Tiger, Dragon, Crane, ? !

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

I believe that Tiger Boxing can be easily discerned in Uechi Ryu.

I believe that Dragon Boxing can be easily discerned in Uechi Ryu.
No votes
I believe that Crane Boxing can be easily discerned in Uechi Ryu.
No votes
I believe that Uechi Ryu appears more similar to "Five Ancestor Fist", than to Tiger, Dragon, or Crane boxing.
No votes
I believe Uechi Ryu is a unique style combining the most effective techniques being cataloged and systematised at the time. Dragon, Tiger, and Crane, is a reference to principles, rather than an imitating of animal movements.
14%
I believe Uechi Ryu to be an ancient Chinese style of fighting. It was transmitted "secretly", and passed down uindiluted over many centuries. It recently became extinct in China, however the transplanting of "Pangainoon" by Kanbun Ue
No votes
I believe that, in the Okinawan tradition, Uechi Ryu is the result of the genius of Kanbun Uechi to synthesise what he had learned and been exposed to while in China. "Pangainoon" is a reference to methodolgy, and not a Chinese Style's Name. Uec
86%

Total votes: 7

f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

We do have Kobudo to look at as a primarily Okinawan art. Although some of these forms have been made recently, the law of supply and demand. I have a pretty old nunchaku book that states there were no traditional nunchaku kata. Now you can find plenty. Most of Uechi's forms only trace back 50 years.
I think men like Kanbun found themselves in a rapidly modernizing world in Japan and sought to keep the kata as they had learned it; as if holding onto the past.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Could be Fred, but I wonder if moving into Japanese society and it's social structure had something to do with the kata getting formalized. After all how do you determine someone's place in the dojo without a method for judging them? Kata seems to be one of those methods of measurement.
I was dreaming of the past...
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Hi Mike,
Social structure wise It appears they were at the bottom in Wakayama when Kanbun began teaching. This is not surprising as immigrants of a somewhat recently conquered island. I know in Iaido you line up by rank but also by time in grade, or who began training first. There is nothing I've read that contradicts Kanbun rarely if ever did kata in their entirety. I think we have to assume Kanei began emphasizing the practice of doing full kata. This may correspond to the movement from Karate-Jutsu to Karate-do, and getting it accepted into Japanese society and the Japanese budo world.
I think this is fine in that it has served to preserve many arts that would otherwise have been lost such as Kenjutsu and Jiu-jitsu. Not to mention other Do's such as the non martial-tea ceremony, etc...

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”