Can we stop with the media fawning over Obama already?

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Can we stop with the media fawning over Obama already?

Post by Bill Glasheen »

The press couldn't get enough of this today...

Raw Video: Obama Sings Al Green

Oy veh! Obama throws the opening pitch of a baseball game and the press is amazed. Obama reads off a teleprompter and he's an oratory genius. Sorry... I can't take it any more.

Hey, Barry, I'll challenge you to a Karaoke sing-off of this song. I'm not that good, but you're not either. I can take you beatch! :twisted:

Alrighty now... For you kiddies who don't know the original song, here it is.

Al Green - Let's Stay Together

Now if you want to hear some artists do this song justice, here are two of my favorites.

Tina Turner

Maroon 5

Nuff said.

Stick to your day job, Barry. At least this year anyhow... :P

- Bill
eric235u

Re: Can we stop with the media fawning over Obama already?

Post by eric235u »

he is by far the most interesting pres we've had in a while. i would gladly have a beer with him. how can they not fawn after the bush years? how can they not fawn after looking at the current gop candidates? and on a slow news day? makes sense.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

You argue best when you argue my point.

Sorry, Eric, he's no Al Green.

Now Tina Turner and Adam Levine... They do that song well *and* they sing their own style. It's like listening to Joe Cocker sing With A Little Help From My Friends or Jimi Hendrix sing All Along The Watchtower. You're not getting warmed-over Ringo Starr or Bob Dylan. You get a cover song executed in the unique style of the artist who delivers it. That, my friend, is singing. That is art.

That ain't art off a teleprompter.

For the record... I firmly believe we should approach our martial arts the same way.

- Bill
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

Depends on which press, Bill. I've personally enjoyed the coverage of his encounter on the tarmac with Arizona's governor. :lol:

I find the majority of the press' behavior towards POTUS disturbing and remniscent of NKorea's media glamorization of Dear Leader.
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Jason Rees wrote: I've personally enjoyed the coverage of his encounter on the tarmac with Arizona's governor. :lol:
As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

I thought about posting this picture - sans explanation - and asking people to interpret the body language of the two. Of course many have read about it by now, and understand it's a reaction to a reaction to a reaction about the federal government clashing with Arizona about the enforcement of illegal immigration laws. And when you think about all the political implications of that and who is pandering to whom, that alone will make your head spin.

But back to "the media fawning over Obama"... Yet another interesting layer came about on Sunday with the press reaction to it all. On ABC This Week, there was a brief discussion of it by the Roundtable panel. The participants this week were George Will, Donna Brazile, Austan Goolsbee, and Laura Ingraham. Donna, an advocate of the Democratic party and of issues related to African Americans, found the Arizona governor's communication with the president to be "disrespectful". She ranted for several minutes about it. And the rest of the panelists? In the words of George Will, 'Much ado about nothing.'

Clearly some people view this president with a degree of reverence, while finding a press assault of other politicians to be fair game. But when the tables are turned...

On the Sunday morning Fox News panel, a conservative-leaning group except for Juan Williams, several of the panelists (including Juan Williams himself) used the expression "thin skinned" to describe the president's need to confront the Arizona governor on the airport tarmac (above). Interesting...

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”