An overtraining problem a Uechika may see

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Steve Hatfield wrote:
I still haven't been able to attempt striking a board with my sokusen yet and that's my next goal so I was interested in your posting.
I wouldn't make it a lifetime goal. I did board breaking once... As Bruce Lee one stated in Enter the Dragon, "Boards don't hit back."

What you'll find out when you get uses for our Uechi Pointy Things (TM) is that it's only half about hitting things. And when you hit things, you should be looking for targets and not to break things. The other half of Uechi is grabbing with all these tools. It truly is a bridge style in-between striking and grappling. Plus... as I am want to tell my students, even a halfassed sokusen is the right technique to use when attacked, because you very likely will have normal clothes on and be wearing shoes. For some reason, the bad guy won't attack us in the dojo when we are wearing our pajamas.
Steve Hatfield wrote:
I haven't found jars yet but have found that filling large coffee containers sort of fits my boshekin grip.
Good for you!

We've had a couple of threads on that. I have the jars, but they're useless. They're too fragile. And I haven't found a good jar alternative (yet) that somebody is still selling.

But I am using empty protein powder jars filled with stuff... And dumbbells with impressions in them... and whatever I can. And we're working on a good alternative.
Steve Hatfield wrote:
Thanks for the information.

PS: Interestingly I have a picture of Master Ken Nakamatsu standing next to me and I remember thinking he was relatively thin (but not skinny or whimpy looking).
My pleasure.

Nakamatsu's abilities are inhuman. I first met him on Thompson's Island circa 1983. He was out in the field doing shoken push-ups for grins (with nobody looking on). There's a picture of him doing a one-handed push-up in Alan Dollar's book. With only the tips (NOT prints) of his index finger and thumb. Check it out yourself. Yes, that's sick!

And yea, forearms like Popeye. They are unreal.

But no doubt he worked his ass off to realize his abilities.

- Bill
Steve Hatfield

Post by Steve Hatfield »

I guess I should qualify that life goal. I'm not gonna loose any sleep if it never happens. It's just a little mental goal so that I gain confidence in that sokusen. Something I've always wanted to do. It could also come after an inner thigh kick to a bad guy. I'm in my mid fifties right now so I'm not "as" intent on seeing how hard I can become. But I also understand how confidence is gained when one gets to put a technique into practice successfully.

And I'm all about targeting. I was never real powerful so I figured I'd overcome that lack of power with speed and accuracy.

I have Alans book and it's sick for sure. At any rate, thanks for the discussion.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

mhosea wrote:
My problem with gout was that I didn't have any known family history of it, and I just wasn't familiar with the disorder until 15 years after it started affecting me. I followed the typical male pattern--something hurts, wait for awhile and see if it gets better, only go to the doctor if it doesn't.
I need to seize on these posts before they get edited. :lol:

As you stated before you shortened this post, yes - it would be nice if they checked uric acid levels on a routine screening. And for what it's worth... One of my old diet gurus (Robert Haas) similarly recommended people know their uric acid levels so they wouldn't be consuming too much protein. While some debate his obsession - particularly those who follow an Atkins diet - it is a good idea to know if you're one of the few who has uric acid clearance issues.

Glad to hear you're on top of things.

- Bill

P.S. I don't recommend you go buy Eat to Win. In his early years, Haas had an obsession against fat. As it turns out, there are some good fats (like fats from fish, nuts, olives, and some vegetables) that you absolutely should be getting in your diet. He corrects some of these deficiencies in his book Eat to Succeed. But his basic idea can be applied by knowing all about the glycemic index, and understanding that we should be avoiding the "bad fats" (saturated, hydrogenated, trans fats, etc.) as much as possible. In short... no land animal fats, no man-made fats, no sugar, and no high fructose corn syrup. Get most of your food from the outside isles of the grocery store.
Stevie B

Good way to train Sokusen

Post by Stevie B »

I found a really good way to train a Sokusen is to practice a few kicks on partners while performing Ashikatai..The harder outer side of the leg of course.I've used tires, Sokusen squats, (as Rick P Sensei teaches) but the feel of a good penetrating kick to the thigh is the best.. Of course with your partners permission and control depending on their ability to withstand. It not only helps you but your partner as well as most are just conditioned for the Ashi Kubi and shin...
The yoga mat is smart Bill.. It's not the toughness of the toe as much as the strength of the supporting tissue, just as in proper makiwara training..
mhosea

Post by mhosea »

Bill Glasheen wrote:I need to seize on these posts before they get edited. :lol:
:) Just re-read it later and decided it was too much of me rambling on about me.
Mike

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”