Update on Martial Moron

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Update on Martial Moron

Post by Bill Glasheen »

A while back I posted a story about a high-ranking student who - training alone - tried to learn a kama form from video. This learning experience was attempted with freshly sharpened, fully bladed kama. One thing led to another, and a hand got cut off. Thanks to some quick emergency work and the right referral, the best possible surgeon for such a procedure at Medical College of Virginia intervened and reattached the limb.

Lessons from a Martial Moron

Recently I had a chance to visit the student. The good news... things are proceeding well. The thumb and all fingers work, albeit weakly. Feeling is working its way back up the hand, but still is only at the level of the palm heel. But still... the progress has been remarkable. Undoubtedly the training beforehand and the determination after the fact has helped a lot.

More surgeries will be needed to manage adhesions, etc. But that's all to keep the momentum going forward.

Meanwhile, we still have a practicing martial artist. 8)

- Bill
Glenn

Re: Update on Martial Moron

Post by Glenn »

How is his attitude and moral holding up? Determination has a way of waning or transforming into dispair as the long-haul wears on.
Glenn
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

You never really know... But so far so good. I haven't seen any external signs of PTSD or losing hope.

*I* wouldn't be doing as well.

- Bill
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

That's great to hear, Bill! Thanks for the update.
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.
Valkenar

Post by Valkenar »

When I was 17 I tripped and put my hand through a storm door, severing my ulnar nerve (and some other useful things). It took almost a year to finish healing. At 32 my hand is basically fine, but there's a certain patch of altered sensation (pins and needles) and certain motions with my fingers are impossible (the finger wagging motion). Not sure how that compares to your student's, but everyone is different anyhow.
Victor Smith

Post by Victor Smith »

I'm glad your student is recovering.

I had a friend who did the same 40 years age. A mess but he recovered.

I've only shared kama with senion students and make all aware of the danger. Not that I can do them any longer.
Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”