Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Mean Streets
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:43 am 

My good friend and renowned Uechi Kioshy…Manny Neves, has written a great article that George has posted on the front page of our site_ 'In life there are no rules' _

For most of my forum's readers of long standing, what he writes should ring a bell.
Quote:
…The third type is what can be called street karate. Guys that are familiar with fighting in the street environment know that it's the element of surprise and being sneaky, nasty, belligerent (and a few other adjectives) that matter most when overcoming an opponent. A true street fighter doesn't care what you know. Intimidation tactics are used to instil fear in the most seasoned fighter, thus, neutralizing most of the skills you thought you knew.

http://uechi-ryu.com/j/component/conten ... e-no-rules

Post subject: Re: The Mean Streets
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:45 am 

And that brings to mind dojo training, the way we train, the way we think and assume our routine training will affect our street performance under the situations Manny describes above.

Here I think what Rory miller posits in his two wonderful books on violence, is something to give some serious thought to:

Rory points out some of the details of real street violence that our training rarely prepares us for.

In a real fight, as you are dealing with what Manny describes…though your opponent's intent might not necessarily be lethal… your opponent's' will be trying to deliver as much force to your body as they can with no guarantee that once they have taken the fight out of you, they will stop damaging you.

He points out that someone is trying to kill you intentionally or will kill or maim you unintentionally, empty handed or with some weapon.

In our classes we train by 'feeding' each other a bunch of techniques in prearranged format, possibly working on concepts, just maybe, but lacking the street intent, the chaos and the surprise.

Rory goes on to say that on the street, your attacker will not be feeding you a technique or try to set up a layered combination to create an opening.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:46 am 

The attacker, single or multiple, will be 'beating you down' will not be holding back to protect you from injury or his fists from getting busted…he will not be concerned about keeping his defenses up as we do in our practice.

He writes that his 'defense' is that he is doing so much damage to you so fast that you can't think beyond that. This is how an assault works.

Think about his for a moment…

He aims at getting the advantage as soon as possible and ruthlessly pushes that advantage, with hands/feet/weapons…until it is over.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:47 am 

Rory writes that we pretend in our classes but rarely will this aspect of violence be taught to deal with in our classes…to do so will result most likely in the loss of whatever students we have.

He describes the 'feed' as something you direct at your partner, that looks like an attack but it is designed so as to get practice at working the 'technique' …a technique designed to be defeated, to give practice to block and strike, or block and strike simultaneously,

But they are not attacks…they are feeds.

In time, training this way, all our practice is composed of feeds…not attacks with intent to hurt/damage…and overwhelm physically and mentally…attacks, not a game with half hearted commitment that makes for such great contests of skills, distance and timing we constantly strive for in our classes.

Something to give some serious thought to.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:01 am 

Think for a moment the defense against the bear hug we practice in our Bunkai.

Rory writes that bear hugs and headlocks, as they might happen in a fight, are only transitional actions.

Rory[quote[ You don't get bear hugged just to be held, a threat wraps his big arms around you from behind either to pick you up and shake you[disorienting and intended as an intimidating show of strength] or to throw you into a wall, maybe to throw you over a balcony or a mall railing. What if he slams you from wall to wall?[/quote]

For more on this and to understand what you need to ingrain…keep reading his book 'facing violence' ….

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:41 pm 

Hi Van sensei,
Just today I saw a woman walking down the road and she was so involved in her texting she was clearly oblivious to anything around her. Texting also slows down a persons movement and makes it easier to approach quickly. If she were more aware she could at least let out a scream or run. As it was a strong rear bear hug attack would probably knock the wind out of her and she would quickly find herself a victim.

F.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:57 pm 

Hi Fred,

Good to hear from you. Well I think texting was an invention of the devil...as it brings him many souls for stoking his fire pit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:38 am 
Site Admin

I text a lot, but walking and texting just don't mix.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:33 pm 

Texting and driving also. I don't know how many times I have to honk to wake up someone from their "electronic world" to drive their car through a light that turned green.

