Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:20 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Standards. . .
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

I elected to retain the rank standards used by the original Uechi-ryu Karate Association. Since these standards were created, the original association has fractured into many organizations, each with its own standards and rules.

The person who was 'fast tracked' with rank is part of an association that may have different standards than we follow. If I said something that implied he was promoted illegally or without merit or because he didn't follow standards that Kanei Uechi's original organization established, I could very well get myself and these forums into trouble.

We are pretty easy going and open minded on Eastern Arts Forums. The rules were created to keep us on air. When Van and I wish to "vent", we do so via private e-mail, phone calls and time together. We can discuss rank and standards here, but we don't attack or insult individuals. Besides not being very smart, it just isn't a very nice thing to do.

Post subject: Wow!!! So quite.......
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:26 am 

Bad Sensei!!!! :twisted: Evil Sensei :twisted: LMAO!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:14 am 

I am not a student of Okinawan Karate. But it has influenced my Martial Art journey because of the people I was fortunate enough to meet as a young man. These were some of the men of Ueichi-Ryu in New England. Forty years of training might not be much for some, but it is to me. Martial Arts led me to my wife, my career, my constant enjoyment, health and attitude since I was eighteen years old.

I train with a lot of people, and I belong (somewhat) to several Martial Arts associations. Two of the organizations I belong to, at this very moment, are going through the very same “thing” as what's being discussed on this thread. (Three, if you count Jiu-jitsu) Think about that for a minute. Three of them.

I believe it necessary to take your Martial Art seriously. It is akin to family or faith. But, I do not think anyone should take themselves too seriously. I think rank sometimes makes us all do that.

You can talk about the reasons we've all stayed in Martial Arts for as long as we have. It would make for an interesting list of the who's, the whys, the whens and the wheres. But the bottom line is – we do this because it's fun, we enjoy it, we love, it fulfills our ego, it protects us and it challenges us. And we desperately want to pass it on to others. It's what we do, it's what we've always done. But, and this is a really big but, sometimes we can make it not so much fun. Martial Arts should always be enjoyed, and I think we sometimes lose sight of that.

An old man once said, “Your name is your rank. How people respond to you, how they know you in the martial arts over a lifetime – that is your rank.” I think he knew what he was talking about.

As teachers, we want our students to be better than we were, and, more importantly, better than we are now. We work tirelessly to make them more knowledgeable, well rounded, mentally tougher, and more humble than we ever were. We want to teach them what's important and what's the folly of man. Maybe they'll look back on us and think, “Great Senseis, too bad they got involved in politics. What the hell were they thinking?”

Post subject: Pretty Dang Profound!!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:30 am 

Now that touched me.... Made the whole thread worth while... :D :D :D Is all I can say to that!!!! :!: :!: :!: :!:

Post subject: Future of Uechi-ryu. . .
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:11 am 
Site Admin

I think Otto has the answer. .

Rank is an important tool that teachers can use to motivate students while they progress through the lower ranks. But really, the higher ranks are not (or should not be) all that important. As been stated often, advanced ranks should be a measure of what individuals have given back to the system and Uechi community.

Post subject: Right On !
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:01 pm 

"................As been stated often, advanced ranks should be a measure of what individuals have given back to the system and Uechi community." GM

Sometimes we just have to be reminded :idea: , thanks Sensei Mattson. :D

Post subject: Casting stones
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:03 pm 

"........ I see a definite problem with the depth of training of many American seniors." Kyoshi Mark

It s**ks that some of us are 'geographiclly challenged' and were unable to leave our familys to live out our days on the island.

My quandry though ; while wallowing in self pity here in southern Maine (due to my lack of real, 'legitimate' Uechi training ) is WHO CARES MARK !!!! Say one possitive thing Mark...... :twisted:

All the bellyaching and whining you do does nothing to promote Uechi Ryu. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:27 pm 

I think these are the funniest 2 clips I've ever seen....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeJju8rUIJs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APwfZYO1di4

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:17 pm 

Oh Robb

Get off GEM and Van's tip...

We tangled years ago, go play with Lewis.

It is i%$#@s like you that degrade Uechi by trying to add piss poor knowledge and methods that are already in Uechi.

You are exactly the type of "senior" I am talking about.

Due to poor instruction and even poorer advanced Uechi knowledge your and your peers can't find his Uechi ass with both hands.
Enough said...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:51 pm 

Here you go.... ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSH6aVlqtiY

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:59 pm 

OUCH!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSH6aVlqtiY

Oh man this is some of the funniest stuff I've ever seen!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Trim the fat....
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:04 pm 

My understanding is "The Corps" had to let you go due to your fitness level Mark, perhaps it's time 'we' trimmed the fat too ! 8O

I cannot engage in war of wits with an unarmed man . :wink:

Post subject: Wowwwwwwww......
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:45 pm 

C'mon Robb... That's pretty lame... Sort of expected something at least a little entertaining from you....
:roll:

Post subject: Gentlemen. . .
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:09 pm 
Site Admin

Mark criticizes Van and me for deleting his past communication on these forums. Van's computer has been down or he probably would have deleted this thread again.

Mark: If you wish to discuss the benefits of training on Okinawa, everyone would certainly enjoy learning about your views and would benefit from your experiences. But with your past and current reputation in this area, most will simply read into your post that unless you trained on Okinawa, your Uechi-ryu is bogus.

If this is true than at least you should let all those unfortunate individuals know what skills you have that they can never hope to possess.

Robb: You should know better than to engage in a personal attack on anyone on these forums. I believe the worst thing Mark said about you (besides being a non-Okinawa-trained pretender) was that you somehow was sitting on Van and my "tip". Now I don't know what this means, but it must be very bad!

For the record, I don't (and I believe I speak for Van) don't make our students sit on anything, nor do we force them to do anything. We both have spent a lifetime building a strong and dedicated group of students who are taught and practice Uechi-ryu that equals anything taught and practiced anywhere.

Post subject: Standards...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:09 pm 

I have watched and enjoyed this Forum for many years.. But one thing that I don't enjoy is the sided thing.. To be honest I began the tread about a concept of integrity in this Art that we all enjoy, but have set certain standards for... My comment never mentioned anyone in particular, and wasn't very much different than the thread that many of us agreed upon in Sanchin Shime started by Van..I respected to stay anonymous about the Okinawan Instructor in Van's thread as I respected the concerns here GEM..Even though I know exactly who was being spoke of...
I'm not speaking for Mark and don't need to.. I'm speaking from my own perspective.. And what I see is that maybe people do "read into" what he says... I didn't see anything in his original statement on here that should offend anyone.
I don't really know why people read into things so much.. But as far as Mark's ability to train and knowledge of how to push myself to the next level, I couldn't ask for a better Sensei or friend. Do we see eye to eye all the time? NO!!! Did he teach me nuances in the Katas that took it to a higher level? Absolutely!!! Did he teach me very good applications from the Kata that is like magic? Yes..My goal since I was a White belt was to break 2 boards with a Kokushiken as I witnessed Kiyohide Sensei perform at a Koshukai one year... Because Mark taught me a better way to form my weapon, I can now break 3 boards with a kokushiken (not that it matters, but just a personal goal)...
As far as anyone recommending he gets help?? Again, it looks like propaganda to me.. He hadn't said anything today and it seemed like the thread would have a positive ending.. I myself really enjoyed what Otto had to say last night.. But now it looks like kids in a school yard deciding who wants to play on the popular kids team.
Well, I have to train now... Hope everyone can work out their own issues and have decent and important discussions again some time in the future.. I left a clip below..Hope everyone can see it's worth..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqPRWWu4 ... re=related

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next