Hello from Yorkshire, England

New members and old members are invited to introduce (or re-introduce) themselves to the community.

Moderator: Available

duncan harper

Hello from Yorkshire, England

Post by duncan harper »

Hi. I am the Duncan Harper who is the training partner of Alan Holmes. I also started Wado in the early seventies before the senior members of the club discovered Sensei Harry Benfield. We can neither of us figure out exactly when we started karate but it must be over 35 years ago. You would think I would know what I'm doing by now but we are still learning something new about uechi-ryu or ourselves every time we train.
gmattson
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Yorkshire, England

Post by gmattson »

Welcome to the forums Duncan. Did I meet you on my trip to Liverpool many years ago.?

I visited and taught at Harry's dojo during my Liverpool visit.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Welcome. Benfield was a great guy.
Van
duncan harper

Post by duncan harper »

Hello Sensei Mattson
Thank you all for the welcome. I believe we started training with sensei Benfield after your visit. I remember him talking about it and he still had some of your books available. I certainly remember sensei Bob Campbell coming to the Liverpool dojo. We travelled over from Yorkshire to train and saw him perform a wonderful Drunken Monkey sword form. I think I was a brown belt at that time. We were, at one time, travelling over to Liverpool every weekend to train, a round trip off about 200 miles. That was in the days of no children and few responsibilities.

Return to “Member Introductions”