"Age is a very high price to pay for maturity" Tom Stoppard

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

"Age is a very high price to pay for maturity" Tom Stoppard

Postby Otto » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:27 am

This aging stuff is a royal pain in the arse. I think Martial Artists feel it more than others, especially when the years of training blur by. We are more aware of details, of minute measures of time, timing and distance, and the fact that we don't quite have that edge that we used to. We are more susceptible to minor injuries affecting our skills. We are sometimes thrown off our game because of a silly little thing that wouldn't have even been a concern twenty years ago is now doing something that is messing us up. It goes unnoticed by others, at least for a while, because, hey, we know our way around and we adapt. But it still su*ks.

Everything hurts now. And it takes longer to not hurt anymore. And it never quite goes away.(Sons a' bitches!) But, man, it's still better than anything else. And it might not be as exciting as it used to be, but it sure is one hell of a good time. :)

Would any of you change anything? Given the chance?
Otto

Re: "Age is a very high price to pay for maturity" Tom Stop

Postby Jason Rees » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:44 pm

Knowing what I know now, I probably would not have done Judo. Bar-none, it was the most injury-causing system I ever explored, and I would have been spared innumerable aches and pains over the years.
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Re: "Age is a very high price to pay for maturity" Tom Stop

Postby Van Canna » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:12 pm

I agree...at the time I took up Uechi, I was into judo...and combat jiu-jitsu...I was lucky in that as a soccer player I was 'married' to slam falls and rolls...yet the potential for injuries made me think twice...and slowly I migrated to Uechi...being initially irritated by the 'Kata thing' and lack of 'one on one' slam banging...until George allowed us to spar and enter tournaments. :)
Van
Van Canna

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities