Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: I Moved My Own Cheese
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:43 am 
Site Admin

I changed my security paradigm this month, as I bought a home and moved off base. Talk about a difference in my way of thinking, now that I don't have a huge fence, 24/7 security, etc. It's a very low-crime neighborhood (nigh nonexistant), and even so, I still look at everything as some potentially malevolent detail that's going to come back and bite me in the arse.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:48 pm 

Smart of you to think in this manner, Jason. You can never let your guard down, regardless of the quality of your neighborhood.

What are you thinking of as 'defensive perimeter'?
i.e. _ door locks/fences/alarms/dog/firearms/force continuum plans/umbrella liability insurance etc.?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:44 am 
Site Admin

Van Canna wrote:
Smart of you to think in this manner, Jason. You can never let your guard down, regardless of the quality of your neighborhood.

What are you thinking of as 'defensive perimeter'?
i.e. _ door locks/fences/alarms/dog/firearms/force continuum plans/umbrella liability insurance etc.?

Doors: The locks need to be re-keyed. I'll be replacing them next year. The doors themselves are really well-made, with solid steel cores. The problem being the 'front' door having a window of the same height right next to it, wide enough to fit through. I doubt I could afford bullet-proof glass in those dimensions, so I'll likely be removing it. The garage doors have an internal locking mechanism, so if they're locked, you can't open them with a remote. I'm happy with those.

Fence: I may not bother with one. The yard's not that big, and we're restricted by homeowner association policies from having anything other than cedar for fencing material. I can climb these with ease. My yard would look and feel larger without them. I don't think it's worth limiting my surveillance ability.

Alarms: the house comes with a built-in alarm system. If I make promotion next year, I'll be activating it. Meanwhile I need to put alarms on the 1rst floor windows.

Dog: I have one, a boxer. I have no plans to get another. I have four kids, and cannot countenance the idea of having an animal in their vicinity trained to harm people. They're unpredictable enough as it is.

Firearms: my house has no hallways. It's a very nice design that eliminated the need for them, so a shotgun would be ideal. I don't have one yet. The 10mm remains my ideal weapon (fitted with a tactical light and laser pointer), with the .45-70 as a backup with the wife. Yes, she can shoot that thing! :D

Force Continuum: Living in Alaska, I have one of the most liberating castle-defense environments in the country. If my home is invaded, I can (if need be) stop a threat without worry of prosecution.

I'm going to have to look into umbrella liability. It rains alot here in Alaska. (joking, of course:) I have great insurance, but I don't know if I'm covered for use of force issues)

Last edited by Jason Rees on Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:33 am 

Sounds good, Jason. All the bases covered. :D