Suparimpe Kata video

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

KYUechi

Suparimpe Kata video

Post by KYUechi »

This may be a good question for Bill or Glenn.
Any suggestions on the best youtube or other link for watching / learning Suparimpe Kata that is reportedly linked to Uechi? Glenn attempted to teach the kata to me when I was in Nebraska, but unfortunately it did not "stick". Thanks.
Bill Glasheen

Re: Suparimpe Kata video

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Hello!

This video is not on YouTube for several reason. First... all the films of it are copyrighted. And second, it's a very long form.

Your best bet is to go elsewhere on this page and get the video. I produced it over a period of several years, with Bill Jackson doing most of the filming/editing. All the profits go to George, who operates this website.

Uechi-ryu's Lost Kata? Suparempi

By the way, that's me to the left of Ryuko Tomoyose - about 18 years ago. Scary... :lol: The 80s mustache is gone, a goatee is present (and white) and the hair is a bit shorter.

If you've ever walked through this form with me or anyone else, then the video will help you remember it and get through it. It's filmed from three different directions at middle speed. And in one clip, you can hear me talking people through the form at camp.

I am probably happier with the way I do this form today (even though I'm a bit older). It has affected me a lot both in the way I now flow (better) and use my core. But the basic movements are all there.

If you want to see Simon Lailey doing it (Simon showed me the form, and he learned it from the master in China) then you can get this video in the same general area.

Lailey's Superempi

That was filmed right after he came back from China. He hadn't quite assimilated the form, and he had "Goju-ized" it a bit. (Simon was originally a Goju Ryu practitioner, and it shows.) He even does it a bit differently each time. But you get to see the contrast, and get to hear Simon comment about the form. That's worth the price.

By the way, the more common spelling is Suparinpei. I call it Fuzhou Suparinpei to distinguish it from the more well-known Goju Suparinpei. Or if you want the Chinese name of the form (told to me by Simon), it's Yi bai lin ba bu or 108 steps. (Presumably steps to enlightenment - a Buddhism reference)

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I forgot...

One of the people I taught at camp (Victor Swiminer) has filmed himself doing the form, and posted it.

Fuzhou Suparinpei

He rushes through the form way too much; you'll never learn it from this fuzzy and quick video. But of all the people I've taught the form to, I'm most happy with his execution.

Everyone puts their own spin on the form if they practice it long enough. This version is all Victor. He misses a couple of subtle details and adds a thing or two. But it's still a great rendition.

- Bill
KYUechi

Post by KYUechi »

Thanks Bill. I may need to invest in one of those dvd's.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Hi Bert!

If you get the chance you should work with Bill on it, you will learn a lot more about it from him than I could teach.
Glenn
KYUechi

Post by KYUechi »

Glenn,

I have no doubt that Bill would be excellent to learn from. However, you did just fine, considering the student you had to work with :wink: .

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”