Trying to find the value of a Uechi Ryu book

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Rabican

Trying to find the value of a Uechi Ryu book

Post by Rabican »

My uncle trained Ueichi Ryu years ago, and spent some time training in places like japan, okinawa etc. He has since passed away, and one of the things left behind is a very interesting looking book. I cannot read it, and I do not think he would want it just sitting in a closet for 50 years. I dont know if it is valuable, or just a book. He would probably rather someone who could use it get their hands on it. As I study Nihon Jujitsu, and cant read or write chinese (I think its in Chinese) I figured maybe I should pass it along. I thought I would ask and see if anyone knows what this is worth.

I am going to try and post a few pictures, but in case they dont work: The book is about 2000, maybe 1500 pages. Im not sure, its very thick, about 4-5 inches. Its a hardback book, and comes in a box/case that is open on one side. Theres some pictures inside but its mostly text/ writing.
If these pics work, its the box, outside cover, random page inside, and one of the pictures in the first few pages.

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee17 ... 02142a.jpg
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee17 ... 1284170119

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee17 ... 1284170292

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee17 ... 1284170322

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee17 ... 1284170369

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee17 ... 1284170395

(I fixed the links- gem)
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Welcome to the forums.

I have the book. It is one of the preeminent books on Uechi Ryu, published circa 1977. I paid $35 dollars for my copy, and wish I had gotten more as the binding is hopelessly fragile. I believe there was only one printing, and they had a hard time getting people to buy this door stop at the time. It's since gone for 4 figures in good condition. You either choose to use the book and let the binding disintegrate or leave it on the shelf and keep it as a collector's item.

Here's a video of one in much better condition than the one you have.

Kanei Uechi Karate Kyohon Book Uechi-ryu

It wouldn't be fair for me not to tell you that you can get a really good price auctioning this book online. Sad but true; your uncle left quite an item behind.

If you truly want to give a style practitioner and book lover a break, let me know. I'd be happy to take it off your hands (for a fee of course), and I wouldn't resell it for profit. If you want it auctioned off online for the cash, I'll privately give you an amount to target for. But I have a family to raise; I won't be in the bidding war.

Keep the conversation going here. You may find more interest.

Does your uncle have other martial arts goodies around? We're interested. We have practitioners here who would love to give these items a good home. Your uncle's name would be honored in the process.

- Bill
Last edited by Bill Glasheen on Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gmattson
Site Admin

Uechi-ryu Kyhon

Post by gmattson »

First off. . . please tell us your uncle's name and any information you have concerning his training on Okinawa. If you send me his picture and biography, I'll post it in our "Memorial" website for Uechi practitioners who have died.

Regarding your book. It is one of the most valuable martial art book ever printed. I believe 1000 copies were printed and some were sold for over $5000 when the book was first offered to collectors a few years ago. Grandmaster Kanei Uechi's formal signature/seal were included in a few of these books. I haven't seen any of these offered for sale yet.

Quite a few copies have been offered by original owners of the book recently and the price dropped to around $2500. Of course, the better condition of the book, the more the book will be worth. And if your book has the original Uechi autograph/seal, the value should be quite a bit more than an non-autographed copy.

Unfortunately, the binding of this book wasn't the best and because of the physical size and number of pages, many of the copies being sold are not in "mint" condition. (broken spines and loose pages/sections)

Best,
George Mattson
Bill Glasheen

Re: Uechi-ryu Kyhon

Post by Bill Glasheen »

gmattson wrote:
I believe 1000 copies were printed and some were sold for over $5000 when the book was first offered to collectors a few years ago. Grandmaster Kanei Uechi's formal signature/seal were included in a few of these books. I haven't seen any of these offered for sale yet.

Quite a few copies have been offered by original owners of the book recently and the price dropped to around $2500.
See the video I posted above, George, by someone who appears to be in the business of reselling these books. The $5000 would be a ceiling, and frankly too high unless the book was in "mint" condition. I think $2500 is probably a "fair" price for one in EXTREMELY good condition. This economy has brought a little bit of sanity to the collector's market.

I'm in the market for one with a busted binding, but all the pages intact. I'd like to scan some of the pictures for personal use. The binding is just too fragile for someone to do this to an intact book.

First off. . . please tell us your uncle's name and any information you have concerning his training on Okinawa. If you send me his picture and biography, I'll post it in our "Memorial" website for Uechi practitioners who have died.
I second that.

And per my request above, see if you can find any of his old gis, weapons, and other training paraphenalia. Again... I will find a good home for these. Some of us have sentimental attachments to out-of-date gi patches, belts, and well-used weapons.

In my school the junior belts would sign their colored belts after their promotion, and pass it on to another junior below them. The goal was to see how many generations this belt could go through, and the names that could be accumulated on it. If you ended up with a belt that was signed by someone who had subsequently done well, that was a very cool thing. Similarly the original "owners" of the belt would want to see that belt get passed on to as many generations as possible. So they wouldn't just hand it down to anyone, and they'd "motivate" the new owner if they chose to slack off a bit.

- Bill
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I have followed the kyhon listings on Ebay for years (I know, I really need new hobbies) and the asking price has definitely been on the decline during this recession. The number being offered on Ebay seems to have decreased as well, possibly due to the price dropping to the extent that sellers may be waiting to see if the value increases again later on. The only current listing is one that seems in pretty good condition with an asking price of only $1800:
Kanei Uechi Karate Kyohon Book Uechi-ryu ebay

Still too rich for my blood, but quite a bit lower than what a guy in Okinawa (Ebay name odekogakusai) was regularly asking (and getting) for copies a few years ago. Odekogakusai has sold quite a few of these over the years but does not currently have any offered, not sure if that means he simply does not currently have any or that he has some but is holding out for the value to go back up.
Glenn
Rabican

Post by Rabican »

Hi guys, thanks for all of the replies. I will have to look for a picture and other info for my uncle. I know he trained in Okinawa, but Im not sure when. His name is Anthony Pundai.
GIESECK

Post by GIESECK »

This book in good shape sells for around 63,000 JpYen here in Okinawa at the used book stores. Which is around $700 with the current exchange rate. Just picked one up for someone last month.

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”