Oh to be back in Kentucky right now

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Glenn

Re: Oh to be back in Kentucky right now

Post by Glenn »

The difference in reaction between Lexington and Louisville is hardly surprising, given how unfortunately commonplace it has become for fans of the winning team to be destructive when celebrating a perceived major victory. We see the news reports every year for both college and pro sports. If Louisville had won then I have no doubt there would have been unrest in the Falls City while Lexington would have been subdued. :roll: Of course the reaction is still a black eye for UK fans.

Fortunately the police and fire departments in both cities were expecting it and prepared, which kept the situation from getting worse in Lexington. It also helped that, as was reported in other sources,
most students who were out celebrating abided by the law and were helpful when "a few bad apples" caused problems
This was just a Final 4 game (albeit between strong intrastate rivals) though, for either Lexington or Lawrence the real test for riot control will come tomorrow night
Lexington police brace for Monday after 27 arrests on Saturday
Last edited by Glenn on Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

f.Channell wrote: So both our ancestors helped to correct TJ's failure to free the slaves..... :lol:
To be honest I'm not finding your hijack of this thread either amusing or enlightening. Your penchant for looking at history through this obsession is very sad.

If you really are hell bent on a fight, take it to another thread. Adam's thread in fact was probably more appropriate for this.

I'll be sure to remind you how you and your ancestors failed to prevent (pick a random atrocity). Better yet, I might even ignore you.

The rest of us will talk Kentucky/Kansas and basketball from this point forward.

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Glenn wrote: If Louisville had won then I have no doubt there would have been unrest in the Falls City while Lexington would have been subdued. Of course the reaction is still a black eye for UK fans.
It's worth mentioning that:

1) Louisville made The Final Four without any inappropriate celebrations. They frankly weren't even supposed to make it that far, being ranked number 4 in the region.

2) Kentucky's entrance into The Final Four (as a number 1 seed) was met with unrest (couch burnings, conflict with police, etc.). It was a milder version of what we witnessed last night, but inappropriate nonetheless. It's why riot police were ready last night in Lexington. It might have been worse.

You are correct that it is a black eye for UK. Fans don't realize that these events can be either good or bad publicity for The University. As I've discussed before, winning teams often experience an uptick in admissions to the school. Apparently the students didn't get the memo about the country watching.

It really is a shame. This UK basketball team is nothing short of NBA caliber. I haven't seen this much high-flying talent since the days of Houston's Phi Slamma Jamma. Students should not be upstaging their team with bad behavior.

- Bill
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Actually there was supposed to be a rolling eyes emoticon after my comment about Lexington would have been subdued if Louisville had won. Frankly I think it would have escalated from unrest to riot if that had happened...and unfortunately would not have been the first time for such a reaction to a major loss to have occured in Lexington either. But I still think Cardinal fans would have let loose a bit too.

Neither here nor there at this point though, onward to the championship game.
Glenn
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

While waiting for the finale, I thought you'd enjoy these headlines from The Onion.

Kentucky Celebrates Regional Win By Cutting Down Anthony Davis' Unibrow

Superstitious Rick Pitino Admits He Has Gone All Month Without Changing His Hair Grease

- Bill
KYUechi

Post by KYUechi »

The difference in reaction between Lexington and Louisville is hardly surprising, given how unfortunately commonplace it has become for fans of the winning team to be destructive when celebrating a perceived major victory.
Glenn, I think there was a concern among some, as to how fans of the losing team would react to the loss. I can't help but wonder if the Cats' fans would have taken the loss as graciously.

Since they were expected to win this match-up, and are the #1 seed, I think they may have felt the opportunity (entitlement?) was stolen from them should the cards have come out on top.
Thus, there may have been more fan confrontations. Just a thought.

PS: I was and still am rooting for UK.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Congratulations to UK for an NCAA National Championship (number 8 ).

I win the office pool, and all my proceeds will go to the victims of the recent tornadoes in southern Indiana.

And UK fans still need to learn how to celebrate gracefully.

- Bill
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

revelers said the post-game celebration was a far cry from the weekend mayhem. They credited heavy security.

"It was much worse Saturday," said 20-year-old Miranda Snow, who recalled seeing couch fires and other blazes two nights earlier.

UK sophomore Cameron Chaney, 20, agreed. "It seems like they have more authorities tonight."
Geesh Bill, what more do you want?! :D

Seriously though, the various news reports I have checked seemed to indicate that it was better last night. They mention a few arrests last night and then go back to talking about Saturday's mayhem and show pictures of the burning car from then. But the reporting is jumbled enough that it's not entirely clear if there was anything like that last night or not. There was one reported shooting, but no indication if it was actually had anything to do with the celebration.
Last edited by Glenn on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Glenn wrote: The news reports today still keep focusing on showing the mayhem from Saturday, so it's not clear if there was anything like that last night.
Much less, but partly due to them having zero tolerance for the mayhem. Local news reports showed them carting students off en masse with plastic ties around their wrists. That tends to get their attention. When mommy and daddy need to drive to Lexington to get their kid out of jail...
Glenn wrote: One reported shooting, but no indication if it was actually influenced by, or even part of, the celebration.
This from the AP.
Updated: April 3, 2012, 3:29 PM ET

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Police say doctors amputated the foot of a man who was shot in the leg during raucous celebrations in Lexington of Kentucky's NCAA basketball championship.

Lexington police spokeswoman Sherelle Roberts says 31-year-old Harold Calloway remained hospitalized Tuesday afternoon. He was shot around 2 a.m. as Kentucky fans were celebrating in the streets. No arrests have been made in the shooting.

Roberts says police don't typically identify wounded victims, but Calloway has outstanding criminal warrants in Indiana.

The celebrations around Lexington spilled into the streets shortly after Kentucky's 67-59 win over Kansas and lasted into the early-morning hours Tuesday. Authorities reported numerous small fires and dozens of arrests.

Robert says police are preparing a report on arrests and other incidents for later Tuesday.
More details here.

One shot, many arrested in Lexington

- Bill
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Well out-of-control revelry is all too typical for UK fans after such a victory, but I think having a shooting is new, and most unfortunate for the victim.

Here is an interesting take on the media using the term "riot" to describe last night's events
Kentucky Students Did Not Riot In Lexington After NCAA Tournament Win
Glenn
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Glenn

Apparently the president, general manager, and editorialist of this Louisville station shares some of my concerns. And that's putting it mildly. The word "harsh" comes to mind.

VIDEO: A Riot - Not a Celebration (4/5/12)

I couldn't think of a better way to convey how strongly reporters and editors of local news stations feel about what transpired. The national view wasn't at all sensationalized. What you saw is what happened.

We are harshest with those we care for, because we want and expect more from them. (Just ask my sons.)

- Bill
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

And he is correct, the misdeeds of a few fans have totally distracted everyone from the accomplishments of the team. The sad thing is that it will happen again somewhere, possibly even latter this year with some pro or college championship, although the current spotlight may quell it for a while. So how can schools/cities prevent such behavior in the future, particularly given there is alcohol involved and never enough police on the payroll to control the size of crowds that gather for thses events?
Glenn

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”