Diabetic Insulin Pumps?

Martial Artist get sick, have accidents, become disabled. This forum will focus on how these individuals cope with their condition while staying active in the martial arts and while living life to the fullest. Administered by Sensei Bill Bauknecht. He's been there and doing great! (You don't need to register in order to post here!)

Moderator: Available

Ronin1966

Diabetic Insulin Pumps?

Post by Ronin1966 »

Good Morning,

There are many different forms of the disease known as diabetes. :(

TYPE 1 diabetes requires INJECTIONS (or an Insulin pump) to try and help maintain ones ~sugar balance~ & health, via the insulin and some other factors. Without insulin injections/a pump, bad, bad things happen... some fast, most slowly.

My question, what do members, their cohorts, instructors, their diabetic friends do with their insulin pump DURING their practice?

I realize there is a very, very small population which might fit this question, but hey, it is worth asking... this is after all a very popular group!

Jeff
Sincerely,

Jeff
~Self-Defense~: Learning how to get out of one's own way! Kara-te: Learning how to smile in the face of all things...
Ryokan

Post by Ryokan »

Good question. I can see your dilemma.

I train and am not diabetic, my husband doesn't train and is (type I), and has a pump.

The leg straps came to mind, but sometimes there are exercises where you get kicked in the thigh.

I wonder if there are straps large enough to wrap around the torso so the pump would be on your back, then disconnect for sparring and breakfalls. I'm guessing you wouldn't spend a whole class doing those and so it would be relatively safe. After all, you can disconnect for swimming, bathing, and sex. :twisted:
Ronin1966

Diabetic Insulin Pumps....?

Post by Ronin1966 »

Good Morning

<<I train am not diabetic, my husband doesn't train and is (type I), has a pump.

Thank you for responding!

As a martial artist, who may or may not grapple occasionally, may or may not do rolls, breakfalls, etc... someone who spars from time to time I would assume... were he in your place, what would he do?

No matter where the pump is/was placed, it got smashed, crunched and came loose from its "secure spot". Got tired of chasing it across the floor, the clip snapping or having it embedded (sic. in my spine), it was taken off.

Only off for a very, very short time, I pulled severe high sugars (clinical DKA) without exception.

What do pump users do :? those who practice various sorts of "-te"?

[Oh, and as a woman (were you diabetic...) you could place the pump on a bra strap in the front as if you were wearing a strapless gown, so I've been told anyway.... on me said pump (hung from a tee shrit) would be at solar plexus height... bad, bad spot to hang the blessed thing]

There are MANY medical folks, on this list, lots of girlfriends, wives, husbands, come on folks chime-in here, speak up!?
Sincerely,

Jeff
~Self-Defense~: Learning how to get out of one's own way! Kara-te: Learning how to smile in the face of all things...
jjpein

Diabetes and training

Post by jjpein »

again, another old post I am replying to just hope its not a dead post...

In 2005 I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes (T2D) I think before that I saw some of the writing on the wall so prior to the confirmed diagnosis I stopped drinking all and any kinds of soda...cold turkey even...what I used to refer to as the "...Brown exlir of the Gods..." Anyway, without the soda and starting to watch what I stuck in my mouth I came down from 308lbs to my current 245lbs and have kept it off for all those years.

Now, at age 48 I decided to give BJJ a try, knowing full well that most of the others were half my age I continued on for a full year with a branch of Renato Taveras (shameless plug) local affliate. To tell you the truth there were days when I would get back in my car after a 2 hour class and thing....I'll just sleep here, nobody will care, but I gradually got more and more into it. Two things kept me going, First, I kept extra fig newton bars inside my gear bag.....in an outside pocket and if I had been through a long day at work then I would buy an energy sports drink and sip it on the way to class, i never finshed them. between the two I made it through class, got a couple of stripes on my white belt and unfortunately tore a rotator cuff towards the end.

Now at age 50+, I can tell you when a storm is coming....from the shoulder surgery but I have also learned to eat correctly for diabetes and for martial arts. I can also do chinups again, I use kettlebells for strength training and amd currently using power bands (J.C. Santana) for something I can take with me ANYWHERE. What I have found out is that living with T2D is about 80% diet and 20% workout...but that is how MY body reacts...and I don't play a doctor on TV as well...

I guess what I'm saying is that you can still function and function very well with T2D and you can still accomplish a world of things in martial arts but it does take planning and alot of extra work.

Thanks for reading my rant....
Jeb.
gmattson
Site Admin

Hi Jeb

Post by gmattson »

Thanks for finding this post from the past. I know there are many students and teachers who suffer from this condition and lots of conflicting literature on the subject.

Hopefully some of our medical friends will jump in with their advice.

(I know there are 'alternative' treatments for this condition that also can be discussed here)
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Ben Wall

Re: Diabetic Insulin Pumps?

Post by Ben Wall »

I've been a diabetic for about 25 years, on a pump for about 10 years, and practicing Uechi-ryu for about 10 months. After some experimentation, the best solution that I've been able to come up with, for a class that is about 1.5 hours starting at 7:30 PM, is:
-eat "dinner" no later than 5:30 PM. I usually eat pretty light for this meal, about 30 grams of low glycemic carbs.
-reduce basal rate insulin delivery by 20% starting at 6:00 PM and lasting for 4 hours
-disconnect the pump entirely right before class
-check bloodsugar at least every half hour, more often if I feel like it's dropping (I usually end up checking 4 or more times)
-I bring a quart of orange juice to class, and generally get through about half of it. Sometimes more, sometimes less.
-eat a 20-30 grams of carb snack immediately after class, usually a Clif bar. I only bolus for these carbs if my bloodsugar immediately after class is >150 mg/dl
-always bring an extra infusion set/insulin in case my infusion set gets knocked out or loose during class (this has only happened once so far)

This works well for me about 90% of the time. The other 10%, I either have a series of lows during class, or I have a bloodsugar spike (>250 mg/dl) in the hour or two after class.

Over all, although it's pretty complex to work it in, practicing Uechi twice a week has improved my bloodsugar control and my health in general. The good effects of the strenuous exercise seem to linger for about 48 hours.

I'd recommend the book Pumping Insulin for some good general guidelines on changing pump settings around exercise, and, of course, talk to your doctor.

~ben

Return to “Special Needs”