F.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:38 am 
Site Admin

TWD kills. It's as simple as that. You won't even have alcohol to blame.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:22 pm 

Oprah did what she could http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Watch-the-Full-Hour-Americas-New-Deadly-Obsession-Video. I didn't see the show, but my wife told me about it, and it was easy enough to find it online. Since that show aired, several more states, including MA, passed laws banning TWD.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:36 am 

I'm a big fan of Rory Miller and love his books. As far as I'm concerned he's one of the go to guys in the self defense world.
I agree, "feeds" is a good name for some of the movements used in training drills. I've always tried to train in real world self defense, had to, I was a DT instructor by trade. My life and my men's lives depended on it, literally.
However, and this is a pretty big however to me, self defense is not the only thing involved to the training of Karate, or any Martial Art that I know of. I didn't first walk into a "street fighting school" I walked into a Karate school. It's the same door I would walk through today.

Maybe some of the drills in Karate should evolve to something else, I don't know. But if all I want is self defense.....well, I wouldn't be me anymore. I hope that makes sense.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:31 am 

Van, you have unending patience. Someone asked me the other day, knowing I train, how you "defend" against such-and such, and knowing I work on head movement in boxing. I said you don't defend against anything, you don't necessarily do any headwork if you're being spontaneously attacked. I started to say you just assault to survive the surprise assualt, but I lost the audience, and decided it wasn't worth the effort (I was wrong, but I can't do it. :D)

Kudos to you, and for over ten years I have refered people to your forum if they are actually interested.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:20 am 
Site Admin

TSDguy wrote:
Van, you have unending patience. Someone asked me the other day, knowing I train, how you "defend" against such-and such, and knowing I work on head movement in boxing. I said you don't defend against anything, you don't necessarily do any headwork if you're being spontaneously attacked. I started to say you just assault to survive the surprise assualt, but I lost the audience, and decided it wasn't worth the effort (I was wrong, but I can't do it. :D)

Kudos to you, and for over ten years I have refered people to your forum if they are actually interested.

If I had a 'Like' button here...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:27 pm 

Otto,

I agree with you 100%. Karate has the 'do' component and the 'jutsu' component, all in one.

The 'Do' is what is best pursued by the long term practitioner, as you outline.

The jutsu component is what merits continuous dissecting with the changing times and violence dynamics…something Rory is King at.

TSD guy and Jason…thank you much for your kind remarks. It is nice to know that my hard work continues to be appreciated by people in the 'know'_It has been mainly a thankless job over the long years…having had to put up with many losers coming on board with an 'axe to grind' because of their own inadequacies and wobbling pedestals.

And TSD, you are so right in saying you 'lost the audience' ….It is not easy to convince the 'block and counter' crowds of the reality of violence dynamics, such as you understand and such as Rory points out.

Something here by master TFT instructor Brian, is of interest
Quote:
Tim - Here's principles I've learned from TFT (not in order of
importance):

- Aim small, miss small

- Strike the first thing that moves

- Don't use violence to solve social situations

- Understand the difference between life or death
confrontations and social violence

- Always focus on striking targets

- Principle based systems are superior to technique based
systems

- Never quit until the other guy is non-functional

- Always assume multiple persons in a violent confrontation

- Close distance - step through the other guy
- Always strike never block

- Have a first strike mentality - don't hesitate

- Become a sociopath in a life or death confrontation -
maim, cripple or kill

- Use kinetic versus static force

- Always have a center line focus - don't look at the face,
it will deceive you

- To be in cause state you must continually cause effects
in the other guy(s)

- Never get in the middle of a group in a multi person
violent confrontation - choose a side

- Your only weapon is your brain everything else is a tool

- In violence never focus on the other guys tools (gun,
knife, or club) focus on taking out his weapon (brain) -
simply taking away the tools and leaving the other guy
functional may cost you your life.

- Walk away from ego based confrontations - there is no
threat

- If you can use social skills to avoid violence do so, but
if it is asocial then there is only one option - violence

- You do what you train - make sure you train for the real
world

- Occasionally take away dominant side during training -
it'll make you a more complete fighter

- Become a 360 degree fighter NOT a 'one quadrant' fighter

- Give good reactions to your partner

- Don't try to 'teach someone a lesson or you may get
schooled'

- Always ask yourself "what is available to me" NOT "what
is being done to me?"

- Violence is not give and take - it should be over in 3-5
seconds

- Speed does NOT equal power

- There are no rules in violence - remove any such
boundaries or you will suffer the consequences

- Be brilliant at the basics (do your leg dynamics)

- Don't ever posture with violence

- Feign weakness to gain an unfair advantage

- Don't mimic your opponent - do the unexpected

- 2 inches of penetration is better than 20 slashes with a
knife

- Never square off with the other guy - strike when he
isn't aware or doesn't expect it

http://www.targetfocustraining.com/