Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Why visit Okinawa?!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:58 pm 

Hi Sensei:

I read this article today and thought you and your readers might get something enjoy it. We all know that great martial technicians can be found all over the world, and that one often NOT need to travel to "the east" to see the best of the best in action, teaching their art. But I agree with the article that the best part of training in Japan, Okinawa, China, or where ever, isn't the karate, but the people and the experience. I know this is topic we've talked about in the past and reading it today made me think of our conversations.

Hope you're staying cool. :lol:

Chip

http://www.karatebyjesse.com/why-every- ... o-okinawa/

Post subject: Re: Why visit Okinawa?!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:06 am 

Hello Chip,

Thank you for the thread.

The article was well written and reflective of the truth.

No question that there is much to gain from a trip to Okinawa. A dear friend of mine once wrote this to me
Quote:
One of the prime reasons for Okinawan longevity is their emphasis upon the importance of avoiding tension in every aspect of life.

The first calligraphy Ryuko Tomoyose gave me states " Sometimes you think you won, but you really lost and sometimes you think you lost and you've really won."

Looking back, I realize I've lived the reality of that a thousand times in and away from the context of martial art.

I've come to the conclusion that I've succeeded in keeping stress out my life only to the extent I can manage who is in my life - more importantly, who isn't. I value and pay attention to those I include and I ignore all the rest.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:42 am 

Thanks for sharing that sensei. I'm sure that kakemono provided plenty of opportunity for reflection. I'm a big believer in that everything happens for a reason, although even as I write this, there remain things that I wrestle with understanding the deeper and true reasons behind their being. Indeed, the mysteries of life never cease to amaze, do they.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:03 pm 

Hi Chip,

Very good observations. Here is another great comment by my friend
Quote:
Ideally, a balance should exist between respecting the past without being afraid to move into the future.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:28 pm 

Amen to that! I can't understand why so many people are afraid to truly study karate, as opposed to just practicing it. It's always so funny when I see people treat certain aspects of karate (like kata) as museum artifacts. As if the hammer was to precious to swing against something other than a nail.

Reminds me of the phrase, "eyes wide shut." :lol:

OSU!

Chip