Things to do in Kalamazoo?

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

KentuckyUechi

Things to do in Kalamazoo?

Post by KentuckyUechi »

I'm planning a trip to Kalamazoo, MI during the first week of October. I was just curious if anyone else had visited there and had a "Don't Miss" list of places to dine, parks, things to do (other than the obvious Uechi stuff :wink: ), etc.
Everything in Moderation
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Absolutely, positively, do not miss going to the dojo of Jim Thompson. He is one of two or three national treasures of Uechi Ryu in this country. It's difficult to describe the combination of humility, experience (in the Futenma dojo with Kanei Uechi), insight, athleticism, and wisdom that he brings to his practice and his teaching.

I've never visited Jim in Michigan. I just know that he teaches there - somewhere. I've been blessed with spending time with him when he visited Virginia.

A real trick with Jim is asking a question the right way. Ask him a simple question, and he'll give you a simple answer - and no more. But ask an open-ended question, and you just might get the good stuff. ;) Also... pay close attention to him doing his Uechi. If he does anything that appears out of the ordinary, ask him. However he may come back and show you the technique in "vanilla" fashion. If you say "That's not what you did!" well... he'll smile and give you a lesson that most students never learn because they don't know how to pay attention and/or have no idea what a rare treat it is to work with him.

I haven't seen him in a while and I don't know what kind of health he's in. But even at half the speed and ability, he's a rare treat.

If you visit him, give him my very best.

- Bill
nosib

Post by nosib »

If you dig micro brews be sure to make it to Bells Brewery's
Eccentric cafe...then stagger across the street to Kraft Brau,but
pace yourself so you can make the crawl a few blocks to Old
Peninsula brew Pub.
Kazoo has all the usual food fare with most cultures
represented. About 1/4 mi. straight south of Thompson's dojo is
a mid eastern restaurant Shawarma King..small place,great food, buffet style and easy on the wallet.
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

The violent crimes in K-zoo have gone up. Those are my old stomping grounds. If you get the feeling you're in the wrong place... listen to your gut.

Can't miss? I don't think so. Unless you visit the college campuses, there really isn't anything there that you won't find anywhere else (except Thompson's dojo of course, though I never visited... my instructor was in Battle Creek).
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.
KentuckyUechi

Thanks for the info

Post by KentuckyUechi »

Absolutely, positively, do not miss going to the dojo of Jim Thompson. He is one of two or three national treasures of Uechi Ryu in this country. It's difficult to describe the combination of humility, experience (in the Futenma dojo with Kanei Uechi), insight, athleticism, and wisdom that he brings to his practice and his teaching.
I recently spoke with my original Uechi Instructor, and he suggested visiting James Thompson's dojo. I have in-laws near Detroit, so I plan on swinging by Kalamazoo on our way home. I've already contacted the dojo, and they said to give em a call when I get in town. When I told my original Instructor about my plans he said "That's the next best thing to a plane ticket to Okinawa". My son and I are definitely looking forward to it. Thanks for the insight Bill, I'll certainly give him your regards.
About 1/4 mi. straight south of Thompson's dojo is
a mid eastern restaurant Shawarma King..small place,great food, buffet style and easy on the wallet.
Sounds like something worth checking out.
The violent crimes in K-zoo have gone up. Those are my old stomping grounds. If you get the feeling you're in the wrong place... listen to your gut.
Will do.
Everything in Moderation
KentuckyUechi

I'm Psyched!

Post by KentuckyUechi »

Will be training in Kalamazoo in less than a week. My sons and I can hardly wait! :multi:
Everything in Moderation
KentuckyUechi

Excellent Trip.

Post by KentuckyUechi »

My family and I returned from Kalamazoo on Wednesday.
I must say that Master James Thompson was a sterling example of what we should all strive for as Uechi-Ka and individuals. We received a warm welcome to Kalamazoo and his dojo. My sons and I learned a great deal in the 3 training sessions we attended. I am greatful for the time he and his students gave us.
I haven't seen him in a while and I don't know what kind of health he's in. But even at half the speed and ability, he's a rare treat.

Bill, I must say, if what I saw was half speed or ability, I would not even attempt to keep up at full speed! 8O

And yes it was definitely a treat, especially for my oldest son Jubal that eats, sleeps, and breathes Uechi-Ryu 24/7.
Everything in Moderation
Glenn

Re: Thanks for the info

Post by Glenn »

Bert, I sent you a PM.
Glenn

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”