New book: Street Fighting Statistics, etc...

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

New book: Street Fighting Statistics, etc...

Postby mhosea » Fri May 27, 2011 8:28 pm

Long title: Street Fighting Statistics, Karate Technique Selection, and Medical Outcomes

http://www.DownloadKarate.com/index.asp?Sec_ID=385

I just bought the electronic version and downloaded it. Looks very interesting.

BTW, yes, I do have a copy of Rory's new book on the way.
Mike
mhosea

Re: New book: Street Fighting Statistics, etc...

Postby Van Canna » Fri May 27, 2011 8:53 pm

It looks interesting, Thanks Mike.

Learning never stops. You must be enjoying Rory's 'masterpiece' :)
Van
Van Canna

Re: New book: Street Fighting Statistics, etc...

Postby mhosea » Sun May 29, 2011 5:32 am

My copy of Rory's book is in the mail. I'm about 100 pages into Jason's book. I'm finding it interesting, yet rather unfocused in some ways. I often get to the end of a section without a clear idea of what the main point was. If the point was to make me draw my own conclusions from some information, then I guess it makes sense.

The overall point of the first half of the book is clear enough, however. His main premise is that what gets seen in the ER (and morgue, I guess) tells us what sorts of things work on a regular basis, rather that what might work once in a million times. This goes equally for what to use and what to train hardest to avoid or defend against. He's purposely neglecting what he calls ego-based outcomes (getting beat up but not seriously injured). He's also purposefully excepting the particular martial arts needs of LEOs in that analysis. There are some interesting implications there for grappling versus striking focus, and interestingly enough, there's some gender-based differences in the data as well, which might mean that the curriculum for women and men should be somewhat different if self-defense is the motive for training.
Mike
mhosea

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities