Master Arthur Rabesa Seminars

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

gmattson
Site Admin

Master Arthur Rabesa Seminars

Post by gmattson »

Good news. . . Uechi-ryu master instructor Art Rabesa is now available to teach dojo seminars. . .
Art will also be teaching at this year's SummerFest on Friday and Saturday as well as private sessions on Sunday.

Contact Art at 508-564-4386 to arrange a date.

Although Art is probably best known for his extraordinary fighting skills, he is also a gifted teacher in all aspects of Uechi-ryu.

To those of us who have known Arthur for many years, consider him to be one of Uechi-ryu's "Living Treasures"! Take advantage of this golden opportunity and call today!
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Bill Glasheen

Re: Master Arthur Rabesa Seminars

Post by Bill Glasheen »

gmattson wrote:
Although Art is probably best known for his extraordinary fighting skills, he is also a gifted teacher in all aspects of Uechi-ryu.
Art was in charge of Manny Neves and I when we were testing for our godan. He watched us go through dan kumite and seisan bunkai, and made comments afterwards.

While watching Manny and I try to kill each other in prearranged work can be entertaining and most certainly in the true martial spirit (a gentleman's agreement the day before), Art had plenty of very useful comments that added finesse to what Manny and I were doing with raw athleticism. He's a great example of a teacher who can take any exercise and squeeze the most value out of it. And he has a way of bringing you to another level without making you feel lacking in any way. It's just a wonderful learning experience for any student smart enough to appreciate everything he has to offer.

Art's a straight-laced guy - like the professional physical education instructor he is - who has a touch of a Chicago Mafia mindset and an entertainingly cynical sense of humor. I look forward to seeing Art at camp. And hopefully I'll get a chance to be around in one of his more casual moods. There's never a dull moment when he gets to story telling and martial commentary.

- Bill
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

...who has a touch of a Chicago Mafia mindset and an entertainingly cynical sense of humor.
:lol:

He's a 'hitman' all right...breaking a guy's leg in a tournament...almost killing those three punks that invaded his car in Boston one night...and that one punk who tried to blindside me at that Summer camp incident years back...well...it is a wonder he was able to walk again, I was afraid he had been brain damaged for sure as he lay on the ground convulsing. 8O

Rabesa the 'button man'...comes from good stock...his eighty year old father, once knocked out a sassy waiter in a restaurant for having remarked "you people" :lol:

Art would practice those kinds of scary hits by breaking two cement slabs together with his fists. :mrgreen:
Van
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

The "old timers' stories retold every year at our parties are more than worth the cost of our camp!

Ask Art to tell you a few stories about the Canadian tournaments. . . or the evening at John Hancock Hall where he had a 2x2 pole broken over his arm. (my brother -who is a master carpenter- examined the pole before the tournament and told me, after hitting a radiator with it, that the pole will break an arm before being broken)

It took five swings by a very strong helper, before that pole "splintered". . . It never did break entirely, but shredded! I have a photo somewhere, caught with perfect timing when the pole bent and gave up!

Art should have fired the guy who bought the pole!!! :)
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”