Why all athletes should do kotekitae

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Why all athletes should do kotekitae

Post by Bill Glasheen »

And engage in resistance training.

And get proper amounts of calcium, magnesium, zinc, vitamin D3, and vitamin K2.

And lay off the colas loaded with phosphate buffers.

Bones are living organs where osteoblasts and osteoclasts work in dynamic tension with each other to lay down and reabsorb minerals. The mineral deposits are what give bone its strength. Bone is a piezoelectric substance, which means it generates an electric current when you put stress on the material. The direction of said current is what helps the osteoblasts "know" where calcium should be deposited.

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Re: Why all athletes should do kotekitae

Post by Bill Glasheen »

When bones aren't all they can be...

boston.com wrote:CLEVELAND — Will Middlebrooks was hit by a 96-mile-per-hour fastball by Cleveland reliever Esmil Rogers in the ninth inning and left Friday night’s 3-2 victory over the Indians. According to a team source, he broke his right wrist.

Valentine said Middlebrooks was “hit in a bad spot” and was in a lot of pain.

Valentine said the rookie was struck on the side of the wrist, near the base of the hand, on the bone.
Yea, that's gotta hurt. But the percentages would be better if the bones were conditioned better.

I've seen it happen, and heard of it happening in Uechi Ryu. Someone once broke their forearm on my front kick doing a gedan barai. (The contact could have been avoided, but...) A master-level person in Uechi once broke her wrist in Okinawa when sparring for her shodan exam.

This is why good athletes do what they do. An injury avoided is the best kind.

- Bill
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

And lay off the colas loaded with phosphate buffers.
Is that all of them?
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Jason Rees wrote: Is that all of them?
Most but not all of them.

Carbonated beverages need to be locked at a certain pH to make "everything" work. Everything includes keeping carbon dioxide in solution (more bubbles mean you need a lower pH), getting the right flavor (lower pH makes something taste more tart like a lemon), get the right color, etc. The best way to titrate a beverage to the desired pH and hold it there is to include a buffer solution. For MOST brown beverages, it's a phosphate buffer. Usually that's a mix of phosphoric acid and a phosphate salt like sodium phosphate. Here they list just one of the two.

For the lighter colored beverages and for one non-cola brown beverage below, it's a citric acid buffer. That would be a mix of citric acid and sodium citrate.

The problem here is drinking too much of the phosphoric acid and sodium phosphate. Your body has a delicate balance between calcium and phosphate salts. That delicate balance is maintained in our kidneys. If you push that balance too far to the phosphate side, the kidneys will cause the body to shed calcium.

- Bill
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

So the clear/lighter-color pop is alright on that level?
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Jason Rees wrote:So the clear/lighter-color pop is alright on that level?
Apparently. And from what I've seen, root beer seems fine as well.
livestrong.com wrote: The Effects of Phosphoric Acid in Soda on Your Body

Osteoporosis

The Framington Osteoporosis study, published in 2006 in "The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition," found a reduction in bone-mineral density in the hips of women who consumed one cola beverage a day. These results were demonstrated in cola, but not carbonated non-cola beverages. The intake of phosphorus was not elevated in participants who consumed cola however the ratio of phosphorus to calcium was [not] optimal.
So it's OK to do the Dew. And I do. Diet Dew...

- Bill
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

I've switched to Diet, too, since changing some of my other habits. No sense in burning a ridiculous number of calories, only to replace them. I'm also drinking a great deal less of that (I enjoy one at work on shift, to kill the urge to visit the $2.00 pop machine). Back in my sleep apnea-addled days, I would consume three to six Mountain Dews in a day 'just to stay awake.'

I like Cherry Pepsi and Cherry Coke, but I only touch the stuff once a month or so at a restaurant whose non-alcoholic beverage choices are slim. I've never much cared for Sprite.
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

Speaking of habits, this is a wonderful book to help understand habits and how to change them:

The Power of Habit

Post edited by Bill to make the image work and the link more visible

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”