Charity Kids Tournament in RI

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Raffi Derderian

Charity Kids Tournament in RI

Post by Raffi Derderian »

Hi all,
I am very happy to announce that on May 15th I doing a charity tournament here in RI to benefit the Jimmy Fund. Naturally we all know what a worthwhile charity this is.
The event will be a the Crown Plaza hotel in Warwick, RI. 100% of all profits go to the charity.
I am limiting the competitors to 100. If you think you want to send some students, please contact me. I am only inviting a handful of schools and would love to see Uechi-ryu represented.
raffijkd@gmail.com

Thanks,
Raf
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Hello, Raffi!

That's a very worthy endeavor. Mid May? Should be a good time in New England. I'll spread the word.

Give my best to Susan, and let me know when/if we're near to crossing paths. Remember that I spend most of my time at a new zip code. You just never know...

- Bill
Raffi Derderian

thanks Bill.
Last year we did 3 charity tournaments that raised 900 lbs of food for the RI Food Bank,
The year before we did charity tournaments that raised $1200 for the Wounded Warrior Project.
In addition to the competitor fees, I am expecting corporate/private donations for the Jimmy Fund event.
More details soon.
I can't tell you how much satisfaction I get from doing these events.
Hope to see you soon.
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Where do we download forms?
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
JaySal

Post by JaySal »

Hi Raf.

Hope you have been well. Please email me the information.

I would be glad to come down and help out.

Take care,
Jay Sal.
Jay Sal
Semper Fi
Raffi Derderian

HI Fred,
Go to my website www.derderian-academy.com and there is link set up with the flyer and registration form.
This event is less about the competition and more about having a great day and making some money for a worthwhile charity.
Thanks for the support.
Raffi
(Bill, can you make this a sticky for me?)
Raffi Derderian

Re: Charity Kids Tournament in RI

HI everyone,
I'd like to update everyone on my event for the Jimmy Fund.
We have the referees pretty much set. Volunteers are all in place. Received almost $2000. in corporate and individual donations. All I need now are competitors and those registrations are starting to trickle in. I have done radio interviews and our local newspaper is coming to cover the event.
The event is 3 weeks away and in Karate time that is about 3 years. ;)
It is my desire to have a separate ring for Uechi-ryu. I have a couple of schools who have expressed interest so it should be no problem.
This should be a fun and competitive day.

Feel free to call me at 401-946-0384 or email at raffijkd@gmail.com if you want some info.
Hope to see you there.
Raf
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

We'd all like to hear a full report, Raffi!

- Bill
Raffi Derderian

Well, since you asked Bill. We had a "decent" turnout. I was shooting for 80+ kids and we had a little over 50. As always, Ed Oakley sent a whole bunch of his Uechi kids.
The event ran as smooth as silk. We only needed to run 2 rings so I could have 5 referees in each. No problems, no complaints. Many people gave extra donations when they registered. We had a couple of good corporate donations as well. And as is usual with these types of things, we all made some new friends. Best of all, we saw some excellent martial arts.

In the end, I am able to give the Jimmy Fund/Dana Farber Institute a check for $3200. Not quite the amount I was looking for, but it is still a nice feeling to do it.
Thanks for asking Bill. Hope you and everyone else is doing well. See you at summerfest.

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”