Rare Uechi Ryu Book?

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Glenn

Rare Uechi Ryu Book?

Post by Glenn »

There is a book currently listed on Ebay that I have not seen before, it was written by George and published in 1971. Is it George's Uechi-ryu Karate-do published under a different name and cover in Australia, or is it a different book?
MASTER KANEI UECHI'S KARATE Book #2 by George E. Mattson S/C 1971 Very Scarce
Glenn
Bill Glasheen

Re: Rare Uechi Ryu Book?

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Before George published Uechiryu Karatedo, he had published pieces and parts of it as small paperback books. The "yellow book" was a bunch of these smaller books strung together.

- Bill
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Interesting, I had not heard about, or come across, these pre-cursors to the Uechi-Ryu Karate-do book before, they must be very rare indeed. Thanks Bill.
Glenn
JaySal

Post by JaySal »

Hello Glenn.

Bill is 1000% correct that George wrote that book. In fact George wrote a series of five books like the one you saw on Ebay. I still have that complete set of five books. I bought that series of books more then 43 years ago when I attended the Mattson Academy of Karate - Boston at 3 Hancock St. That was one fantastic dojo. I still miss it to this day. In fact, I still have original copies of George's very first Yellow Book, the Red Book, The Gold Book, and of course the Hard cover Uechi Ryu Karate Do Black book. Oh, let’s not forget the original copies of George's book - The Way of Karate. I have that also.
PS - Sorry, none are for sale. They are Uechi Ryu treasures.

Take care,
Jay Sal
Jay Sal
Semper Fi
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Thanks for the added info Jay Sal. I agree with you, I will not part with the Mattson originals I own either. And given their current (and increasing) value, they probably should be specifically mentioned in my insurance and will!
Glenn

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”