It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:47 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Broken Dojo
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:14 am 

This really caught my eye. :(

http://www.karatebyjesse.com/?p=3632

Post subject: Re: The Broken Dojo
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:14 am 

The writer sure used a roundabout way to make a point that had nothing to do with the example used.

I smell reefer. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:35 am 

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:28 pm 

Otto wrote:
The writer sure used a roundabout way to make a point that had nothing to do with the example used.

I smell reefer. :)

Yes a roundabout way. Writes like I think (no reefer involved :wink: ). The "broken window" theory was something I noted when I lived in a boarding house that was in need of repairs. The area also had an abandoned building and a couple other rental properties in need of repairs. Constantly it attracted "bad things" to happen around the vicinity. Fights, unnecessary noise (public intoxication) , vandalism, theft and other related activities. A bad neighbourhood? Maybe...how about the playroom where nobody has to pick up the toys or be accountable if they get broken. Our environment does play a large part in how we behave. A lot of people will not be willing to "break the first window" yet will without thought and often out of character, will break another if they sense they are in an environment of uncaring. As much as we may dislike it, how we dress and how we maintain our space will affect how others behave.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:44 pm 

Good post Leo.

Piles of trash and trashy places attract rats...and where rats abound the survival instinct in rats or men gives rise to extreme behavior at times.
Quote:
The Broken Window Theory explains this, and tells us that behaviour is a function of social context.

See this....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

Quote:
Thus, Giuliani's "zero-tolerance" roll out was part of an interlocking set of wider reforms, crucial parts of which had been underway since 1985. Giuliani had the police more strictly enforce the law against subway fare evasion, public drinking, urination, and the "squeegee men" who had been wiping windshields of stopped cars and demanding payment. According to the 2001 study of crime trends in New York by George Kelling and William Sousa,[3] rates of both petty and serious crime fell suddenly and significantly, and continued to drop for the following ten years.

Anybody ever come up against a "squeegee men" ? :lol:

Some people may find this reasoning far-fetched. Nonetheless, it made a man named Bernhard gun down four people in the subway and called a hero for it, something which is completely illogical.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:48 pm 

And this....

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2005/0 ... heory.html

Quote:
Philip Zimbardo, a Stanford psychologist, reported in 1969 on some experiments testing the broken-window theory. He arranged to have an automobile without license plates parked with its hood up on a street in the Bronx and a comparable automobile on a street in Palo Alto, California.

The car in the Bronx was attacked by "vandals" within ten minutes of its "abandonment." The first to arrive were a family--father, mother, and young son--who removed the radiator and battery. Within twenty-four hours, virtually everything of value had been removed. Then random destruction began--windows were smashed, parts torn off, upholstery ripped. Children began to use the car as a playground. Most of the adult "vandals" were well-dressed, apparently clean-cut whites.

The car in Palo Alto sat untouched for more than a week. Then Zimbardo smashed part of it with a sledgehammer. Soon, passersby were joining in. Within a few hours, the car had been turned upside down and utterly destroyed. Again, the "vandals" appeared to be primarily respectable whites.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:31 pm 

I admit, the thread did start me thinking.

Maybe I should have walked to the neighboring town and thrown Fred out the window the week United Studios first opened. :)
Hey, I can dream. Probably would have been a good thing. And I could have changed my name to Bernie.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:11 pm 

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:37 pm 

never heard of the broken window theory. interesting.

i was a teen in nyc in the early to mid 80s. the subways were crap. crack was exploding. heh, i remember once as a 14 year old i was wandering around 42nd st at about midnight. there would be a little group of cops, then a little group of guardian angels, a little group of whores (they loved flirting with the skinny white kid) and then a little group of drug dealers. then the pattern would repeat as you walked down the street. lots of broken windows. i haven't been to ny since. i've heard it's a much nicer place now.

think i'll give the dojo a good cleaning before the workout tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:47 pm 

stumbled across this: http://youtu.be/yCI3U5-TJmQ