaking feature promises not only to improve the GTI's sporty performance but also helps improve the balance of offering sporty driving dynamics and ride sophistication.

This fully independent four-link suspension, with coil springs, telescopic shocks and stabilizer bar, also allowed the designers and engineers to create more space and practicality to the GTI, including a large opening into the luggage compartment.

Handling performance is honed to perfection by the GTI's new electro-mechanical power rack-and-pinion steering system, which offers an extremely good "center feel" and contributes significantly to the new car's confident straight-line stability.

This gives the new GTI driver a desirable connected-to-the-road feel but also provides the added capability of active-return steering and straight-ahead driving correction assistance.
What do you make of this...ride wise? Edmunds writes that the GTI rides very comfortably on uneven pavement.

In the test drive I thought this to be fairly true...riding much 'softer' than the my Mazda.

The DSG transmission is great...I think the new BMWs have it as well.

DSG has two settings...one you can leave it in 'conventional drive' fully auto...yet in this setting you can still activate manual shift by tapping the paddles on the steering wheel....the rpms will remain in normal mode.

If you slide the shift to the right...it goes into sports mode...with rpms increasing...and you can shift manually with the stick or with the 'paddle shifters' on the steering wheel.

If you leave in sports mode and don't shift manually at all...the transmission will shift on its own once you redline each gear.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/volkswagen-gti.html

I loved the interior of this German beauty, black leather, navigation, blue tooth, keyless entry and push button start.

The autobhan trim has all you would want in a sports car.

The turbo engine has torque of 207 foot lbs from 1800 to 5000...so the car is a rocket...and the exhaust sound is music to your ears.

The fully loaded one I wanted, Autobhan trim, MSRPs @ 32 K...

So if I could get one now...I gave the nod...

Not many around and dealers tried to scalp me....the games are endless...but fun in tactical ways... :lol:

Finally I take a ride to Wellsley VW and they had one Autobahn in Black.

No black for me...

Wanted a 'United gray' as you see in the photo.

So they found one at some dealer and agreed to a swap.

The deal was very fair after some 'good battles' ....they don't know I went to General Motors Institute' Flint Michigan...where for 8 weeks I studied dealership management...so I have an idea of their games and when to 'push back' ....

Anyway, I am picking it up tomorrow.... :)

0-60 in 6.7 sec

As the saying goes....the one with the most toys.... :wink:
Van
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Van

Thumbs up on every aspect of this - including and especially the deal-making. When it involves a new vehicle, that's always tough. The demand/supply ratio is working against you. Kudos for getting the deal you want.

For a turbocharged vehicle, that is a very broad torque curve. Impressive! My biggest criticism of engines not naturally aspirated is you have to flog them (run them at high RPMs) to tap into the torque. Conversely the wonderful feel of a Bimmer inline 6 is because of the natural, broad torque curve with max torque available at lower RPMs. The reason I'm looking at diesels and electrics these days is because they hit max torque at very low and zero RPM respectively. This is what-you-will-use-every-day power and not the strained, rarely-to-be-used power of an overflogged engine. Anyhow... you should feel a lively ride off of the stoplights and in stop-and-go traffic with this guy, and the engine should last a while if you take good care of it.

A word of warning. Lately German cars really suk on their electronics. There's really no excuse for this. They're getting better though... Mercedes is the absolute worst. VWs can be dicey on new models. So you're taking your chances. But I think it's worth it. There's too much fun to be had here. Furthermore, the Golf is a very well established platform for VW. It's been around for many decades.

If I'm up there, we should drive. :)

- Bill
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Bill,

Thanks for the response. Will have to wait until Tuesday to pick up the car as an accessory I wanted installed won't be in until then.

Good point on electronics reliability on German cars...but the damn thing just stole my heart :D

When you are back in Boston let me know, I'll let you drive it. :)
Van
Panther

Post by Panther »

Rides In Van-Sensei's new car... $5!
Gas contribution... $2!

Resulting "Excitement factor" and knowing Van-Sensei in order to get a ride...

PRICELESS!!!

:lol:
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

:lol:
Van
Van Canna

Fun to drive

Post by Van Canna »

Van
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Hey, Van!

I was looking for YouTube videos on the GTI, and found this one. Very interesting and funny ending.

Top Gear - Volkswagen GTI

The "other" car is the one my son now drives. Both good cars for sure.

Lots of interesting car history in the video.

- Bill
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Thanks Bill...hope all is well. Interesting video and fun to watch...

Really love this pocket rocket...the DSG_transmission is much fun...and the sound resonators make music...

Also real quick GPS and lovely voice directions....

DSG Dual Clutch Gearbox in Golf GTi
Twin clutch manual gearboxes are these days seen in everything from supercars to commercial vans and in the sixth generation Golf GTi the six-speed DSG unit works well, changing gear instantly when the driver flicks one of the paddles on the steering wheel or gearlever.

There is still a pause if the driver suddenly selects a gear the DSG gearbox box isn’t prepared for, but it is now far less noticeable.

The driver can leave the gearbox in automatic mode, but in a hot hatch like the Golf GTi that is really missing the point.

There are hatchbacks on the market with much higher power numbers, but only the similarly powered Ford Focus XR5 comes even close to the Volkswagen Golf GTi in combining just the right amount of power with the right amount of handling and delivering it all in a fun to use package.

A New Engine Has Made the GTi Even Better
Van
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Liking this one myself..
I have no idea if their in this country or not though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpAFi9nIJVQ
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
Van Canna

Bill...a question

Post by Van Canna »

There's ample midrange torque, along with a linear high-rpm surge that's a rarity in the world of turbocharging; moreover, the GTI-specific intake design sends a glorious sound through the firewall under full throttle.

I'm having trouble understanding what is meant by
linear high-rpm surge that's a rarity in the world of turbocharging;
Can you help?
Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Fred,

The Fiat 500 brings back wonderful memories back in Italy.

Such small cars, GTI_ Fiat_etc. are a must if you live in those diamond towns of Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano_ Italy.

The roads getting you down and up from enchanting beach-fronts are so narrow that a bigger car can actually get stuck as it happened to me once...

8O
Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Also the nice thing about the GTI is that it is a super class 'Lilliputian' luxury cruiser....
Comfort

The 2011 Volkswagen GTI cruises like a pint-size BMW. It's quiet and composed at all speeds, and the ride is firm but never punishing.

The extensively contoured flat-bottom steering wheel feels great and wouldn't look out of place in the Audi R8 supercar.

The standard front sport seats provide an excellent combination of lateral support and long-distance comfort.

Unlike many cars in this class, the GTI offers well-padded armrests all around.

The backseat is just as impressive given the GTI's diminutive dimensions (the Mazdaspeed 3 looks and feels almost like a midsize wagon by comparison).

The fact that two 6-foot-plus adults can comfortably ride in back — with the front seats configured for their physiques, no less — is simply astounding.
ImageImage

A head turner
Van

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”